BC97

Scheduling Medical Appointment (K1)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

Received our case number today by calling NVC, and have completed the DS-160. My fiancee was told on the phone by NVC that they were holding on to London cases and not mailing them until the embassy reopens, so I'm assuming that it may be a while before we're actually mailed any of the official letters.

I was wondering however, if anybody could give me guidance upon whether I may be able to schedule the medical or not? Do we have to wait until the DS-160 is processed? Or can I schedule my medical once I have received my police certificate and seen my GP? 

Or do I need to wait for the embassy to get in touch with me and supply me with instructions before I schedule a medical?

New to both this sub-forum and stage of the process, so any insight or help would be appreciated in these uncertain times!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

you have to wait for a letter( could be email)  to schedule dr appt as you will take that with you 

and you would not want to do it to soon as the medical date is the visa expiration (usually 6 months from the medical)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, BC97 said:

Hi all,

Received our case number today by calling NVC, and have completed the DS-160. My fiancee was told on the phone by NVC that they were holding on to London cases and not mailing them until the embassy reopens, so I'm assuming that it may be a while before we're actually mailed any of the official letters.

I was wondering however, if anybody could give me guidance upon whether I may be able to schedule the medical or not? Do we have to wait until the DS-160 is processed? Or can I schedule my medical once I have received my police certificate and seen my GP? 

You can schedule your medical once you have an LND case number because they will ask you for it.  BUT when you attend the medical, they will want to see it in writing, either from the NVC correspondence that your case was sent OR from the embassy letter, both of which include the case number. So how can you be sure when you will get that confirmation??

You can be getting your things ready for the medical...4 passport photos, health care summary, shots/shot record, police certificate, and filling out the questionnaire. See their website. http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us-bring.htm
How to make the appointment http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us.htm

4 hours ago, BC97 said:

Do we have to wait until the DS-160 is processed?

That isn’t “processed”. Nobody looks at it until interview day. It just sits on a server somewhere.

4 hours ago, BC97 said:

Or do I need to wait for the embassy to get in touch with me and supply me with instructions before I schedule a medical?

Their “instruction” in the letter says get your instructions from the website here https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/. You do not need that letter for anything except to show the medical people, but showing them the NVC letter works too.  Do understand  that  until London receives your file, the system to book your own interview will not let you in. People who already had cases at the embassy or interviews cancelled have been booking interviews online for a month now. They were picking dates in July and now August. But you are going to have to wait on NVC.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
On 6/3/2020 at 4:10 AM, Wuozopo said:

You can schedule your medical once you have an LND case number because they will ask you for it.  BUT when you attend the medical, they will want to see it in writing, either from the NVC correspondence that your case was sent OR from the embassy letter, both of which include the case number. So how can you be sure when you will get that confirmation??

Their “instruction” in the letter says get your instructions from the website here https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/. You do not need that letter for anything except to show the medical people, but showing them the NVC letter works too.  Do understand  that  until London receives your file, the system to book your own interview will not let you in. People who already had cases at the embassy or interviews cancelled have been booking interviews online for a month now. They were picking dates in July and now August. But you are going to have to wait on NVC.

This has been, and will be a great help. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out!

I have one question however - I am using Greenbaum's guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nfin98c33IEpB0T0FlURERriblYmlm5O/view which says (step 19) that for your medical, you can request an email from NVC which shows your case number and visa category before they send the automated letters. I spoke to him about this and he was unsure as to what was the exact email needed for the medical, and whether it would be possible to do this before they send on to the embassy. Is my only option to wait for the embassy to reopen, and for NVC to give us the letter saying they've sent it, or can we request an email copy of our visa case number and classification (K1) which can then be used for the medical appointment before the embassy reopens? 

I'm just trying to find ways to move forward, as I don't think I'll be waiting past December for my visa from this point, even though the London embassy is closed at the moment. Going to get the vaccinations/ACRO certificate done in the next week hopefully.

i.e. Are there any ways to circumvent the need for the letter for the medical if we know we've been assigned the case number, and I had the ability to complete the DS-160?

Timeline
22 minutes ago, BC97 said:

.e. Are there any ways to circumvent the need for the letter for the medical if we know we've been assigned the case number, and I had the ability to complete the DS-160?

People call the NVC and get the LND number. They give that verbally to the medical people when they make the appointment.  I assume you have done that and made your appointment?

Do you have everything else you need for the medical day? 

