SusieQQQ

Certificate of Citizenship - minor child - fyi & ??

48 posts in this topic

thanks for the post. I tried to get this info last year and didnt get anything. In my case:

N600 applied 1st week of august 2019

Fingerprints appointment with the hurricane so it was postponed. Done at the end of Sept 2019

November 2019 got the communication on their website that the appointment was generated

Got the letter the first week of January 2020.

Went there to pick up the certificate and my surprise... they included the picture that customs took him in December when we came back from an international flight.

Didnt take him but you can do it... they go there and receive the small flag and the documents.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Rajesh Rao said:

I got a call today from USCIS. Aug 11 they want one parent to come with my child with child’s passport. No letter received though. Just a phone call. 

Nice! Can you remind me your FO?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got the replacement appointment letter (original March date cancelled for Covid shutdown) for my child’s citizenship certificate- short notice - this coming Thursday! One change (other than the Covid rules of course):  unlike the original letter, which was addressed to me to collect it for her, this one is addressed to her and instructs a parent or guardian to accompany her.

7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Finally got the replacement appointment letter (original March date cancelled for Covid shutdown) for my child’s citizenship certificate- short notice - this coming Thursday! One change (other than the Covid rules of course):  unlike the original letter, which was addressed to me to collect it for her, this one is addressed to her and instructs a parent or guardian to accompany her.

Yes in my case also they wanted the child to accompany me. Finally your wait is over. 

I wasn’t actually gonna update this again but I thought it was interesting what they did. 
While we were waiting in line I noticed everyone had kids and everyone was clutching a US passport... and sure enough, everyone there for that timeslot was there to do what we were doing!  It was pretty quick, we lined up 15 minutes before the 11am appointment, they started the appointments at 11, and we were out at 11.08. They had a bunch of windows open (this was same building but different floor from where I did my n400 interview.) The lady ensured we checked all details on the certificate were correct, and took copies of my ID, my kid’s passport, and the letter kid got from DoS to say they had kept her green card.  She also confirmed kid was under 14 so so didn’t have to do oath. Another guy was handing out envelopes to everyone which had a glossy cardboard folder for the certificate as well as the stuff i got at the naturalization ceremony (flag, copy of the Declaration of Independence and constitution, etc). And everyone was helpful and smiley :) 

It was also national citizenship day today - not sure if that was a coincidence. 

10 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I wasn’t actually gonna update this again but I thought it was interesting what they did. 
While we were waiting in line I noticed everyone had kids and everyone was clutching a US passport... and sure enough, everyone there for that timeslot was there to do what we were doing!  It was pretty quick, we lined up 15 minutes before the 11am appointment, they started the appointments at 11, and we were out at 11.08. They had a bunch of windows open (this was same building but different floor from where I did my n400 interview.) The lady ensured we checked all details on the certificate were correct, and took copies of my ID, my kid’s passport, and the letter kid got from DoS to say they had kept her green card.  She also confirmed kid was under 14 so so didn’t have to do oath. Another guy was handing out envelopes to everyone which had a glossy cardboard folder for the certificate as well as the stuff i got at the naturalization ceremony (flag, copy of the Declaration of Independence and constitution, etc). And everyone was helpful and smiley :) 

It was also national citizenship day today - not sure if that was a coincidence. 

Congratulations. Mine was kind of similar. But we were the only one for that time.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello @SusieQQQ

Did you end up going twice to USCIS for this application? Once for biometrics and once to pick up the certificate? And the photo taken during the biometrics appointment was used on the certificate that you picked up later?

I applied for my minor kids N600 months ago and finally got a biometrics notice - just wondering what to expect. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, ponyo_rocks said:

Hello @SusieQQQ

Did you end up going twice to USCIS for this application? Once for biometrics and once to pick up the certificate? And the photo taken during the biometrics appointment was used on the certificate that you picked up later?

I applied for my minor kids N600 months ago and finally got a biometrics notice - just wondering what to expect. Thanks! 

Yes to all the questions (though my ASC for bio is separate from the main uscis office).

In yet another twist I am actually going in for a THIRD time next week - they called to say they forgot to put a seal on the certificate so I need to bring it back in for that 🤦‍♀️

• 11 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 4:56 PM, SusieQQQ said:

This is not a post to debate whether it's worth applying for a CoC as well as a passport. (I'm - obviously - in the camp who prefers to have both.)

I'm posting a brief timeline/experience because I found it quite difficult to find any real life experiences about how long to expect to wait (some people here mentioned applying and waiting but not how long for, even when i asked lol) and i have seen people in some other forums talk about many months or even a year or more; my FO supposedly takes 5.5 -13.5 months to complete N600 processing. My N400 took over a year so imagine my pleasant surprise when i saw today, that just a little over 3 months after applying, the case has been approved - I think (hence the ?? in the title). USCIS case status page says "On February 27, 2020, we approved your Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, Receipt Number xxxxxxxxx, and sent you an approval notice."  The myuscis website however says "February 27, 2020/ Interview Scheduled /USCIS has scheduled your interview appointment and will mail you the appointment notice."  I think that I have read before of this "dual outcome" on the different sites for minors and it is usually just the certificate being mailed. So crossing fingers.

FYI a brief timeline of this was: 

• applied 15 November, a couple of days after applying for her passport
  • applied online and uploaded copies of required documents, same as for her passport application- her birth certificate, my naturalization certificate, marriage certificate, green card. (Because I applied online I only needed copies to upload - the originals had all gone in with the passport application.)
  • in addition to those, i uploaded evidence (school record) that showed she was in my physical custody at the time of naturalization (legal custody is presumed due to being married to her father). 
  • I had also uploaded a cover letter clarifying that the application was under INA320 (to pre-empt a RFE for unnecessary evidence as I had seen reported a couple of times by others)
  • bio notice mailed 30 November. I hadn't been expecting one due to her being under 14, but I guess they need a photo for the certificate? 
  • When we later got her passport, I uploaded a copy of that into the application too - around early February
  • apparent approval 27 February.

So (apart from the money) pretty painless and, for USCIS and our FO in particular, pretty quick.

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

I and my wife got our naturalization in August 2021. We all received our U.S passport recently. I`m filling the N600 application for my kids, they both are under 11 years old. I have couple of questions:

1. How do you create cover letter for INA320?

2. For the question, What is your current immigration status?, I have selected 'Other' and mentioned U.S citizen, as my kid received the U.S. Passport. Is this accurate?

3. For question, "Have you been absent from the United States since you first arrived"? We left U.S couple of times to visit home country for a short period. I assume the answer to this question is 'Yes'.

3 hours ago, Decent80 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

I and my wife got our naturalization in August 2021. We all received our U.S passport recently. I`m filling the N600 application for my kids, they both are under 11 years old. I have couple of questions:

1. How do you create cover letter for INA320?

2. For the question, What is your current immigration status?, I have selected 'Other' and mentioned U.S citizen, as my kid received the U.S. Passport. Is this accurate?

3. For question, "Have you been absent from the United States since you first arrived"? We left U.S couple of times to visit home country for a short period. I assume the answer to this question is 'Yes'.

1. Just do a word (or pdf of the word) document and upload it under the additional evidence/other documents section 

2. I think that I what I did too (long time ago now, don’t remember exactly)

3. Yes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.