SusieQQQ

Certificate of Citizenship - minor child - fyi & ??

48 posts in this topic

It is a big help. I plan to fill in N600 for my son as well. But I found there are some questions I am not sure, would you please give me some ideas?

1) do you register an USCIS account for your daughter or use your own account to fill in the on line form?

2) regarding the admission to the USA, I should fill in his first visit or the most recent visit?

3) For the question of “have you ever been absent from the US since you first arrived?”, do I need to fill in Yes if he had several travels to other countries since he first arrived?

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, Sunnybird said:

It is a big help. I plan to fill in N600 for my son as well. But I found there are some questions I am not sure, would you please give me some ideas?

1) do you register an USCIS account for your daughter or use your own account to fill in the on line form?

2) regarding the admission to the USA, I should fill in his first visit or the most recent visit?

3) For the question of “have you ever been absent from the US since you first arrived?”, do I need to fill in Yes if he had several travels to other countries since he first arrived?

Thank you very much!

1. You will have to set up a separate account for the child

2. I believe that is date of admission as LPR, can’t remember/not sure of exact question 

3. Yes - it says have you EVER been absent 

16 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

1. You will have to set up a separate account for the child

2. I believe that is date of admission as LPR, can’t remember/not sure of exact question 

3. Yes - it says have you EVER been absent 

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

that question about admission is under the part 2 question 14: information about your admission into the United States and current Immigration Status. Then question A ask the port of entry and date of entry; question B ask the travel documents to be admitted to the United States. I needs to fill in his first entry as LPR and the passport no at that time? he renewed the passport half an year later.

Thanks a lot!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I'm posting a brief timeline/experience because I found it quite difficult to find any real life experiences about how long to expect to wait (some people here mentioned applying and waiting but not how long for, even when i asked lol) and i have seen people in some other forums talk about many months or even a year or more; my FO supposedly takes 5.5 -13.5 months to complete N600 processing. My N400 took over a year so imagine my pleasant surprise when i saw today, that just a little over 3 months after applying, the case has been approved -

So (apart from the money) pretty painless and, for USCIS and our FO in particular, pretty quick.

This is remarkably fast by any measure. Maybe age of your child and the fact that passport had already been issued may have helped. Either way, this is great news. Congratulations!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for this post! I recently naturalized and want to apply for a passport and COC for my 6 year old, and a passport for me as well. It is helpful to read about your experience.

A tangential question - were you able to apply for a passport for you and your child at the same time? Or should this be done one at a time? I ask because I assume passport applications need the original naturalization certificate and I am unsure if they will accept my original NC for both passport applications. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, ponyo_rocks said:

Thanks for this post! I recently naturalized and want to apply for a passport and COC for my 6 year old, and a passport for me as well. It is helpful to read about your experience.

A tangential question - were you able to apply for a passport for you and your child at the same time? Or should this be done one at a time? I ask because I assume passport applications need the original naturalization certificate and I am unsure if they will accept my original NC for both passport applications. Thanks! 

I did mine and my child’s at the same time on one naturalization certificate. I think the lady at the post office may have made a copy but I don’t recall for sure. I made copies of all documents beforehand to upload for the online N600 application. You won’t get your child's green card back so if you need it for anything (like n600 app) definitely make a copy before you send it off with the passport application. I got the naturalization certificate back the same day as my passport, and the other original documents for my child’s passport, along with a letter saying they were keeping the green card, a few days after her passport arrived.

Timeline
23 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I did mine and my child’s at the same time on one naturalization certificate. I think the lady at the post office may have made a copy but I don’t recall for sure. I made copies of all documents beforehand to upload for the online N600 application. You won’t get your child's green card back so if you need it for anything (like n600 app) definitely make a copy before you send it off with the passport application. I got the naturalization certificate back the same day as my passport, and the other original documents for my child’s passport, along with a letter saying they were keeping the green card, a few days after her passport arrived.

Thanks for sharing your explanation. I made an appointment for both of us anyway, and looks like we might be able to get it done in one visit.

4 hours ago, ponyo_rocks said:

Thanks for sharing your explanation. I made an appointment for both of us anyway, and looks like we might be able to get it done in one visit.

Not sure if you understood - the “anyway” makes it sound like you think we had different appointments? As I said, we did it at the same time. However, I got my passport back a few weeks before she got hers, and they sent the documents back in two batches.

Timeline

Thank you. Yes, I did understand. The "anyway" implied that I made an appointment for both of us at the same time even before I saw your OP - sorry I wasn't clear. After reading about your experience, it looks like it was the right thing to do.

Timeline

@SusieQQQ

Did you also upload proof of your physical presence in the US? Since I naturalized I thought it would be presumed, I guess this maybe for other cases. If you did upload, what type of evidence did you provide? I am trying to get a letter from my employer and my child's school.

26 minutes ago, ponyo_rocks said:

@SusieQQQ

Did you also upload proof of your physical presence in the US? Since I naturalized I thought it would be presumed, I guess this maybe for other cases. If you did upload, what type of evidence did you provide? I am trying to get a letter from my employer and my child's school.

No, but I did upload a letter stating it was INA320 as I had seen reports of others getting unnecessary RFEs for that.
I did upload proof of the child’s being in my physical custody, a letter from the school with the address on their records matching ours.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.