K + M

Curious about if will get the stimulus benefit

37 posts in this topic

The scenario is that me and my wife firstly filed taxes as married filing jointly for 2020, we filed the taxes already this year.  Now here is where the situation gets a little different, my parents have not filed their taxes for 2019 yet.  On my parents 2019 taxes for 2018, so their most recent taxes they claimed me as a dependent.  And what I am hearing is that anyone that was claimed as a dependent does not get the benefit.  So will me and my wife still get 2.4k?  1.2k for us both since we filed taxes this year.  Or will we not get any money since my parents have not filed taxes for 2019 yet, and they claimed me as a dependent on their last taxes which were in 2019 for 2018.  From what I am believing we will get the $2.4k but just trying to see exactly if we can expect to get it.  

Ty in advance.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

The scenario is that me and my wife firstly filed taxes as married filing jointly for 2020, we filed the taxes already this year.

Ty in advance.  

How did you file for 2020, that tax year is not finished yet.  

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, Kerri and Myles said:

filed jointly for 2019, in 2020* sorry that's what I meant

Then it will be based on the 2019 filing

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Then it will be based on the 2019 filing

what about my parents taxes that it will go off for them, on theirs I am classed as a dependent, even tho I have my own taxes now, what will happen with theirs will they just not get the 500$ for me on theirs since I have my own joint taxes filed for 2019?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

what about my parents taxes that it will go off for them, on theirs I am classed as a dependent, even tho I have my own taxes now, what will happen with theirs will they just not get the 500$ for me on theirs since I have my own joint taxes filed for 2019?

Two things.   One is the advance payments which will be  based on the 2018 or 2019 filings.  Secondly,  the final reconciliation will happen with the 2020 filing in 2021

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Two things.   One is the advance payments which will be  based on the 2018 or 2019 filings.  Secondly,  the final reconciliation will happen with the 2020 filing in 2021

Confused about all of this, what I am not sure of is:

1.  Will we get the benefit of $2.4k for us both since we filed our joint taxes this year for 2019, BUT I was claimed as a dependent on my parents last tax return which was their 2018 taxes filed in 2019.  I have my own taxes, but am claimed on my parents last years, so with this scenario will me and my wife get the benefit even tho they state dependents don't get the benefit, since I am not a dependent for my current state, but TECHNICALLY I am from my parents last years, most recent taxes since they haven't filed in 2020 for 2019 yet.

2.  Will my parents get the money for having me as a dependent on their most recent last years taxes, or will they not pay them that benefit since I have my own joint filed taxes now, and if they overpay my parents for me, will they have to pay it back?

I completely understand that they are based on the 2019 or 2018 filings, but this scenario is really confusing me as it entails my most recent where we do qualify, and my parents most recent which I am a dependent, but they haven't filed for this year.  

From what I am seeing we should get the benefit of the $2.4k, but just want some clarification.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Confused about all of this, what I am not sure of is:

1.  Will we get the benefit of $2.4k for us both since we filed our joint taxes this year for 2019, BUT I was claimed as a dependent on my parents last tax return which was their 2018 taxes filed in 2019.  I have my own taxes, but am claimed on my parents last years, so with this scenario will me and my wife get the benefit even tho they state dependents don't get the benefit, since I am not a dependent for my current state, but TECHNICALLY I am from my parents last years, most recent taxes since they haven't filed in 2020 for 2019 yet.

2.  Will my parents get the money for having me as a dependent on their most recent last years taxes, or will they not pay them that benefit since I have my own joint filed taxes now, and if they overpay my parents for me, will they have to pay it back?

I completely understand that they are based on the 2019 or 2018 filings, but this scenario is really confusing me as it entails my most recent where we do qualify, and my parents most recent which I am a dependent, but they haven't filed for this year.  

From what I am seeing we should get the benefit of the $2.4k, but just want some clarification.

It doesn't matter what you or I think.  

The final credit is based on 2020.  If you don't get the proper advance payment then you will do a  final settlement next year.   If underpaid then you will get the credit difference,  if overpaid you will owe it.and repay.

