melly

Tattoos in Islam

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know that no one asked, but I just felt like I should share.

Ignore it if you aren't interested or don't care.

:)

Are tattoos allowed in Islam?

No they are not. Let us look at what Prophet Muhammad peace be upon commanded:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

The following several narrations of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him were sent to me by Omar; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him:

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The evil eye is a fact,' and he forbade tattooing. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 827)"

Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: "My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, 'The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Sales and Trade, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 299)"

Narrated 'Abdullah: "Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815)"

http://www.answering-christianity.com/tattoos.htm

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hmmmm, I have a space between my front teeth that I'd rather *not* have. Interesting that it was considered to be beautiful.

Also interesting that cupping is haram. Isn't that somewhat common?

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I know that no one asked, but I just felt like I should share.

Ignore it if you aren't interested or don't care.

:)

Are tattoos allowed in Islam?

No they are not. Let us look at what Prophet Muhammad peace be upon commanded:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

The following several narrations of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him were sent to me by Omar; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him:

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The evil eye is a fact,' and he forbade tattooing. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 827)"

Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: "My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, 'The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Sales and Trade, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 299)"

Narrated 'Abdullah: "Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815)"

http://www.answering-christianity.com/tattoos.htm

So no waxing/plucking eyebrows....?

Filed: Other Timeline

alhamdulilah people talking about getting tattoos recently aren't Muslim....or else you know what!!

I don't even know why god made women considering how cursed and forsaken we are.

Edited by peezey

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

this can't end well.....

Scared.jpg

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

And what if one has tattoos before one decides to convert/revert? Also, what abt all those folks in prison who turn to Islam during their incarceration? I imagine abt 99.9% of those have tattoos (prison tats or otherwise). Does Allah forsake them? Are they doomed forever because of choices made prior to enlightenment about Islam? :help:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
And what if one has tattoos before one decides to convert/revert? Also, what abt all those folks in prison who turn to Islam during their incarceration? I imagine abt 99.9% of those have tattoos (prison tats or otherwise). Does Allah forsake them? Are they doomed forever because of choices made prior to enlightenment about Islam? :help:

I dont' have a comment on the whole tatoo thing but I do know that everything one did in the past before they seriously take their shahada is wiped clean. (thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink::blush: )

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

on that note, i'm off to mena to open up a laser tattoo removal business :lol:

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
wow. My husband's grandma...sweet little bedouin lady, is very much muslim and has the traditional bedouin tatoos. Hope nobody tells her it is haram.

Jackie

Esalaams

It would be but it would be much wiser for you ask your local imam or read up on it properly than gather random opinions from here or even going by what various fatwa banks have to say, cos if u go by the advice of one of the random comments here and it's wrong, then that person will bear the sin of misguidance. Also the problem now-a-days is that everyone seems to think they are an expert in deen. We won't take our car to a dodgy mechanic but we place our spiritual lives at the hands of a dodgy 'expert' in Islam. Is that the value we have for our deen?

It is s easy to quote an ayat of the Qurán )or Hadith for that matter) or to check a website but does the person or website owner have the requisite background knowledge to do so. CHECK!!!!

Also Halal means what is permissible. Haram means what is forbidden. Halal and Haram refer to food, actions, & clothing. The major sins are those acts which have been forbidden by Allah in the Quran and by His Messenger (saw) in the Sunnah (practise of the Prophet), and which have been made clear by the actions of of the first righteous generation of Muslims, the Companions of the Prophet (saw).

Allah Most High says in His Glorious Book:

If you avoid the major (part) of what you have been forbidden (to do), We will cancel out for you your (other) evil deeds and will admit you (to Paradise) with a noble entry. (al-Nisa 4:31)

There are only 70 clearly stated haraam (forbidden sins) in the Quran. So basically unless it is clearly stated as hraam, it is not haraam. But makruh. And to say something is haraam, when it is not or it is unclear is...in essence also a sin.

