JayHouser

Do I have a chance at all?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Greetings everyone. I am trying to get my mother in law and father in law to visit the states and spend time with our family. A while back when my wife was under pending status for her green card we applied for a tourist visa for her mom only and was denied for lack of strong ties to her country.

Background:

I'm a US citizen and my wife is a permanent resident now with her 2 year resident card.

Country of origin is El Salvador

I have good income and write has some income now. Her family has little income and little assets (a little cashflow/savings and a small parcel of land they are building a home on) I can show affidavit of support and proof of trip coverage, which I did last time as well.

Her mother has no immigration red flags and has positive travel history to Canada being granted tourist visas there twice. Father has little travel history except to neighboring countries.

Also last time the interviewer found it strange we only applied for her mother and not her father and we believe that may have contributed to the denial. The reason we did that was we wanted to get one approved at a time instead of throwing away money at embassy fees if there was 0 chance. If we did this again we would do both at the same time now. 

But before I do anything I want to know if we have a chance at all. If there is anything wrong can do for my mother and father in law to visit us. Writing a congressman? Open to any ideas.

You have no role in the process, other than to possibly help them with the DS-160 or inform them o the steps to interview.

They interview. They get the visa or not base on their merits.

Your status as an LPR now versus before does not change that.

An affidavit of support is not considered. Bring one if you want, but it likely will not be viewed and would not change the result if it was.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa.

24 minutes ago, JayHouser said:

But before I do anything I want to know if we have a chance at all. If there is anything wrong can do for my mother and father in law to visit us. Writing a congressman? Open to any ideas.

They have a 0% chance if they do not apply. Only way to get the visa is to apply.

It does appear not to be a strong case given the stated circumstances, including a fairly recent refusal, and no apparent material change since then.

But I am not the CO. If you have the $160/each in fees to spare to try, then there is no harm in doing so.

Good luck.

There's nothing a congressperson can do here.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Basically the same as every time the same question gets asked here.

From what I have seen most people tend to over think these things, interviews are very short, a couple of comments that may have nothing to do with the situation arising in a usually a very short interview tend to take significance they probably do not have.

Anyway, their interview, their application and you can help pay or fill in the application. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

You are correct on the interview being short. It lasted like 2 minutes and her mom was only asked like 2 questions. They had made up their mind before the interview started. But maybe a different CO can help even though it's likely

I'll just be making a donation to the embassy 

On 2/19/2020 at 5:35 AM, JayHouser said:

You are correct on the interview being short. It lasted like 2 minutes and her mom was only asked like 2 questions. They had made up their mind before the interview started.

Yes.  The info provided on the online application is what is used by COs to evaluate applications for B visas to the United States.  This is why there is no point in bringing useless sponsorship letters and such to interviews.  

If nothing related to your in-laws' ties to home has changed since the denial, I would not expect a different outcome this time around.  Of course they can apply though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.