Jayface

DS 5540 form

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the Embassy are asking for DS 5540 form to be complete, or not?

On Travel.State.Gov there is no mention of it being needed to be brought along for your interview. 

I filed at NVC in November last year, before that was even a thing. My interview is next Monday and I’m getting things ready now. 

Thanks in advance. 

6 minutes ago, jarrod679 said:

Does anyone know if the Embassy are asking for DS 5540 form to be complete, or not?

On Travel.State.Gov there is no mention of it being needed to be brought along for your interview. 

I filed at NVC in November last year, before that was even a thing. My interview is next Monday and I’m getting things ready now. 

Thanks in advance. 

I would take one to the interview.  The NVC required it starting earlier this year so there are cases missed in the gap. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

According to the State Departments immigrant visa process website it may be required. It's probably a good idea to have it prepared and bring it with relevant evidence to the interview in case it is asked for. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-10-prepare-for-the-interview.html

4. Public Charge Questionnaire: DS:5540

You may be asked to present a completed DS-5540, Public Charge Questionnaire, and supporting evidence at the time of your interview. To prepare that documentation in advance, please visit the DS-5540 Public Charge Questionnaire page of this website.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:35 AM, LilyJ said:

Not personally yet but i emailed our embassy who informed us that they are now requiring the DS5540 at the interview. Yours may be as well

41 minutes ago, barevfamilyman said:

According to the State Departments immigrant visa process website it may be required. It's probably a good idea to have it prepared and bring it with relevant evidence to the interview in case it is asked for. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-10-prepare-for-the-interview.html

4. Public Charge Questionnaire: DS:5540

You may be asked to present a completed DS-5540, Public Charge Questionnaire, and supporting evidence at the time of your interview. To prepare that documentation in advance, please visit the DS-5540 Public Charge Questionnaire page of this website.

Yes, I just filled it out. Better to be safe than sorry. 

I’m sure they wont even ask for it, as the Affidavit of Support shows more than enough income and a good amount of savings.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, jarrod679 said:

Thanks in advance. 

@Melc interviewed July 6 (London CR1) and did not mention It being needed. The I-944 (public charge for adjustment of status) was mentioned not needed. 
The review is posted in the timeline. https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=331266

Edited by Wuozopo

5 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

@Melc interviewed July 6 (London CR1) and did not mention It being needed. The I-944 (public charge for adjustment of status) was mentioned not needed. 
The review is posted in the timeline. https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=331266

Yep! Nobody there was asked for the form while I was there. 
Everyone was asked about health insurance, though. That appears to have been the extent of it. 

It's also still not listed on the checklist of documents the embassy wants you to bring. 

24 minutes ago, Melc said:

Yep! Nobody there was asked for the form while I was there. 
Everyone was asked about health insurance, though. That appears to have been the extent of it. 

It's also still not listed on the checklist of documents the embassy wants you to bring. 

Ohh sorry. I just realised I put down the wrong public charge form in my timeline. I've updated the review. 

Yes, I'd filled in and brought the DS5540, not the I944.

Everything else holds. While there, nobody was asked for the DS5540, and the extent of public charge assessment appeared to be the affidavit of support and the question about health insurance plans. 

Cool, thanks guys. I wasn’t expecting to use it, but the form is filled out now and i’ll get it printed when I come to London this weekend. I’m not expecting they will want to see it, but it’s better to have and not need.. The wording on the form is “may”, I imagine that sort of stuff is scrutinised in more detail from other countries. From looking at my I-864, there would be no way anyone would suspect i’d be a public charge. 

@Melc How long did it take to get your passport back by courier? 

Just now, jarrod679 said:

@Melc How long did it take to get your passport back by courier? 

I interviewed on Monday and got a verbal approval.

CEAC changed to "issued" on Thursday.

I got the shipping notice on Friday, with tracking details. 

According to the tracking I should be receiving it tomorrow.

I'd heard stories about the pick up depots still being closed (indeed, that's what their website notice says) so I made sure to switch to delivery at the last moment. 

1 minute ago, Melc said:

I interviewed on Monday and got a verbal approval.

CEAC changed to "issued" on Thursday.

I got the shipping notice on Friday, with tracking details. 

According to the tracking I should be receiving it tomorrow.

I'd heard stories about the pick up depots still being closed (indeed, that's what their website notice says) so I made sure to switch to delivery at the last moment. 

yeah, I need to change mine to be delivered to the house.

When do you fly out?

I’m still expecting something to up. This whole process has taught me not to assume things are going to go smoothly. 

2 minutes ago, jarrod679 said:

yeah, I need to change mine to be delivered to the house.

When do you fly out?

I’m still expecting something to up. This whole process has taught me not to assume things are going to go smoothly. 

We had plans to fly out in August. Since we're both in the UK there's not as much of a rush as for all the people separated right now. 

19 minutes ago, Melc said:

We had plans to fly out in August. Since we're both in the UK there's not as much of a rush as for all the people separated right now. 

Cool, the best of luck to you both. 

Just received my passport & envelope this morning. 😊 

The visa annotations section specifically mentions the following:

Exception under PP on Risk to Labor Market

Exception under PP on Novel Coronavirus

Hopefully that will make it easier to board the plane as well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.