BBGG

Driver license on K1 visa in Oregon (and driving after I-94 expires)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sharing my experience with getting driver license on K1 visa in Beaverton, Oregon.

I arrived on K1 visa on November 16, 2019. I was busy with other paperwork, so I only started the driver license quest on December 12, 2019.

I’ve quickly learned that I needed to be in a hurry as I could only get my driver license in Oregon while my I-94 was valid until Feb 13, 2020, so I only had a couple months.

My original understanding was that my newly received driver license would expire on the day when my I-94 (Arrival Record) expires, which was a shame, as I would not be able to drive until my EAD is issued a few months later and I can get a permanent driver license.

However, I learned that this is solvable – there is a 90-day “temporary license” that can be used starting from the I-94 expiration date and can be used until the EAD is issued.

During my driver license journey, I found very useful to call Oregon DMV - Portland Metropolitan Area hotline at (503) 299-99-99.

Please see details below - in a few posts in this thread, including:

Step 1. Preparing for theory test
Step 2. Applying for driver license
Step 3. Taking theory test
Step 4. Getting Instruction Permit
Step 5. Scheduling driving test
Step 6. Preparing for driving test
Step 7. Taking driving test
Step 8. Getting driver license that expires with I-94
Step 9. Getting 90-day temporary driver license after I-94 expires
Step 10. Getting permanent driver license after EAD is issued (I’m not there yet, my EAD is to only be issued in a few months)

Total expenses - $583

$5.00 – Theory test at DMV
$23.00 – Instruction Permit issuance fee
$420.00 – Driving lessons at 1st Learn to Drive
$55.00 – Driving exam #1 with Pacific Driver Education
$55.00 – Driving exam #2 with Pacific Driver Education
$25.00 – Driver license issuance fee

Timeline

Step 1. Preparing for theory test

On Dec 12, 2019, I walked into Beaverton DMV (10280 SW Park Way, Portland, OR 97225) and grabbed the Driver’s Manual that was freely available on a stand. I could very well download it from the Oregon DMV website instead (https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/driverid/licenseget.aspx). 

I gave it one good read which took me 3 days, and I felt I was ready for the test. 

There are apps for smartphones that also help to test your readiness (I used “Driver Start”), they do not necessarily represent the real questions from the test but I still found them helpful.

Step 2. Applying for driver license

It makes sense to go and apply for driver license once you are ready for the theory test as they will offer you to take it right away, on the day of application. But I guess you may re-negotiate the date with them, I did not try that and just came prepared.

On Dec 16, 2020 I went to DMV to apply for driver license for the first time. I took the queue number and waited for about 1.5 hours before it was my turn to speak to a DMV officer.

The documents I brought with me and was asked for at the officer’s counter:

1.    Filled out DMV driver license application form 735-173 (1-20) “APPLICATION FOR DRIVING PRIVILEGES OR ID CARD” (https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/173fill.pdf) – can download on their site in advance or take it from the stand in DMV office and fill out by hand while waiting.
2.    Passport with K-1 visa
3.    Proof of lawful presence in the US - I-94 printout from DHS site (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home)
4.    Proof of address – Marriage certificate (certified copy from county office)

All documents were accepted. The DMV officer entered my data from the above documents in his computer, turned his monitor to me and asked to check all the data. I confirmed it was correct. The officer also asked me if I had any other driver license, I said I have Russian driver license, he said “OK”, did not ask me to turn my Russian driver license in, and we moved on.

My DHS/SAVE base check did not seem to be a problem, the officer was able to verify me immediately. Next step – theory test.

Timeline

Step 3. Taking theory test

While standing right there at the counter, I paid $5 for the theory test by card and was invited to the testing area with computers. Did not have to lock my backpack, just put it next to my chair.

The Oregon driver theory test contains 35 questions and you must answer 28 correctly in order to pass.

I passed the test and I went back to the same DMV officer. The officer said I could now schedule my driving test (also called “behind-the-wheel test”).

Step 4. Getting Instruction Permit

During the same visit and after I passed the theory test, I asked if I could now start practicing driving. The officer said I would need an Instruction Permit (it’s basically Learner’s permit, just different name) and issued me one right away. 

