wissooner

Mail to Russia

39 posts in this topic

OK, I have never sent anything to Russia before but now I have to send a box of documents to Elena for her interview next month. Whats the best way? UPS, DHL, FedEx? Also, do I use her Russian language address? English? Both? This is a pretty important package (obviously) so I need advice...

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have never sent anything to Russia before but now I have to send a box of documents to Elena for her interview next month. Whats the best way? UPS, DHL, FedEx? Also, do I use her Russian language address? English? Both? This is a pretty important package (obviously) so I need advice...

I always use USPS express mail. The price is very reasonable and it will get there in about 1 week. You do not need to write the address in Russian alphabet, English will be fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I always used DHL. For me the reason I would avoid the USPS is that in Russia it puts your mail in the hands of the Russian Postal Service which is not real reliable. UPS would be my second choice. Anything will probably get it there with some luck.

Be careful you don't list much of a value to it. They may be valuable documents to you and her but anything over $ 100.00 and she will have to pay half the value in Duty. It is easy, for example, when you send a plane ticket that cost you $ 1000.00 to list the value as $ 1000.00 and that can create big problems. It is really just paper and your documents are just paper.

Edited by Turboguy

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If originals are not absolutely required use USPS. Make a few copies and send it a few times if you really want to make sure it gets there. DHL, Fedex, and any other private carrier will charge you and arm and leg. USPS can deliver simple $0.84 envelopes with the help of the Russian mail service within 2 weeks or not at all has been my experience (about 70% success personally). With a regular letter there is usually no issue with customs. Speaking with one Russian postal service worker in 2004, she told me absolutely write the address in Russian characters, because many Russians outside of Moscow cannot read English.

I've sent several packages and document folders via USPS global express mail.

I want to say my K-1 packet was about $16 and took around three weeks to get all the way to Vladivostok. (As stated above, that's with USPS delivering to Moscow, then Russian Post all the way across Siberia.) I don't remember exactly, but I think that was the ballpark.

Through the years I've learned the best way to assure the package/letter arrives is to write it like this:

RUSSIA/РОССИЯ

682640 (or whatever your sweety's postal code in Russia is)

Хабаровский Край (Name of Region/Krai/Oblast)

Амурск - Пушкинская ул 24 Д 95 Кв (City/Oblast/Metro stop if applicable, Street, House #, Apt. #)

Шарапове Марие Н (Your sweety's name.... (in the dative case! Don't worry about that!))

(07) 4214-238-436 (Your sweety's mobile or home phone number. Maybe most important!)

It doesn't have to be in Cyrillic, but I believe it really expedites the process. Also, sometimes foreign packages and mail must be picked up in person, and if you don't have the phone number on there, they won't get the notice for six months. It'll just sit at the post office until they "happen to stop by" raising hell wondering where their package from America is. If you put the phone number on it, the workers at the PO might call because they're tired of tripping over that "stupid American box." Keep in mind, you can write everything in Cyrillic because your customs declaration is going to have the sender and recipient's name and address in English already. As long as that big "RUSSIA" is at the top, USPS will send it to Russia.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If originals are not absolutely required use USPS. Make a few copies and send it a few times if you really want to make sure it gets there. DHL, Fedex, and any other private

Totally agree with Sat here. Written in Cyrillic, I have had 100% success sending letters to Russia (more than 30). Average time about 11 days. Send a few copies USPS at least 3 weeks in advance and you will be fine. Don't post them on the same day.

If it gets within 9 days, send it DHL or Fedex. (I've had no problem with Fedex and I get a good discount, DHL is probably better though). You can instruct them to hold it at their office in Moscow if time is tight.

For documents, declare the value as $1. (You need to declare a value, that is what the paper is worth. Airline tickets have no value, and they can be re-issued if necessary.) Honestly though, buy the ticket in Russia, or get an E-ticket.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

I have used USP_S exprerss mail and never had a problem

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Timeline

I've always used USPS Express Mail....never had a problem and my fiance told me that the packages are just as I sent them.

She told me that most of the time their packages are not opened until they get to their city and then it's opened in front of her either at the post office or when they deliver it to their apartment.

