knmuffin

I have the marriage certificate in the US...

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I very stupidly took our marriage certificate back to the US... I wanted it here to have everything in order for the I-130 petition, in hindsight I didn't need it here at all. I was planning on going back to my Husband's country this summer to bring back the marriage cert among other things, but now no longer will be (thanks global pandemic). Now that we've been DQ'd, we want to be very ready for when the embassy opens back up again. 

DHL shipping is quoting me $400... I am worried about sending it by normal post in case it gets lost. Can my husband get a certified copy from the court, or do we need the exact copy we sent to USCIS and NVC

Any insight appreciated! 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, designguy said:

Must be one big marriage certificate!

He should be able to get a copy from court. 

I think maybe it’s because borders are still closed and very few flights are going?! I was so surprised to see that cost! I’ll try calling next week to see if that quote is accurate, but that’s nice to know in case! Thank you! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
37 minutes ago, knmuffin said:

I very stupidly took our marriage certificate back to the US... I wanted it here to have everything in order for the I-130 petition, in hindsight I didn't need it here at all. I was planning on going back to my Husband's country this summer to bring back the marriage cert among other things, but now no longer will be (thanks global pandemic). Now that we've been DQ'd, we want to be very ready for when the embassy opens back up again. 

DHL shipping is quoting me $400... I am worried about sending it by normal post in case it gets lost. Can my husband get a certified copy from the court, or do we need the exact copy we sent to USCIS and NVC

Any insight appreciated! 

You don't have an "original" anyway.  You have an original "certified copy".  He can simply get another certified copy from the court.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Just now, pushbrk said:

You don't have an "original" anyway.  You have an original "certified copy".  He can simply get another certified copy from the court.

Oh! I have the wet ink signed one that I, my husband, and all of our witnesses signed. The court has a sort of receipt-like smaller version that I seem to remember signing, but I’m not even sure at this point. I assumed mine was the original. Thanks! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, knmuffin said:

Oh! I have the wet ink signed one that I, my husband, and all of our witnesses signed. The court has a sort of receipt-like smaller version that I seem to remember signing, but I’m not even sure at this point. I assumed mine was the original. Thanks! 

What you just described might be one of two originals but one original belongs to the applicable government entity.  One then obtains a certified copy of a government document.  Most marriage certificates with actual wet signatures are souvenirs, not government documents.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
On 5/22/2020 at 10:16 PM, knmuffin said:

Any insight appreciated! 

I have our original marriage certificate and registrar's certificate here in the US with me as well.  Why are you sending the certificates back to your spouse?  

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ricca711 said:

I have our original marriage certificate and registrar's certificate here in the US with me as well.  Why are you sending the certificates back to your spouse?  

He will need to bring the original with him to the embassy interview! 

Timeline
On 5/23/2020 at 12:12 AM, pushbrk said:

What you just described might be one of two originals but one original belongs to the applicable government entity.  One then obtains a certified copy of a government document.  Most marriage certificates with actual wet signatures are souvenirs, not government documents.

Please be careful when giving advice on specific countries, in Ghana women hold on to the original marriage certificates. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, knmuffin said:

He will need to bring the original with him to the embassy interview! 

Oh Lord....I didnt know he will need the original.  Facepalm...uuugghh!  Hopefully by the time we have ours I will be there.  

Timeline

He can still use the photocopy for the interview, because they just want to see that what he presented look like the one which you also give to USCIS or NVC. I have being there so I know they just ask you to drop your documents.

Timeline

Step 11: Applicant Interview 

Prior to the interview, ensure you have followed the U.S. Embassy or Consulate interview preparation instructions.

On the scheduled date and time of your interview appointment, go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with your printed visa application (DS-260) confirmation page. A consular officer will interview you (and accompanying family member beneficiaries) and determine whether or not you are eligible to receive an immigrant visa. As part of the interview process, ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken.

You should not make permanent financial commitments, such as selling your house, car or property, resigning from your job, or making other travel arrangements, until you have received your immigrant visa.

Who Must Attend the Interview

You, your spouse, and any qualified unmarried children immigrating with you, must participate in the interview. All traveling applicants required to participate will be named on the interview Appointment Letter you receive from the National Visa Center (NVC).

If your spouse and/or qualified unmarried children will immigrate at a later date and travel separately from you, they are not required to participate in your interview. They will be scheduled for a separate interview appointment. You should contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate directly to arrange separate interviews, if needed.

Your sponsor/petitioner does not attend the visa interview.

What to bring to the Interview

The applicant is responsible to bring all required original or certified copy civil documents to the visa interview. Failure to bring all required documents to the interview may cause delay or denial of the visa.  You must bring the following documents to the interview:

• Appointment Letter – The interview appointment letter you received from NVC.
  • Passport – For each applicant, an unexpired passport valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States
  • Photographs – two identical color photograph(s) for each applicant, which must meet the general Photograph Requirements.
  • DS-260 Confirmation Page
  • Supporting Documents – original or certified copies of all civil documents you uploaded into CEAC. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.