I had to pay extra $23 for the Instruction Permit. I had to then go to another counter to have my picture taken for the Instruction Permit, and my Instruction Permit was printed out for me on a simple letter-sized paper right there. It was a “temporary” Instruction Permit, and my “permanent” Instruction Permit plastic card arrived a couple weeks later (on Dec 30) in mail.

I had a valid Russian driver license, but DMV “recommends” getting the Oregon driver license after 30 days from entering the US. DMV does not reinforce this rule, so if you show up later than that there will be no penalty. However, if you get pulled over by a police officer, they can ask you how long you have been in the US, and if that exceeds 30 days, and you still don’t have Oregon driver license, you may be in trouble.

So, my only way to practice for the driving test was getting the Instruction Permit. 

With Instruction Permit, I could drive the car as long as another adult licensed driver was in the car with me.

Step 5. Scheduling driving test

Again, during the same visit I asked questions about how to schedule the driving test.

Waiting time for official DMV driving test was 4-6 weeks, but I was told I could go to a commercial company and it would schedule my driving test earlier. The DMV officer provided the contact info of such companies in my area. 

The “Official” DMV driving test would be $9, a commercial company driving test – about $50-55, but they have much better availability.

I scheduled my test with a commercial company in Beaverton – “Pacific Driver Education” (https://www.pacificdrivereducation.com/) for Jan 3, 2020, the cost was $55.

Step 6. Preparing for driving test

As I mentioned above, with my Instruction Permit I had to have another driver in the car with me. It’s also important to have your name explicitly included in this particular car insurance. 

My husband added me to his car insurance, it took 10 mins and a few clicks on the insurance company website, but the insurance cost went up about $200 of course. 

My husband also sat in the car with me while I was practicing.

By the way, our car was Tesla Model 3, and I was told by DMV that I could have my driving test in it, but we ended up using the commercial school’s car anyway.

I felt like I needed more practice than my husband had time for, so I scheduled 3 x 2-hour lessons with a local driving school, I liked their instructors and I recommend it:

“1st Learn to Drive”
https://1stlearntodrive.com/contact/
13500 SW Pacific Hwy #58, Tigard, OR 97223
Phone: 503-509-0870
Email: drive@1stlearntodrive.com

$420 for 3 x 2-hour sessions, scheduled for:

Wednesday, Dec 18
Friday, Dec 20
Thursday, Dec 26

I pre-paid 100% of the lessons cost by card on the phone and got the receipt and appointments information via email right away.

They have good communication and availability. It was a bit difficult to schedule lessons with other schools in the area at such a short notice (I only had 3 weeks to prepare).

Edited by BBGG

Timeline

Step 7. Taking driving test

My first attempt was on Jan 3, 2020 and was not successful. 

I arrived at “Pacific Driver Education”, nice lady at the reception helped me fill out paperwork – one “CLASS C CERTIFICATE OF TEST COMPLETION” (official exam results for DMV) and their school’s disclaimer that they are not responsible for anything and I agree with that.

During the test, you start with a score of 100, and for every mistake the examiner takes a few points off the starting score. I ended up having 67, which was below the “passing” score of 76. You pass if you have anything above 76.

The examiner arrived and invited me in the car. I drove for about 10-15, and after we arrived back at the school parking, I was told that I did not pass mainly because I was “driving too slow, 5-10 miles below the limit” and was “too slow on turns”.

The examiner marked these mistakes, the final score, and “FAILED” check box in the official DMV exam results (“CLASS C CERTIFICATE OF TEST COMPLETION”) and took this sheet with him back to the school, I did not get a copy. The examiner only handed over to me a “less official” sheet where he also briefly marked my mistakes as “something to work on for the next attempt”.

I got out of the car and went home without going back to the school’s office. 

The wait time is required between each failed test, it is as follows:

1st test fail – 7 days
2nd test fail – 14 days
3rd test fail – 28 days
4th test fail – 28 days
5th test fail – 1 year

I could only book my second test after 7 calendar days, so I booked my next test for Jan 13, 2020 at the same school and paid another $55. 

I passed the test from this second attempt on Jan 13, 2020. This time my score was 91.

The examiner took the “CLASS C CERTIFICATE OF TEST COMPLETION” original with the score and his markings and put it into a small sealed envelope. The envelope said “Take this to DMV, do not open, valid for 30 days” and the examiner wrote my exam date (Jan 13, 2020) on it.

