A_F_Khan

Husbands name on Passport and ID card-Pakistan

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello VJ Family!

I have four questions specially for Pakistani members.

1) Is it necessary to update my wife passport to reflect her Husbands name instead of her father.

2) Does she need to update her ID card to reflect this change as well.

3) She has NIC not CNIC, it's like the non chip version of ID card. Is this okay to enter the US embassy in Islamabad. 

4) My petition just got approved and i was issued a NVC case number, i wanted to know this before i submit her DS-260. She will have a new passport number if she gets a passport with my name instead of her father. Will this cause for concern since her passport number will be different than whats on our I-130 (IR1/CR1) petition

Thank you so much for your help! you guys and gals are life savers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

1) Is it necessary to update my wife passport to reflect her Husbands name instead of her father.

This is a big marriage fraud red flag if your wife hasn't changed her maiden name to her married name. US embassy will not take chance and will not give a benefit of doubt at all. This is a big NO. Beside USCIS or US Embassy this will be a big red flag for American Citizen spouse as well if foreign spouse is not willing to change her name from maiden to married. 

No, she doesn't have to change her ID, but I think in order to update passport with marital name one has to update the NIC too. Please double check.

3) She has NIC not CNIC, it's like the non chip version of ID card. Is this okay to enter the US embassy in Islamabad. 

They check appointment letter, and if the name on ID and the letter matches they will let her. Any form of pictured ID issued by government of Pakistan is acceptable in its original form, no copies.

4) My petition just got approved and i was issued a NVC case number, i wanted to know this before i submit her DS-260. She will have a new passport number if she gets a passport with my name instead of her father. Will this cause for concern since her passport number will be different than whats on our I-130 (IR1/CR1) petition

I am not sure if anywhere in I-130 they ask for the passport number of foreign spouse. She will have her old passport with her maiden last name, as well as her new passport with her married name. When you submit DS-260 there make sure to provide new passport with married name. When call for interview make sure she takes all the old passports and old NIC with her.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, SalSterling said:

This is a big marriage fraud red flag if your wife hasn't changed her maiden name to her married name. US embassy will not take chance and will not give a benefit of doubt at all. This is a big NO. Beside USCIS or US Embassy this will be a big red flag for American Citizen spouse as well if foreign spouse is not willing to change her name from maiden to married. 

No, she doesn't have to change her ID, but I think in order to update passport with marital name one has to update the NIC too. Please double check.

They check appointment letter, and if the name on ID and the letter matches they will let her. Any form of pictured ID issued by government of Pakistan is acceptable in its original form, no copies.

4) My petition just got approved and i was issued a NVC case number, i wanted to know this before i submit her DS-260. She will have a new passport number if she gets a passport with my name instead of her father. Will this cause for concern since her passport number will be different than whats on our I-130 (IR1/CR1) petition

I am not sure if anywhere in I-130 they ask for the passport number of foreign spouse. She will have her old passport with her maiden last name, as well as her new passport with her married name. When you submit DS-260 there make sure to provide new passport with married name. When call for interview make sure she takes all the old passports and old NIC with her.  

1) She kept her maiden name and did not take my last name (married name). My mother did the same thing and did not change her maiden name, not that it helps or anything. 

2) Yes, you're right she will have to update her NIC before she can get a new passport.

3) Great but looks like i'll end up asking her to get a new CNIC.

4) Again you're right, my agent just attached the passport bio-metrics page to the application no passport number entered anywhere. 

I'll ask her to get a new CNIC and a new passport with my name on both as her husband, but i think she'll be keeping her maiden name. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

1) She kept her maiden name and did not take my last name (married name). My mother did the same thing and did not change her maiden name, not that it helps or anything. 

My foreign spouse did exactly the same and have many explanations, even it delayed her visa processing for few months, but she was still adamant on keeping her maiden name. finally, with few months delay and she got her visa came to US and just in a matter of 3-4 months marriage ended in divorce. This kind of marriage frauds are not considered marriage fraud and lots of Pakistani women are doing it. It is up to you which route you want to take. 

