URMYE

Traveling to the US at this time?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes you guessed right restrictions are still in place.. But there are ungoing talks of opening things up again so you guys seat tight he still has like 5 months on his visa if my calculations are correct? You should also update your timeline with the country your fiance is flying from she you can get specific answers to your questions. 

Edited by Sparkle Sparkle

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The expiration date is on the visa.

I'd be ready for mid June.  Try for a POE that is smaller like Seattle, not JKF/SFO/LAX.

Thank you for the replies.  My fiancee would be flying from Vietnam (HCMC).  And yes, the Visa's expiration date is in August.  I have checked the US Department of State and the US Consulate in Vietnam websites but no where have I seen any specific restrictions due to COVID-19 that would prevent a non-US citizen with a US Visa from entering the US.  What I do see is that international travel at this time is not recommended but NOT out-right restricted.  

Also, we are hearing conflicting stories from different people.  One person knows of a friend/relative (US citizen, I believe) that flew from Vietnam and entered the US with no problems less than a week ago.  Another person is telling me that only essential personnel is allow to travel internationally to and from the US at the present.  I was hoping to have more definitive confirmation before my fiancee makes her trip.  

Timeline
15 hours ago, URMYE said:

Thank you for the replies.  My fiancee would be flying from Vietnam (HCMC).  And yes, the Visa's expiration date is in August.  I have checked the US Department of State and the US Consulate in Vietnam websites but no where have I seen any specific restrictions due to COVID-19 that would prevent a non-US citizen with a US Visa from entering the US.  What I do see is that international travel at this time is not recommended but NOT out-right restricted.  

Also, we are hearing conflicting stories from different people.  One person knows of a friend/relative (US citizen, I believe) that flew from Vietnam and entered the US with no problems less than a week ago.  Another person is telling me that only essential personnel is allow to travel internationally to and from the US at the present.  I was hoping to have more definitive confirmation before my fiancee makes her trip.  

You are 100% correct.  There is no BAN on travelers from Vietnam.   The ban only includes China, parts of Europe and Iran.  You will be allowed to enter the country and will be given an 'enhanced screening' at POE.

US Citizens and LRP/family are not banned.  You can always go home.

The problem is that you will need a direct light or a connecting flight through a country that allows passengers to transit and without a quarantine period.

Hong Kong is out: 

Transit restrictions
Passengers are no longer permitted to transit through Hong Kong International Airport.

Korea is allowing flights TO the US, but I cannot find a clear answer to entering from Vietnam.  They say "• Visa exemption entry suspended" but you are not traveling on a visa exemption, you are transiting.  I did find this "7. All passengers are subject to mandatory self-quarantine for 14 days. " regarding travel to Korea.

So if you want to risk it, it looks like you might be able to take Korean Air, you might have a 14 day layover, but you would be allowed to continue on to the US.

Unlike Vietnam which has an almost complete ban on everyone except nationals.

and before the CNN/MSNBC viewers start saying there is a travel ban... well, sort of:

USA - published 17.03.2020
1. Passengers who have transited or have been in Austria, Belgium, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or in the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the USA.
-This does not apply to:
a. nationals of the USA;
b. permanent residents of the USA;
c. passengers arriving in the USA on flights that departed before 23:59 EDT on 13 March 2020;
d. the spouse of a national of the USA;
e. the spouse of a permanent resident of the USA;
f. the parent/legal guardian of an unmarried and younger than 21 years national or permanent resident of the USA;
g. the unmarried and younger than 21 years brother or sister of a national or permanent resident of the USA, who is unmarried and younger than 21 years;
h. the child/foster child/ward of a national or permanent resident of the USA;
i. passengers with an IR-4 or IH-4 visa;
j. passengers with a C-1, D, or C-1/D visa;
k. passengers with an A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3, E-1, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 visa;
l. members of the U.S. Armed Forces, spouses, and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
m. passengers with evidence of traveling at the invitation of the USA government for a purpose related to the containment/mitigation of the Coronavirus (COVID-19);
n. passengers with documents issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or U.S. Department of State indicating that the passenger is exempt from the restriction;
o. B1 crew crewmembers that are engaged in lightering, Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) activity, wind farm activity, private air/sea crew and other similar crewmember actives.
2. Passengers who have been in one of the countries listed in bullet number 1 in the past 14 days but are exempt from the restriction to enter the USA, must arrive at one of the following airports: Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas, (DFW), Detroit (DTW), Honolulu (HNL), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK or EWR), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Washington (IAD).

Edited by SmallTownPA

Timeline

Here is the list of countries with international air travel and the info about entry restrictions:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

It looks like transiting through the Philippines is your best bet????

Edited by SmallTownPA

On 4/18/2020 at 3:26 PM, SmallTownPA said:

Here is the list of countries with international air travel and the info about entry restrictions:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

It looks like transiting through the Philippines is your best bet????

Thank you for the link.  We are planning to have my fiancee transit through Tokyo (Haneda) via All Nippon Airlines.

Timeline
19 hours ago, URMYE said:

Thank you for the link.  We are planning to have my fiancee transit through Tokyo (Haneda) via All Nippon Airlines.

As long as you don't have to switch airports Japan is allowing passengers to transit.  If you don't have to clear immigration you are good to go.  I've been to Haneda and its a nice airport.  I hope you have time to visit the observation deck, you can see the entire airport, although I doubt you'll see much air traffic.

I can't stand Japanese airlines.  The fakeness of the service is just infuriating.  No, I don't want an apology, I want my issue resolved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The best thing to do is have your fiance' call ANA in HCMC and ask them, they will know the current rules for travel. Many businesses are opening back up as of April 22 and May 1st, but still subject to the government issuing new restrictions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

She will go through customs as usual. The officer will go over her sealed package with her and finalize all with her. It doesn't take long, other than if there is a long line.

She can ask any immigration officer on which line to go through. Are you going to be with her?

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.