cassieyu83

F2B pending visiting/studying in the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: China
Timeline

HI everyone. I am about to file F2B for my daughter who is over 21.  A few questions would be very helpful. 

Could she get married at all during the waiting, or she could until priority date is current? 

Could she come to the US to visit me using her existing visitor visa (still valid for 5 years) 

Could she come to the US to study/work, I'd assume she can't get a student visa abroad, but can she come to the US and change visa? 

Thank you!  

06/14/2015 We got married :goofy:(L)(L)

06/18/2015 USPS package filed (I130,485, 131, 765)

06/20/2015 Package delivered

06/24/2015 Received four emails and texts

06/25/2015 Check cashed

06/29/2015 Noa 485 received

06/30/2015 Noa 131 765 131 received

07/05/2015 Receive biometrics appointment date 7/17/2015

07/06/2015 Successfully walked in biometrics

07/06/2015 Request EAD expedite based on Financial Loss (job offer+loan)

07/07/2015 Receive an email requesting proof of financial loss

07/20/2015 Receive email/text saying card production and I-765 and AP approval :dancing:

07/24/2015 Receive approval notice

07/28/2015 Card mailed yesterday

07/28/2015 Card received today in my mailbox :rofl:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, cassieyu83 said:

HI everyone. I am about to file F2B for my daughter who is over 21.  A few questions would be very helpful. 

Could she get married at all during the waiting, or she could until priority date is current? 

Could she come to the US to visit me using her existing visitor visa (still valid for 5 years) 

Could she come to the US to study/work, I'd assume she can't get a student visa abroad, but can she come to the US and change visa? 

Thank you!  

Well not at all as long as you are not a US Citizen and she wants to maintain the petition. Presumably marriage would be more important.

Yes

Visa's are obtained abroad not in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: China
Timeline

so can i change her status from visitor to student while F2B is pending? 

06/14/2015 We got married :goofy:(L)(L)

06/18/2015 USPS package filed (I130,485, 131, 765)

06/20/2015 Package delivered

06/24/2015 Received four emails and texts

06/25/2015 Check cashed

06/29/2015 Noa 485 received

06/30/2015 Noa 131 765 131 received

07/05/2015 Receive biometrics appointment date 7/17/2015

07/06/2015 Successfully walked in biometrics

07/06/2015 Request EAD expedite based on Financial Loss (job offer+loan)

07/07/2015 Receive an email requesting proof of financial loss

07/20/2015 Receive email/text saying card production and I-765 and AP approval :dancing:

07/24/2015 Receive approval notice

07/28/2015 Card mailed yesterday

07/28/2015 Card received today in my mailbox :rofl:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, cassieyu83 said:

If she wants to study then she would apply for a Student Visa at her local Consulate..

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, cassieyu83 said:

That’s complex because of the restrictions on student status (has to be within certain number of days of the start of the course) combined with the long and unpredictable processing times of the I539 form, not to mention the difficulty of proving non-immigrant intent with a pending immigrant petition. Not advised. A denial of a CoS that happens after her b authorized stay has expired would invalidate the B visa and make it almost impossible to get a new one to come visit you. 
Also fallacy to assume she would be granted student status in the US if she’d be denied a visa, they look at the same factors, and your risks are higher (for reasons given above) doing it in the US.

27 minutes ago, cassieyu83 said:

She can get married any time, but if it is before she has entered and become an LPR the petition/visa will be in invalidated. Alternatively she can wait to marry before entry if you have become a citizen by then, her category would change to F3 and wait time would increase by maybe 8-10 years. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.