NYGirl

Socail Security

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Has anyone had a problem getting married without social security?

i wonder if you can do it without it.

thanks

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Timeline
yes..

you dont need it..

The reason i ask is because i read in our NY website that it asks you for your SS# so i wasn't sure if it's mandantory or optional.

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

As far as I know, you could technically get away with NEVER getting a social security number. Your spouse couldn't claim you on taxes, you couldn't work, etc., but I don't think it's one of those things that's a law where they can force you to get one. Do you need one, sure. Do you need one to get married? NO!

However, in New York, you may. I don't know. Different states have different rules. Check the website and call the office.

Or, you could just go get one.... it's pretty quick and easy!

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Has anyone had a problem getting married without social security?

i wonder if you can do it without it.

thanks

LAS VEGAS BABY !!!!!!! No SSN Required....

Ask the marriage bureau what would they do if a person is here on a tourist visa (and therefore doesn't qualify for SSN) wants to get married, what would they do? I think you will find they have an alternative. I believe bottom line here is that they are looking for a unique identifying number and it is just that the SSN is the most common....

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes you can marry without it.

Check this out. http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm

AOS Journey (FROM K1)

05/18/2007 - Got married

05/21/2007 - AOS(I-485) and EAD(I-765) sent

05/22/2007 - AOS and EAD received by Chicago office (or Missouri Service Center)

05/29/2007 - AOS and EAD NOA1s received (dated 05/25/2007)

05/29/2007 - AOS and EAD touched

06/03/2007 - AOS and EAD touched

06/04/2007 - Biometrics appointment letter received

06/16/2007 - RFE received (dated 06/12/2007)

06/20/2007 - Biometrics appointment (Day 30)

06/20/2007 - EAD touched

06/21/2007 - RFE documents sent, EAD touched

06/26/2007 - AOS touched, "Case resumes" email received

07/16/2007 - Interview letter received (08/30/2007)

08/03/2007 - EAD approved, "Card production ordered" email received

08/06/2007 - EAD touched

08/30/2007 - AOS Initial Interview - APPROVED!

08/31/2007 - AOS "Card productin ordered" email received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
As far as I know, you could technically get away with NEVER getting a social security number. Your

You could never get one, though you would never be able to work (W2 anyway), join the military (why would you if you are hiding from the man), get medical/SS benefits, or get many types of credit.

Personally, I think that SSNs are used for far too much. They should be for SS benefits/taxes, and nothing else.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

As far as I know, you could technically get away with NEVER getting a social security number. Your

You could never get one, though you would never be able to work (W2 anyway), join the military (why would you if you are hiding from the man), get medical/SS benefits, or get many types of credit.

Personally, I think that SSNs are used for far too much. They should be for SS benefits/taxes, and nothing else.

My great-grandfather showed me his dog tags from WWII with his "service number" on them. I showed him mine with my "Social Security/Service number" on them. He went on to explain back when the SSA was just starting, they guaranteed everyone it was not going to used for identification, it would only be used as a personal number for Social Security benefits.

The SSN has become the "National I.D. Number." Even though we don't have a propiska, we don't need one. We're already tracked through our SSN for just about everything we do. Mortgages, rent, cable, phone, internet, gas, electric, cell phone provider, credit cards, bank accounts, store credits, drivers license.... the list goes on and on and on! if you think about how many places your SSN is recorded, that little "privacy act" disclaimer at the bottom is pretty much useless.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

It's not that he won't get his SS#, it's just that i thought if getting married BEFORE ....cause it takes like 2 weeks to get into the system to get your SS#.

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Joining the military if they were to let you join (even an illegal) would be entitle one to citizenship if you served in active combat during certain designated war time periods, such as right now. So this would be a huge benefit. Because recruitment levels are low, some illegals do make it in.

Joining the military if they were to let you join (even an illegal) would be entitle one to citizenship if you served in active combat during certain designated war time periods, such as right now. So this would be a huge benefit. Because recruitment levels are low, some illegals do make it in.

There's still a time requirement (like two years) and one of the first things the military is going to do is assign an SSN. It is the "fast track" to citizenship..... but it's also the fast track to Baghdad.

Русский форум член.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
There's still a time requirement (like two years) and one of the first things the military is going to do is assign an SSN. It is the "fast track" to citizenship..... but it's also the fast track to Baghdad.

Since they use the SSN as your service number, having this is important. It is also important if you expect to ever get paid.

Oddly, registering for selective service was a big deal for us too. Makes a lot of sense, eh? You absolutely must be registered for the draft if you are in the military. A draft is kind of moot, since the military can just keep you from leaving as long as they want to, and for officers, they can be called up essentially for life (though this isn't terribly common).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Since they use the SSN as your service number, having this is important. It is also important if you expect to ever get paid.
Well SSA does give out SSN to folks who need them for other purposes besides work. Not sure how the military goes about dealing with illegals they "recruited" in time of need. I am sure they have thought of something, perhaps using the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?

Oddly, registering for selective service was a big deal for us too. Makes a lot of sense, eh? You absolutely must be registered for the draft if you are in the military. A draft is kind of moot, since the military can just keep you from leaving as long as they want to, and for officers, they can be called up essentially for life (though this isn't terribly common).

That was always funny to me, too. They'd have us doing paperwork and updating pay info, then they'd ask "Has anyone NOT registered for Selective Service?" (As we're all sitting there in uniforms, filling out papers for our military pay..... we're already IN the military. It's too late to get drafted now!!!) But, I guess they have to make sure you're in the system because you can be drafted all the way up to 35 years of age and it's possible some guys could separate before they're 35 without ever being put in the Selective Service system. I've seen how well one government agency works with another, so I can understand why they have to double and triple check!

Well SSA does give out SSN to folks who need them for other purposes besides work. Not sure how the military goes about dealing with illegals they "recruited" in time of need. I am sure they have thought of something, perhaps using the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?

Waivers. They have a waiver for everything in the military.

What they'd probably do is make a waiver saying they're paying the guy "pending issuance of immigration status clarification data" or something to that effect. Or, they'd be able to contact the SSA and get it taken care of immediately. The military usually has "somebody over there" to take care of things like that. One phone call by the right guy in the right office, and there is no issue anymore.

Or, it could take a couple years because no one knows!

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.