wissooner

Mail to Russia

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
OK, I have never sent anything to Russia before but now I have to send a box of documents to Elena for her interview next month. Whats the best way? UPS, DHL, FedEx? Also, do I use her Russian language address? English? Both? This is a pretty important package (obviously) so I need advice...

I always use USPS express mail. The price is very reasonable and it will get there in about 1 week. You do not need to write the address in Russian alphabet, English will be fine.

Tracking is not so good with USPS. Fedex has great tracking and about the same as USPS till you get over a couple of pounds (1k) so if its over 1k then make copies and send USPS. DHL for some reason is 30% more than Fedex.

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you guys all miss where neonred just told us about free shipping to Russia?

Ship it DHL then call and complain, citing the guarantee. They'll refund the money = FREE SHIPPING TO RUSSIA!!!

Awesome!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If I trusted DHL I would use them :) at least DHL that goes through Poland (not sure whose rules they use) With documents it should be fine, and like Slim said, probably free, but for other things like presents, I wouldn't use them again, I had to pay over $100, to get my own clothes (not new, or anything) back from them, just because my dad sent them using his business account, then we had to send about a fax 20 different times, with revised lists of EVERY item in the package...It should have been to us in 3 days, but I got if after 2 weeks, and they wouldn't give me any refund...

Участник Русского Форума

03/2003: Met Online

12/2003: I went to Moscow as an exchange student, we met in person.

20/09/2006: Sergey proposes to me!

21/02/2007: I-129F Package mailed from Wroclaw, Poland to California Service Center

28/02/2007: NOA1 issued

22/5/2007:Approved!!!!!!!!!

04/06/2007:NVC received case

11/06/2007:Left NVC for Moscow

23/08/2007: INTERVIEW, APPROVED :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This applies to documents and that is what I was sending a few years back. Now they are quoting 3 days for non-dutiable shipments.

http://www.dhl-usa.com/TransitTimes/IntlTT...IntTransitTimes

http://www.dhl-usa.com/IntlSvcs/detail/Int...DocumentService

see the service guarantee?? Look here....

http://www.dhl-usa.com/resources/Service_G..._New_DHL_v5.pdf

Both times I sent document packages (the DHL envelopes) it took a week or more. I was able to track the shipments and one of them ended up in Belgium for a while. They both did get properly delivered after several days. I called and complained and asked about the "service guarantee". They took my information and told me they would investigate. Sure enough after a few weeks I got full refunds both times.

I am not suggesting you consider this for "free shipping" to Russia, I only want you to know that if they screw up you are entitled to some compensation. I was really surprised to get anything back from them, no less a full refund. I don't think many people know about this policy......and I won't be surprised if they change it soon.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
This applies to documents and that is what I was sending a few years back. Now they are quoting 3 days for non-dutiable shipments.

I have corporate accounts with Fedex and UPS. Another way you get screwed is that they charge things to your account that you did not ship. They credit the money back to you, but it is a pain to fight with them over it.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Timeline

I wouldn't recommend addressing your package in English. Especially if she lives in a smaller city.

And under no circumstances, should you ever, NEVER send money in the mail. I have never sent

money but, I have sent plenty of packages and almost all were reported to have been opened

before they arrived.

Anyone else have this problem? My packages were sent to Tver. (TBEPb) Maybe that has something

to do with it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
i sent package to Russia via regular mail,it took 3 months.

Everything I have ever sent has arrived promptly. (Addressed in Cyrillic, case

doesn't seem to matter much for names. Written in block letters and cyrillic script.)

Packages sent to me from Russia have either taken many months, or not arrived at all.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

My wife's daughter sent her a birthday gift a few weeks ago from Rostov-on-Don (what else but a pair of shoes!) by Russian post and it arrived here exactly one week after it was sent.

When cards were sent to me the time varied from a few weeks to more than a month.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Seems like a crapshoot either way. And, there's no rhyme or reason to the size/weight of the packages and the transit time. I've sent an 8 oz. envelope and it's taken three weeks, and I've sent an 8 lb. box, and it's taken three weeks. So, who knows.

Just remember if you have time-critical things to send (like K-1 papers) send them with a company, not the postal system. If you have time... post office is cheaper.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

My mom sends me stuff from Russia sometimes, I used to send stuff to her too. She writes the address in both languages, I write in English only. Packages tend to take 1-2 weeks to arrive. During the Xmas season they may take forever - I got my mom's Xmas gift by the end of January this year, although she sent in early December :angry:

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm about to send my next parcel to my wife by USPS Express Mail. I've lost count how many parcels I've sent this way -- about 25. Every single one has arrived -- and everything with them has also arrived every single time. I sent photos, books, clothes (for her and the grandson) cosmetics for her, MIL, daughter-in-law, organic green tea, chocolate -- those sorts of thing. I used to have concerns about the Russian postal service -- and each time I mail something I wonder if this will be the first time something went astray. Delivery time to Novosibirsk is reliably about 13 days. The tracking system has gotten better and now I can use the USPS tracking numbers and see when the parcels clear customs in Moscow. This wasn't the case a couple years ago. Some things in Russia are getting better.

(At my new address here in Colorado, I had to work with the local post office, visiting my postmaster several times, threatening to get my Congressman involved, before correspondents stopped telling me that their mail was being returned to them as undeliverable. I got some mail from day 1, and it took them months before they appeared to get it right. In my experience, the Russian postal service is *MUCH* better than this.)

My wife has sent me birthday cards a couple times by normal post.

When I sent my wife documents for her K1 interview, I used DHL. DHL did not deliver within the guaranteed time (6 days) but they did within 9 days. I was able to track my parcel throughout. Was it worth the extra $100? (USPS parcels are $32-40, depending on weight. The DHL parcel, among the lightest I've sent, was $155.) Yes, because the documents were irreplaceable.

Recently, when my wife sent back to me signature cards (since I moved, I'm changing banks and setting up a suite of new joint accounts) we used UPS. The cost was about 65 USD -- extravagant to her, but I covered the cost.

Edited by novotul

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

We need to set up a VJ delivery system. People go to Russia pretty regularly from our forum, so maybe we can start hand-carrying small parcels for each other. I wouldn't mind throwing a K-1 packet in my bag for someone.

But, I don't have the money to get to Russia for quite a while, so I'll be "on the list" (probably near the bottom) for a year or two before I can help.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
We need to set up a VJ delivery system. People go to Russia pretty regularly from our forum, so maybe we can start hand-carrying small parcels for each other. I wouldn't mind throwing a K-1 packet in my bag for someone.
Very common practice in the Russian community here in the states. However, all we usually do is just repackage and dump it off at the local post office in the town we are going to. Unless it is the same town nobody goes out of their way to hand deliver. And we usually get the stuff from locals, here on VJ we'd have to mail stuff domestically first. I don't know who to trust more, random people online or the Russian postal service?!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.