Su_123

AOS interview (K1)Experience - Tampa Office )

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So this is my AOS interview experience in Tampa office. 

My appointment was at 9:30 and we reached exactly at 9. My husband wore a coat and a tie and I wore a formal shirt, We showed our interview letter at the reception and were given a ticket with number and went and sat inside in the waiting area. I just about 30 seconds our number was called and the guy at the counter took my picture and both index fingers finger-print and asked us to wait for our number to be called. 

At around 10:10 the IO came out and called our number. She was very professional with a straight face(Like a strict teacher ;)). We wished her and she walked us down the hallway and showed us to the room. Asked us to keep our documents on the desk and too the oath by raising our right hands. 

We sat down and she first asked for our birth certificates, passports, DL's, I-94 and marriage certificate (I saw her touching the certified marriage certificate, trying to feel the seal )

Here are the questions we were asked. Surprisingly most of the questions were directed at my husband (US Citizen) and I was just voluntarily jumping in add few details. I was secretly happy he was doing the answering part 😅

1) How did you meet? (This is a sure shot question)

2) When and where did you propose? 

My Husband was telling her he proposed to me in my house and all my family was waiting outside and then I jumped in and said "it was in my room and I never expected he would propose and that I instantly said yes." IO just smiled.

3) She just asked my husband- So you proposed and came back to the US and started taking care of the fiance visa application for her? 

My husband answered yes.

4) She asked my husband - I see you got your citizenship in September and immediately you went to India and came back and applied for K1-visa. She wasn't sounding rude or anything. She was just calm and just asking a question.

5) She now wanted to see all our shared/joint documents and gave her IRS, Joint Bank statements, health insurance card plus monthly summary, Gas/Utility Bill,  Mobile Bill, Car Insurance, My husband's payroll copy which had my name and number listed as Emergency Contact, Our hotel booking for our honeymoon, travel itinerary etc. 

6) She now turned towards me and asked me if  I had applied for an immigrant visa before and  I answered no. 

7) She asked me if I was ever rejected a visa ?

I said yes and she asked me if I remember when and why? I had my denial notices with me and she specifically asked me why was it denied and I answered her. She took both my Denial letters and noted down the numbers on them. (Here is where I was wondering if that would be an issue but it wasn't)

8  ) Asked me a list of security questions to be answered yes or no

She asked us if this was second marriage and I said yes it is for both of us.

9) We had printed about 70 pictures and had an album with writing -When, where, who etc. But surprisingly the IO wasn't interested to see even one of our picture together. She did not even ask for our wedding photo (We aren't that bad looking :P ). We also had greeting cards we exchanged, card addressed to both of us congratulating on our marriage by our friends. But none of these mattered. All she wanted is the documents. That's all.

10) Asked if we had any children and I told her we are expecting soon and handed over my sonogram. She smiled and asked me when I was due and gave it back and congratulated us. 

That's it she said she has everything and she is going to approve our case. My GC will be valid for 2 years and then I'll have to apply for removal of conditions. She asked me if I had any questions and we said no. We thanked her and she showed us out. 

We are out by 10: 35. My case got updated to "New card is being Produced" in about 2 hours. 😎

Overall it was a good experience. Even-though the IO did not seem friendly she was definitely professional and remained calm and no where she put us under pressure. Overall Tampa office is great from the security guard at the entrance until the interview. Everything went well. I wish everybody Good luck and please please one request is stick to the facts and be honest and confident.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.