Step 8. Getting driver license that expires with I-94

I went to DMV on the same day, Jan 13, 2020, right after I passed the driving test at the commercial school.

I waited in the queue as usual, and when I got to the DMV officer’s counter, I handed over:

1.    Filled out DMV driver license application form 735-173 (1-20) “APPLICATION FOR DRIVING PRIVILEGES OR ID CARD” – yes, a new one, the previous one was already used for the Instruction Permit on Dec 16, 2020
2.    Passport with K-1 visa
3.    The sealed envelope from the school

The officer told me that they would be able to issue me driver license that will expire on Feb 13, 2020 when my I-94 expires as that is what the immigration service “showed him” when he entered my request electronically in his computer.

However, I can come when my driver license expires and request a 90-day “temporary” driver license. Then later, when I get my EAD, I can come and exchange my driver license to a permanent one.

The officer collected $25 driver license issuance fee from me (I paid by card), took my picture, and printed out the temporary paper driver license for me on a letter-sized sheet.

The “real” Driver License card arrived in mail on Jan 21, 2020 – 8 day later. As expected, it was expiring together with I-94 - on Feb 13, 2020. 

Interesting detail, the driver license number was the same with the Instructor’s Permit. Looks like that is my Driver ID that is not going to change ever while I’m driving in Oregon.

Edited by BBGG

Timeline

Step 9. Getting 90-day temporary driver license after I-94 expires

So, when driver license expired on Feb 13, I went to DMV to request the “temporary license”. 

I went on Feb 13 when my driver license was still valid, I did not have to wait until it actually expired.

When I got to the officer’s counter, the officer took my expiring driver license card (did not ask for any other documents) and filled out herself a little form, about 1/3 of a letter size sheet. The name of the form is 735-45A (5-17) “OREGON TEMPORARY DRIVER LICENSE / ID / PERMIT”.

It was a two-layer sheet where the officer wrote on a top white sheet and everything gets copied on a bottom yellow sheet. The officer tore off the top white part and kept it, and they gave me the bottom yellow part to keep.

This little yellow sheet of paper actually appeared to be my "temporary license". So, it was not a card, as usual.

They did not take my picture for this temporary license. They did not charge me for it. 

The form had my information (name, driver ID, height and weight, date of birth, sex, address), issuance date (Feb 13, 2020) and expiry date (May 13, 2020), valid for 90 day. The reason for issuance was marked as LP (legal presence). The type of temporary license – “renewal”. Then we both signed the form.

The DMV officer made a hole in my expiring driver license card which voided it. From now on I had to carry this voided driver license card together with the yellow "temporary license" sheet. One was not valid without the other.

With this 90-day temporary license, I can drive without another adult licensed driver in the car.

I was told that if my temporary license expires before I get my EAD, I can get another 90-day temporary license. I can get 3 such temporary licenses in total in a row.

Step 10. Getting permanent driver license after EAD is issued

I’m not there yet, my EAD is to only be issued in a few months. So, to be continued…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Pacific Driver Education is a total rip off. My husband has a perfect driving record and skills, and he also "failed" their test. It's a scam, everyone fails on the first attempt so they can make money....at least you "passed" the second time though. 

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Hi @millefleur, thank you, yes! I noticed that too. It looked suspicious how ridiculous the reason for my first failure sounded - "too slow, 5 miles below limit", and I did not make any actual mistakes apart from that. I agree they seem to be playing dirty game indeed, forcing people to pay for the second time.

Also, I had bad experience with Pacific when trying to book driving lessons. They suggested that I pre-pay 100% of the cost, and then they would offer lesson dates for me. If they didn't have any dates available when I needed (I had a 3 week preparation time) they would refund me for a significant fee. I could not understand why they could not tell me what dates they had available before I paid. That also was ridiculous, and I went with another, more reliable school.

Another person I know in Beaverton had her test at ODEC - Oregon Driver Education Center, https://www.drivereducationcenter.com/pickup_locations.html. She paid $50 and passed from the first attempt.

Timeline
On 2/14/2020 at 9:35 AM, BBGG said:

Hi @millefleur, thank you, yes! I noticed that too. It looked suspicious how ridiculous the reason for my first failure sounded - "too slow, 5 miles below limit", and I did not make any actual mistakes apart from that. I agree they seem to be playing dirty game indeed, forcing people to pay for the second time.