If you can get correspondence from NVC that has your LND number in it, then that is sufficient to show at your exam. 

As far as the DS-160, I don’t think there is anything preventing you from doing it today. It doesn’t advance  your case timeline, but at least it’s out of the way.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

People call the NVC and get the LND number. They give that verbally to the medical people when they make the appointment.  I assume you have done that and made your appointment?

Do you have everything else you need for the medical day? 

If you can get correspondence from NVC that has your LND number in it, then that is sufficient to show at your exam. 

As far as the DS-160, I don’t think there is anything preventing you from doing it today. It doesn’t advance  your case timeline, but at least it’s out of the way.

Haven't made my appointment yet as wasn't sure if the email with confirmation of the LND number would be enough. We have that though as my fiancee was sent confirmation of the LND number via email when she called NVC. Thanks for this :) 

I've made an appointment with my GP surgery for Monday to get a booster I need (for AOS), along with my medical summary and immunization records. Also applying for the ACRO police certificate today, and will get a fresh copy of my birth certificate. Answers are NO for everything on the questionnaire, so should be all good to make a medical appointment I think; just need to account for delivery of the police certificate etc. 

Do you know what the wait time is like for medical appointments at Knightsbridge at the moment, or typically what the wait time is like? 

If I'm missing anything which isn't detailed on this thread, or if there are any up to date links I could use, let me know.

Thanks again!

Timeline
1 hour ago, BC97 said:

Do you know what the wait time is like for medical appointments at Knightsbridge at the moment, or typically what the wait time is like? 

BEFORE Covid-19, they typically had appointments within a week. There was never a long wait except for the Mum with 4 kids who needed to find a big block of time.

But everything has changed now. They were closed, then only open 2 days a week. Not sure what days they are open at present. There may be more demand for those who got paused in the process. Everything regarding time is very uncertain now. We just thought it was uncertain before. If you call, you can report back what you found available. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

BEFORE Covid-19, they typically had appointments within a week. There was never a long wait except for the Mum with 4 kids who needed to find a big block of time.

But everything has changed now. They were closed, then only open 2 days a week. Not sure what days they are open at present. There may be more demand for those who got paused in the process. Everything regarding time is very uncertain now. We just thought it was uncertain before. If you call, you can report back what you found available. 

Thanks, will call at the beginning of next week. If possible, I'll make an appointment for the back end of this month, or the beginning of July. (12 business days for them to deliver police certificate so have to wait). No rush anyway since the embassy is closed, but want to keep things moving!

Timeline
3 hours ago, BC97 said:

If I'm missing anything which isn't detailed on this thread, or if there are any up to date links I could use, let me know.

There’s a lot not in this thread. If you start reading all of the threads, you do pick up London things. This is a cut/paste of something I post often of the order to follow.  You’ll need to hold off on #4 since your file got held up at NVC. The system won’t let you in until the embassy knows you exist by receiving your approved petition from NVC

K1 London

I would suggest:

1. Submit DS-160.
  2. Gather documents. (for interview as well as documents for medical appointment). You don't want a looming appointment if you hit a hiccup and won't have what you need for the appointment. 
  3. Book your medical date by calling the clinic. 020 7486 7822. 
  4. Book the courier, pay, and pick an interview date all at the same time on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/iv. Select “I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K visa appointment”, whether you have the letter or not.  Leave 10 calendar days between medical and interview for best results.
  5. Attend your medical.
  6. Attend your interview.

Gather documents step is important. See lists:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us-bring.htm

And do read all the information and FAQs on the embassy website instructions. Don't assume you picked up everything you need to know in the K1 threads. Each embassy does things in their own way.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 6/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, Wuozopo said:

There’s a lot not in this thread. If you start reading all of the threads, you do pick up London things. This is a cut/paste of something I post often of the order to follow.  You’ll need to hold off on #4 since your file got held up at NVC. The system won’t let you in until the embassy knows you exist by receiving your approved petition from NVC

K1 London

I would suggest:

1. Submit DS-160.
  2. Gather documents. (for interview as well as documents for medical appointment). You don't want a looming appointment if you hit a hiccup and won't have what you need for the appointment. 
  3. Book your medical date by calling the clinic. 020 7486 7822. 
  4. Book the courier, pay, and pick an interview date all at the same time on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/iv. Select “I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K visa appointment”, whether you have the letter or not.  Leave 10 calendar days between medical and interview for best results.
  5. Attend your medical.
  6. Attend your interview.