01. Associating anything with Allah

02. Murder

03. Practising magic

04. Not Praying

05. Not paying Zakat

06. Not fasting on a Day of Ramadan without excuse

07. Not performing Hajj, while being able to do so

08. Disrespect to parents

09. Abandoning relatives

10. Fornication and Adultery

11. Homosexuality(sodomy)

12. Interest(Riba)

13. Wrongfully consuming the property of an orphan

14. Lying about Allah and His Messenger

15. Running away from the battlefield

16. A leader's deceiving his people and being unjust to them

17. Pride and arrogance

18. Bearing false witness

19. Drinking Khamr (wine)

20. Gambling

21. Slandering chaste women

22. Stealing from the spoils of war

23. Stealing

24. Highway Robbery

25. Taking false oath

26. Oppression

27. Illegal gain

28. Consuming wealth acquired unlawfully

29. Committing suicide

30. Frequent lying

31. Judging unjustly

32. Giving and Accepting bribes

33. Woman's imitating man and man's imitating woman

34. Being cuckold

35. Marrying a divorced woman in order to make her lawful for the husband

36. Not protecting oneself from urine

37. Showing-off

38. Learning knowledge of the religion for the sake of this world and concealing that knowledge

39. Bertrayal of trust

40. Recounting favours

41. Denying Allah's Decree

42. Listening (to) people's private conversations

43. Carrying tales

44. Cursing

45. Breaking contracts

46. Believing in fortune-tellers and astrologers

47. A woman's bad conduct towards her husband

48. Making statues and pictures

49. Lamenting, wailing, tearing the clothing, and doing other things of this sort when an affliction befalls

50. Treating others unjustly

51. Overbearing conduct toward the wife, the servant, the weak, and animals

52. Offending one's neighbour

53. Offending and abusing Muslims

54. Offending people and having an arrogant attitude toward them

55. Trailing one's garment in pride

56. Men's wearing silk and gold

57. A slave's running away from his master

58. Slaughtering an animal which has been dedicated to anyone other than Allah

59. To knowingly ascribe one's paternity to a father other than one's own

60. Arguing and disputing violently

61. Witholding excess water

62. Giving short weight or measure

63. Feeling secure from Allah's Plan

64. Offending Allah's righteous friends

65. Not praying in congregation but praying alone without an excuse

66. Persistently missing Friday Prayers without any excuse

67. Unsurping the rights of the heir through bequests

68. Deceiving and plotting evil

69. Spying for the enemy of the Muslims

70. Cursing or insulting any of the Companiions of Allah's Messenger

But if you are asking for my personal opinion, then the tatoo itself is allowed. But getting it, alterating your body is not allowed. then in much respect her tattoos (and also other forms of body alteration/mulation ( are also within Islam haraam, but the tatto of various Bedouin and also Cheouba women, they excepted as culture and while that country is basically Muslim sometimes umbraelled under excepted in Islam. But it is not. This is bi3da(innovation) and lack of knowledge actually. Circumcision was the only "alteration" Allah (swt) ever allowed. Even thou the Pr. Mohammed(saw) as reported in several Hadiths did say using henna is Sunnah. The Pr. Mohammed(saw) dyed his beard red using henna and his Caliphs adopted this practice. Fatima, Muhammed’s daughter, adorned her hands in mehndi. Khamsa, also the Arabic number 5, refers to the protective image of Fatima’s hand with patterns on it, often worn as a talisman. (although this is also bi3da)The use of henna and mehndi by the Prophet insured its place in history and its popularity and acceptance among the Muslim people.

And that the women of the Pr.Mohammed's (saw) time did have their ears pierced. Sources for this are unclear as it is clear as I said Allah only allowed circumcision. But of course Allah is all merciful and allowances for emergencies (medical reasons) are allowed and considered mercies. And if anyone here is familar with Satanic based religions, then you would well know these religions hold much importance to plastic surgeries, human/animal cloning and body mulation.

Just my 2cents here.

This site (for anyone interested in looking, then later on really looking these up in the Quran and Sunnah. This site nicely and simply states the DOs and DONTs of Islam:

http://members.cox.net/arshad/overview.html

http://iaia.essortment.com/islamhalaalhar_rdep.htm://http://members.cox.net/arshad/overv...ar_rdep.htm://http://members.cox.net/arshad/overv...ar_rdep.htm

And as for the question by Doodle: any sins (anything that is clearly written in the Quran as haraam) is enchallah (God wlling) forgiven when one converts. What a Muslim is required to do is to genuinely repent of having had it, resolving not to have anything of the sort in future. He should seek God’s forgiveness. Their prayer and pilgrimage are certainly valid. It has to be remembered that genuine repentance of any sin erases it completely. Although in the case of the tattoo, the effect remains on one’s body, the fact that the person concerned has repented means that no further action is required.

And an addition to Patiently_Waiting's comment on tattooes in Christianity: Leviticus 19:28 clearly states: "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

Melly: Just out of curiousity what made you post this article?

And thanks everyone else who bared with this rather long post. hehe

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Melly: Just out of curiousity what made you post this article?

Assalamu alaykum sister.

One of the members here recently got a tattoo. And while I know she is not a Muslim, someone else mentioned thinking about getting one, and I didn't know if that person was Muslim or not.

Since none of us can know everything there is to know in Islam, and since I had heard and read that tattoos were not allowed, I figured it would be nice if I made a post so that *anyone* could read it and either get more information if they wanted to, and if not, then they could ignore it.

It was not meant to poke a finger at anyone, family, friends, whoever.

I was simply trying to do a service to make people aware of something.

Apparently, no one here wants any information so I'll refrain from trying to be helpful in the future.

wasalam

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaams Melly: Shows you how much many of the posts I read LOL... thanks for replying. I was thinking "Hmmm did I miss something here?" :lol:

But do keep on posting, I am sure it will somehow someday do some service to some people here. You never know. But I would include a declaimer and be very sure with the facts. ALways better to watch your back ya know!

And BTW lovely surat! So true!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.