Bearsmith

I-944 question about 15. D (health insurance)

11 posts in this topic

My wife is working on her AOS package. On form I-944 question 15. D, it asks "Have you enrolled or will soon enroll in health insurance but your health coverage has not started yet?"

The options are "Yes, I am enrolled" "I will soon enroll" and "No". 

My wife has health insurance (and we answered that earlier in the form), so how do we answer this question? The answer is technically "No", but "No" on the form seems to mean "No, I have not enrolled and don't plan to. Do we just skip this question?

Edited by Bearsmith

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Bearsmith said:

My wife is working on her AOS package. On form I-944 question 15. D, it asks "Have you enrolled or will soon enroll in health insurance but your health coverage has not started yet?"

The options are "Yes, I am enrolled" "I will soon enroll" and "No". 

My wife has health insurance (and we answered that earlier in the form), so how do we answer this question? The answer is technically "No", but "No" on the form seems to mean "No, I have not enrolled and don't plan to. Do we just skip this question?

The correct answer is “yes I am already enrolled”

That seems strange, because then it says "attach a letter or other evidence from the insurance company showing that you have enrolled in or have a future enrollment date for health insurance and when your coverage begins", but the previous question asking if she has health insurance already said "If yes, attach evidence of health insurance". It seems like it's asking the same question twice, and asking for similar proof twice... I don't understand the difference. 

It really looks to me like 15. D is asking specifically only about if you signed up for insurance but it isn't active yet. 

10 hours ago, irishoxford said:

Bearsmith,

I have health insurance and left 15D blank.  The way it's written, it seemed to me that it only applied if your health insurance was pending in some sort of way.  

I can imagine they'll revise this question in a later edition of the form.  

J

Thanks, glad to see I'm not alone in being confused by it. It certainly does seem to be asking that. It's confusing because the "No" doesn't seem to be answering the question, but instead saying "No, I do not have insurance (and do not plan on getting it)". 

I'm not super comfortable leaving the answer blank though... I'm thinking about answering "No" (as that is the answer to the question they're asking) and then writing down something like "I am enrolled and my coverage has started" in the box below it.

Edited by Bearsmith

Bearsmith, 

Here's the way I read it:

1) It asks you to directly skip to Question D if you don't have health insurance, implying that that suite of questions is only for those without health insurance.  

2) Question D then talks about enrollment, which is different from actually having health insurance.  There can be a lag-time between health insurance enrollment and actual coverage.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

3) The same goes for "I will soon enroll" (there you'd know the window during which you could enroll for health insurance, but you can't enroll yet - quite common if you have started a job).
4) The "No" answer to me implies, given the box below it, that you'd be answering the same question twice from the previous page, and it seems, given the language, that you'd be talking about why you *don't* have health insurance (for example, if you had $250,000 in savings).  

Do I think they'll send the form back if you put "no"?  I doubt it!  Same as I doubt that they'll send the form back with a blank answer for Question D.  

As I said, I think they'll revise the form in the future when they see all manner of answers for that question, but the overriding thing for now will be that you've provided proof of health insurance (because that's what they're really interested in in terms of public charge).  It would be helpful though if they could put a small note in saying that you should skip 15D if you answered "Yes" to 15A.    

J

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 12:14 AM, Bearsmith said:

Thanks, glad to see I'm not alone in being confused by it. It certainly does seem to be asking that. It's confusing because the "No" doesn't seem to be answering the question, but instead saying "No, I do not have insurance (and do not plan on getting it)". 

I'm not super comfortable leaving the answer blank though... I'm thinking about answering "No" (as that is the answer to the question they're asking) and then writing down something like "I am enrolled and my coverage has started" in the box below it.

I understand your confusion. What did you decide to do? I am in the same position. I was thinking of saying 'yes'. The evidence they are requesting for this part of the question seems to be more in line with proving when your enrolment begins so i would feel it not necessary to provide any further evidence as your insurance has already begun and is active and therefore the evidence you provided for 15. will suffice. 

Just food for thought.

I had a last minute change of heart and ended up ticking "no" for 15D and wrote an explanation in the box below. I sent my packet out today so I'll let you know if I get an RFE or rejection.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am confused between this statement as well. I am planning to either put a Yes or leave it blank leaning more towards leaving it blank as I feel the question is more so for someone enrolled but the coverage has not yet started. Then saying the following in additional Information:

I have ongoing health insurance as stated in Item Number 15 and have attached supporting documentation as requested.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shutout said:

Did anyone hear back about this? I checked off “Yes, I am enrolled” because my wife is on my health insurance. 

Well, we received the courtesy letter for the I-693, so often that’s seen (rightly or wrongly) as an indication that there won’t be RFEs (but who knows?)

The initial package was also accepted.  So I don’t know?  

J

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.