Edited by SalSterling

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just change the status to "married' with NADRA. Her name can remain the same (i.e.  her first name (e.g. 'A' followed by her father's name (e.g. 'B') like 'A B'. However, on CNIC, her "father's name" field will be replaced with her Husband name (e.g. 'CD'). That's what my wife did, and there was no objection form USCIS and or embassy. 

See above.

Doesn't matter if it is with or without chip. Both are CNIC as issued by NADRA (CNIC stands for 'Computerized National Identity Card" and even the card without the chip is CNIC as her data will be in NADRA's system.  By the way, she can get chip-enabled CNIC if she wants, as her CNIC number remains the same. 

Does not matter to have a different Passport number as one can have a new passport for any reason (like previous passport expired / lost/ change of marital status). She should change her status to "married" with NADRA and on Passport application (although both are separate departments/ organization, but both these departments/institutions come under 'Ministry of Interior)

On 4/13/2020 at 2:56 PM, A_F_Khan said:

Hello VJ Family!

I have four questions specially for Pakistani members.

4) My petition just got approved and i was issued a NVC case number, i wanted to know this before i submit her DS-260. She will have a new passport number if she gets a passport with my name instead of her father. Will this cause for concern since her passport number will be different than whats on our I-130 (IR1/CR1) petition

Thank you so much for your help! you guys and gals are life savers.

1. Your wife can keep her married name and update her "status" in NADRA to be married.  She does not need to change her last nameIf this is done, you will be listed on the passport/SNIC (smart NIC) as "husband", but her last name will be her existing last name.  My wife did this, and had no issues (married to me, but kept maiden name).  Actually, my wife did not update her passport until after entering the US.  If you can update the passport or shanakhti card before the interview, that may help your case, but honestly this is a very small thing and they are aware of how things are done in Pakistan (they are aware that not everyone updates documents on time, or even has the right documents).  Many people in my family have married in Pakistan, and none of their wives changed their last names.  Some updated their passports for married "status" before the interview and others did not.  In the end, I do recommend updating your documents if you can, and the maiden name can remain.  Given that things are slow right now at NVC/USCIS, this may be a good time. 

2. NIC = old national identity/shanakhti card from the 1970s/1980s, handwritten.  CNIC = computerized national identity/shanakhti card, computerized/typed, but no chip.  SNIC = smart national identity card, has a chip.  The ID card will need to be updated before her passport will be updated.  If you are short on time, go to a NADRA MEGA center, they will process things faster than regular NADRA centers will.  

3. Others can comment, but one relative just used their non-chip NIC and had no issues attending their interview.  

4. Passport number is entered into the DS-260.  If you know you are getting a new passport, then I would hold off on the DS-260 until you have that in hand.  If you are in a rush, you can get a passport 

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 4/13/2020 at 4:44 PM, SalSterling said:

Not a true statement.

—-

Others answered it correctly 

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 2:43 AM, muhammad2017 said:

Just change the status to "married' with NADRA. Her name can remain the same (i.e.  her first name (e.g. 'A' followed by her father's name (e.g. 'B') like 'A B'. However, on CNIC, her "father's name" field will be replaced with her Husband name (e.g. 'CD'). That's what my wife did, and there was no objection form USCIS and or embassy. 

See above.

Doesn't matter if it is with or without chip. Both are CNIC as issued by NADRA (CNIC stands for 'Computerized National Identity Card" and even the card without the chip is CNIC as her data will be in NADRA's system.  By the way, she can get chip-enabled CNIC if she wants, as her CNIC number remains the same. 

Does not matter to have a different Passport number as one can have a new passport for any reason (like previous passport expired / lost/ change of marital status). She should change her status to "married" with NADRA and on Passport application (although both are separate departments/ organization, but both these departments/institutions come under 'Ministry of Interior)

How to update the status with NADRA?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.