They usually receive their packages in 8 to 11 days....and it's expensive. An average package with with their "monthy stuffs" as they call them usually cost me $78.00.

I sent them some documents recently and it cost me $32.00 and they received them in 7 days.

I have no idea how they figure ..the documents were just a few pieces of paper, the package weighed over 30 lbs.

I receive things from them via Express Mail and I usually get it in 7 days. Amazing....

bruc

Timeline
I've sent several packages and document folders via USPS global express mail.

I want to say my K-1 packet was about $16 and took around three weeks to get all the way to Vladivostok. (As stated above, that's with USPS delivering to Moscow, then Russian Post all the way across Siberia.) I don't remember exactly, but I think that was the ballpark.

Through the years I've learned the best way to assure the package/letter arrives is to write it like this:

RUSSIA/РОССИЯ

682640 (or whatever your sweety's postal code in Russia is)

Хабаровский Край (Name of Region/Krai/Oblast)

Амурск - Пушкинская ул 24 Д 95 Кв (City/Oblast/Metro stop if applicable, Street, House #, Apt. #)

Шарапове Марие Н (Your sweety's name.... (in the dative case! Don't worry about that!))

(07) 4214-238-436 (Your sweety's mobile or home phone number. Maybe most important!)

It doesn't have to be in Cyrillic, but I believe it really expedites the process. Also, sometimes foreign packages and mail must be picked up in person, and if you don't have the phone number on there, they won't get the notice for six months. It'll just sit at the post office until they "happen to stop by" raising hell wondering where their package from America is. If you put the phone number on it, the workers at the PO might call because they're tired of tripping over that "stupid American box." Keep in mind, you can write everything in Cyrillic because your customs declaration is going to have the sender and recipient's name and address in English already. As long as that big "RUSSIA" is at the top, USPS will send it to Russia.

I pretty much used the above method and got 100% arrival of several packages that I have sent.

I use the format:

682640 РОССИЯ (ZIP, Russia)

г. Хабаровский (city)

24-95 Пушкинская ул (House, apt#, street)

Russia 682640 (in big bold letters so the USPS computer sorting system will recognize that the parcel is going to Russia)

As far as I can tell, the only Original documents (that can't be reproduced) that you need to send are boarding passes. The I-134 can be re-created if lost. Make color copies of the boarding passes and send half (enough to prove one visit) in the first parcel along with the color copies of the remainder. After she gets the first package, send the remainder of the boarding passes in a second parcel.

Thanks all! :)

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

I used DHL after a fedex fiasco to send the documents to Elena but we have used USPS for gifts and other things back home. Just declare the value low so no duties.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

If you are sending documents that she will need for the interview, I would use FedEx or DHL or UPS. Check to see which service she has in her town or region. You can use the USPS but they are not as reliable as the above because of the regional postal services.

I've used FedEx and USPS for documents and packages. I sent Christmas presents by both methods in early December 2005. The lighter FedEx package was there in a week. The heavier USPS was suppose to arrive before the Orthodox Christmas in January. They got the package in March.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I used DHL after a fedex fiasco to send the documents to Elena but we have used USPS for gifts and other things back home. Just declare the value low so no duties.

All of the international delivery companies are less reliable in Russia. It isn't entirely within their control.

Sat's advice is the best, send many copies regular mail, on different days, well in advance. Write the address correctly, in cyrillic, name in the dative case, last name first in all capital letters. Block letters or Russian script are both fine.

Write "RUSSIA air mail/par aviion" at the bottom.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Back when we were preparing the K-1 paperwork I sent two packets of documents using DHL. I had noticed deep in their web site they guaranteed shipping to Russia in 4 or 5 days. Both times my packages took the long route and were 7 to 9 days getting there. I called and complained and asked them about their guarantee. They did refund me the FULL amount on both shipments because they arrived late.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Back when we were preparing the K-1 paperwork I sent two packets of documents using DHL. I had noticed deep in their web site they guaranteed shipping to Russia in 4 or 5 days. Both times my packages took the long route and were 7 to 9 days getting there. I called and complained and asked them about their guarantee. They did refund me the FULL amount on both shipments because they arrived late.

Free shipping to Russia!!!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.