In your scenario you should receive $2.4, the only question is will you get $2.4 in advance or have to wait until later 

YMMV

41 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

The scenario is that me and my wife firstly filed taxes as married filing jointly for 2020, we filed the taxes already this year.  Now here is where the situation gets a little different, my parents have not filed their taxes for 2019 yet.  On my parents 2019 taxes for 2018, so their most recent taxes they claimed me as a dependent.  And what I am hearing is that anyone that was claimed as a dependent does not get the benefit.  So will me and my wife still get 2.4k?  1.2k for us both since we filed taxes this year.  Or will we not get any money since my parents have not filed taxes for 2019 yet, and they claimed me as a dependent on their last taxes which were in 2019 for 2018.  From what I am believing we will get the $2.4k but just trying to see exactly if we can expect to get it.  

Ty in advance.  

When you filed your 2019 taxes, there should have been a question "can anyone claim you as a dependent", and you should have answered that as "no". If all that happened, then you should get whatever stimulus money you are eligible for as an advance by check or direct deposit when they issue it in the next few months.

Worst case scenario, if you don't get it, is to claim it as a credit next year.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

58 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It doesn't matter what you or I think.  

The final credit is based on 2020.  If you don't get the proper advance payment then you will do a  final settlement next year.   If underpaid then you will get the credit difference,  if overpaid you will owe it.and repay.

In your scenario you should receive $2.4, the only question is will you get $2.4 in advance or have to wait until later 

Sorry about the misunderstanding I didn't mean it as something I think, more as my understanding.  I have also heard that for this stimulus, overpayments will not have be paid I believe, @geowrian stated where that information is at.

52 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

When you filed your 2019 taxes, there should have been a question "can anyone claim you as a dependent", and you should have answered that as "no". If all that happened, then you should get whatever stimulus money you are eligible for as an advance by check or direct deposit when they issue it in the next few months.

Worst case scenario, if you don't get it, is to claim it as a credit next year.

I did check no to that, made sure no one can file me as a dependent.  Since that has happened the fact the most recent tax return for my parents I was a dependent doesn't matter?  It would go off the most recent for MYSELF which is my own taxes, and would ignore the fact that I am a dependent on my parents most recent for their 2018 taxes filed in 2019?

Edited by Kerri and Myles

5 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

I have also heard that for this stimulus, overpayments will not have be paid I believe, @geowrian stated where that information is at.

Correct. Unlike the 2008 advance rebate, overpayment of the credit here is forgiven.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

18 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding I didn't mean it as something I think, more as my understanding.  I have also heard that for this stimulus, overpayments will not have be paid I believe, @geowrian stated where that information is at.

I did check no to that, made sure no one can file me as a dependent.  Since that has happened the fact the most recent tax return for my parents I was a dependent doesn't matter?  It would go off the most recent for MYSELF which is my own taxes, and would ignore the fact that I am a dependent on my parents most recent for their 2018 taxes filed in 2019?

It will go off your most recent return. Once they process your latest return and you checked that no one can claim you as a dependent, the system would stop anyone else from claiming you as a dependent for that year. They will calculate your eligibility based on your return.

5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

It will go off your most recent return. Once they process your latest return and you checked that no one can claim you as a dependent, the system would stop anyone else from claiming you as a dependent for that year. They will calculate your eligibility based on your return.

Does that mean my parents would still get money for having me as a dependent on their most recent tax return if that is the one they have to go off for them?  

Also was reading from a source today, that this is exactly who doesn't get a stimulus check, I am having a hard time understanding the wording.  They stated these are the people who do not get the stimulus check:

"Those without a Social Security number and nonresident aliens — those who aren’t a U.S. citizen or U.S. national and don’t have a green card or have not passed the substantial presence test — aren’t eligible."

My wife at the time of us filing our taxes was technically a non-resident alien in immigration status with AOS pending, but for tax purposes we elected to have her treated as Resident Alien.  She now in current day has her conditional green card, she got it on March 10th. Will she get hers?  I have had answers from some other people saying she will, but this proclaim from the stimulus bill has me a little bit confused.  Just going to @geowrian also as he saw my other post on this.  Ty everyone, amazing community we have here :dance:.

26 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Does that mean my parents would still get money for having me as a dependent on their most recent tax return if that is the one they have to go off for them?  

They will not. The only way they possibly could have is if you were less than 17 years old on Dec 31 2019. The IRS wouldn't issue both checks. Everything is matched to SSN's. Either parents get a dependent credit, or non dependents get their own.

Since you indicated you couldn't be claimed as a dependent for 2019, the IRS system will already have that information. If your parents actually tried to claim you for 2019, their return would be rejected (since you filed first).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.