Habibati & Habibi

Evidence of the relationship & finance commingling for ROC

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi VJ's

we are soon going to apply for ROC, and I was wondering if someone can help with advise.

the thing is I just got a new job, my previous job was benefits less (no health insurance, or other benefits) my wife was also struggling unemployed just part time jobs. she was under husky insurance I was not under the plan, and she was also benefiting from electric bill assistance program. now I got a new stable job with benefits and added her to my plans and all this things.

Financial situation , my wife (petitioner) have problems with credit cards ,she is stubborn although I offer help so she can pay here 10000 she refused and still refusing.

we had a bank account but we don't use it, it is not closed, but we could not put money in it and also she does not want to open another joint account because she is always under collection.

in the light of this event how we can prove financial situation. she closed all her account, I did open a new account on my name for her so she can have debit card for daily transactions.

For the lease, car insurance, health insurance  and my benefits she on it and we file taxes jointly, and I managed to help her pay tax debts she had before we get married. she is refusing to Settle with credit card companies and we have no joint cards or saving account together only one checking account.

what could be of help in this situation to provide evidences regarding the commingling of the finances? any help please? I mean we manage and we are happy in our life but immigration office look at things differently.

Thank you 

----------------------------------------------

Diversity is the Spice of life and I add ; translation is the mother of all sciences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi H&H!

The trick here is to focus on what you DO have and not on what you DON'T have.  Yes, it would be good to have lots of co-mingling paperwork, but if you don't have it, you don't have it.

The key is to write a cover letter with the evidence you DO have that explains your way of dealing with things.  It is perfectly fine to write that the two of you have different ways of dealing with money, and that in your marriage, you do not have joint accounts.  Many couples are like this.

You do have some good evidence, like leases, car insurance and health benefits.  If you want to add some good evidence, then get wills drawn up and also medical powers of attorney.

Otherwise, send in what you do have.  Remember - you have to paint a picture of what your life together looks like.  Everyone's picture is different.

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
10 hours ago, Sukie said:

Hi H&H!

The trick here is to focus on what you DO have and not on what you DON'T have.  Yes, it would be good to have lots of co-mingling paperwork, but if you don't have it, you don't have it.

The key is to write a cover letter with the evidence you DO have that explains your way of dealing with things.  It is perfectly fine to write that the two of you have different ways of dealing with money, and that in your marriage, you do not have joint accounts.  Many couples are like this.

You do have some good evidence, like leases, car insurance and health benefits.  If you want to add some good evidence, then get wills drawn up and also medical powers of attorney.

Otherwise, send in what you do have.  Remember - you have to paint a picture of what your life together looks like.  Everyone's picture is different.

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Thank you Sukie for your answer.

Could you please clarify more regarding wills drawn up and also medical powers of attorney.how to do this please? do you suggest or recommend other evidences to include?

Thank you 

Diversity is the Spice of life and I add ; translation is the mother of all sciences.

Timeline

H&H,

Wills and Medical Powers of Attorney are specific to your state.  Use Google to try to get a template for these documents, if possible.  In some states, you can fill them out yourself - and in some states you need an attorney.  Not sure where you live, so that is why I cannot give you specific information.

The positive thing about Wills/MPAs is that you are showing faith in your marriage by planning for the future.  Many young couples don't see this an important, but the instant you have a child, it becomes VERY important.  It is not a mandatory thing for USCIS, but it certainly helps - especially if you are a little "light" in your comingling documentation.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Timeline
On 3/19/2020 at 9:55 PM, Sukie said:

H&H,

Wills and Medical Powers of Attorney are specific to your state.  Use Google to try to get a template for these documents, if possible.  In some states, you can fill them out yourself - and in some states you need an attorney.  Not sure where you live, so that is why I cannot give you specific information.

The positive thing about Wills/MPAs is that you are showing faith in your marriage by planning for the future.  Many young couples don't see this an important, but the instant you have a child, it becomes VERY important.  It is not a mandatory thing for USCIS, but it certainly helps - especially if you are a little "light" in your comingling documentation.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Connecticut, according to the state laws, you don't need a lawyer, they provide sample forms https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Health-Issues/Connecticuts-Living-Will-Laws to be filled

I am not sure which form you think I can use. is it LIVING WILL or HEALTH CARE INSTRUCTIONS that stands for what you suggested:Wills and Medical Powers of Attorney, or there should be another form to be drafted?

Thank you once again

Timeline
1 hour ago, Habibati & Habibi said:

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Connecticut, according to the state laws, you don't need a lawyer, they provide sample forms https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Health-Issues/Connecticuts-Living-Will-Laws to be filled

I am not sure which form you think I can use. is it LIVING WILL or HEALTH CARE INSTRUCTIONS that stands for what you suggested:Wills and Medical Powers of Attorney, or there should be another form to be drafted?

Thank you once again

I googled "Connecticut Medical Power of Attorney" and this is what I got:

The Connecticut medical power of attorney form is a legal instrument that allows a Principal to select, in advance, the person that they would like to make healthcare decisions for them if and when they become unable to make medical decisions for themselves.

Then there were numerous websites with examples. 

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sukie said:

I googled "Connecticut Medical Power of Attorney" and this is what I got:

The Connecticut medical power of attorney form is a legal instrument that allows a Principal to select, in advance, the person that they would like to make healthcare decisions for them if and when they become unable to make medical decisions for themselves.

Then there were numerous websites with examples. 

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Once again thank you for the reply,

I read the "your rights to make health care decisions" A summary of Connecticut law, and the enclose a sample likewise the one I posted on the link above.

Do I need a lawyer to create an advance directive?

No. You do not need a lawyer to create an advance directive. You can use the forms in this booklet.

Do I need a notary to create an advance directive?

Except for optional forms, the forms do not require the use of a notary. An additional optional form called a witnesses' affidavit that is included among the forms in this booklet requires a notary public or a lawyer to verify the signature of the witnesses. This form is discussed in more detail in the next section. If you have legal questions, you should consult a lawyer.

Looks like the form you read about it which I also come across  sounds made by a lawyer or an attorney.

anyway I will follow , the summary of Connecticut health law guide.

Thank you 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.