Gather documents step is important. See lists:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us-bring.htm

And do read all the information and FAQs on the embassy website instructions. Don't assume you picked up everything you need to know in the K1 threads. Each embassy does things in their own way.

Received my ACRO certificate today.

I looked at the required documents for the medical in the link above - do you need 4 standard passport sized photos? The link on the embassy website which is supposed to show you is dead!

I'm thinking of trying to schedule a medical for sometime in July, even if appointments are immediately available. 

Should I ask them to clarify whether the email confirmation of my LND number is enough, or will they just tell me where to go? I've still got this concern that I turn up and they ask me for the letter from the embassy! The file is still currently at NVC, and I'm guessing it won't go to London until routine visa processing resumes.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, BC97 said:

I looked at the required documents for the medical in the link above - do you need 4 standard passport sized photos? The link on the embassy website which is supposed to show you is dead!

I'm thinking of trying to schedule a medical for sometime in July, even if appointments are immediately available. 

Should I ask them to clarify whether the email confirmation of my LND number is enough, or will they just tell me where to go? I've still got this concern that I turn up and they ask me for the letter from the embassy! The file is still currently at NVC, and I'm guessing it won't go to London until routine visa processing resumes.

You would need either an email saying NVC has sent your case to London or a letter from the embassy saying they have your case. Without those, you can’t do the medical. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Fabercham said:

You would need either an email saying NVC has sent your case to London or a letter from the embassy saying they have your case. Without those, you can’t do the medical. 

On 6/5/2020 at 3:23 PM, Wuozopo said:

I'm getting conflicting information here. Can somebody please clarify?

Timeline
Just now, BC97 said:

I'm getting conflicting information here. Can somebody please clarify?

You can ring the medical centre and ask (they are very helpful) but everyone I know had to show the email from NVC saying the case is dispatched to London if they didn’t have a letter from the embassy. The theory is that they can’t send your medical results to the embassy if they don’t have your case there yet

Timeline
23 minutes ago, BC97 said:

They put a small photo on each page of your medical report. That can be 4 standard UK passport photos or US size, whatever is easiest for you to get. It is for ID purposes.  For the embassy, your passport photo has to be US size.

33 minutes ago, BC97 said:

The  email I was referring to was the standard one everybody gets that says your approved petition has been forwarded to the embassy and your case number is LNDXXXXXXXXXX.  Before Covid, that came quite soon and nobody asked for a separate email. Now you have a hold at NVC.  Ask the clinic if an email from NVC is sufficient. 

Why NVC would bother to send separate emails with the number only and take so many phone calls from people who want their number early is beyond me. They could move faster if they quite allocating resources to those who can’t wait on the process.  Not talking specifically to you. K1s used to be in and out of NVC in three days. Now Visa Journey tells the world they have to call NVC like it’s mandatory.  No wonder it is slower

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

They put a small photo on each page of your medical report. That can be 4 standard UK passport photos or US size, whatever is easiest for you to get. It is for ID purposes.  For the embassy, your passport photo has to be US size.

The  email I was referring to was the standard one everybody gets that says your approved petition has been forwarded to the embassy and your case number is LNDXXXXXXXXXX.  Before Covid, that came quite soon and nobody asked for a separate email. Now you have a hold at NVC.  Ask the clinic if an email from NVC is sufficient. 

Why NVC would bother to send separate emails with the number only and take so many phone calls from people who want their number early is beyond me. They could move faster if they quite allocating resources to those who can’t wait on the process.  Not talking specifically to you. K1s used to be in and out of NVC in three days. Now Visa Journey tells the world they have to call NVC like it’s mandatory.  No wonder it is slower

1 hour ago, Fabercham said:

You can ring the medical centre and ask (they are very helpful) but everyone I know had to show the email from NVC saying the case is dispatched to London if they didn’t have a letter from the embassy. The theory is that they can’t send your medical results to the embassy if they don’t have your case there yet

All booked for start of July!

For anyone wondering, if you already have the police certificate, they can see you as soon as Wednesday. They are open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and require you to have an email confirmation from NVC with your LND number, and your full name. I made sure that it was okay that I hadn't been transferred to the embassy yet and she said that was fine.

I suppose as long as you're comfortable with the 6 month rule, it's okay to book a medical at the moment if you can get an email from NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.