Also, I had bad experience with Pacific when trying to book driving lessons. They suggested that I pre-pay 100% of the cost, and then they would offer lesson dates for me. If they didn't have any dates available when I needed (I had a 3 week preparation time) they would refund me for a significant fee. I could not understand why they could not tell me what dates they had available before I paid. That also was ridiculous, and I went with another, more reliable school.

Another person I know in Beaverton had her test at ODEC - Oregon Driver Education Center, https://www.drivereducationcenter.com/pickup_locations.html. She paid $50 and passed from the first attempt.

Yep, they're super shady. My husband ended up just waiting out until a driving test day at the DMV was available (after failing with Pacific). He ended up passing on the first round and it was very pleasant and painless.

DMV's in the Portland area are surprisingly good. There are running jokes in the US about how the DMV is like a circle in hell, and everyone dreads going there. But actually, here, we're lucky. Friendly workers, not too long of wait times and generally informed staff (they even have quite a bit of Russian speakers). Hope you'll have a positive exprience once you go to apply for your permanent license.

By the way, do you know about the Real ID act coming this October?

Edited by millefleur

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
On 2/18/2020 at 2:10 AM, millefleur said:

My son lives in Beaverton and he was telling me about the problems with Oregon meeting the Real ID deadline. 

He also laughed about when he moved from Portland to Beaverton and tried to get an updated license they just sent him a sticker with his new address to paste on his drivers license.  He's been asked more than once while traveling what was up with that!

Get your act together OR.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
On 2/17/2020 at 11:10 PM, millefleur said:

My husband ended up just waiting out until a driving test day at the DMV was available (after failing with Pacific). He ended up passing on the first round and it was very pleasant and painless.

My other friend also booked her second test with DMV after a failure with a school at her first attempt, and she had very good experience at her second test. Even though she had to drive to a far away town in Oregon, about 3-4 hour drive, to get an appointment earlier than in 4 weeks as her K1 visa was about to expire. She gave me a tip that if you don't want to wait 4-6 weeks you can say that you are ready to have your driving test not in Portland/Beaverton but in any far away town in Oregon.

Anyway, she was trying to convince me to book my second test with DMV and wait 4 weeks, and then have a painless test, but I was not sure at that time if she just got lucky with her DMV examiner. But you write that your husband also had much better experience with DMV than with a school, so that's more evidence in favor of having the driving test with DMV, and not with a school. Hope other people who are considering these options could use this information to make a better decision than I did...

I also agree that Oregon DMV personnel is quite nice. I've had about 5 visits to Beaverton DMV in total and never had to wait for more than an hour in the line, and DMV clerks were always friendly and helpful. I guess you are right, we are fortunate on this front here. I've just bought a car and registered it, another not-as-stressful-as-it-could-be day at DMV.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:10 PM, millefleur said:

7 hours ago, Neonred said:

My son lives in Beaverton and he was telling me about the problems with Oregon meeting the Real ID deadline. 

Yes, I hear horror stories about how bad it probably will be, not sure if they all come true. One of the stories is that Oregon DMV is not planning to bring in more staff by the time when everybody rushes in to renew their IDs.

Oregon will start issuing Real IDs in June 2020, and they come into force on Oct 1, 2020. Just like everyone, I'm not convinced that 4 months are enough for let all Oregonians have new IDs issued, also that's a huge addition to DMV's existing everyday work.

I'll see how it goes, I have my foreign passport for traveling, and my husband has his US passport ready so we are planning to wait out until it all calms down before going and applying for our own Real IDs.

Edited by BBGG

Timeline
10 hours ago, Neonred said:

He also laughed about when he moved from Portland to Beaverton and tried to get an updated license they just sent him a sticker with his new address to paste on his drivers license.  He's been asked more than once while traveling what was up with that!

Wait...is the sticker update method not normal? I thought that's what everyone did!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline
8 minutes ago, millefleur said:

Wait...is the sticker update method not normal? I thought that's what everyone did!

Well, not in FL and several other states.  Here they make a new license with the the new info.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Update after I got my EAD/AP card on March 13, 2020: 

In short, I did not manage to quickly renew my driver's license due to a sudden lengthy manual SAVE verification check at DMV (still pending), so I'm currently using my temporary driver's license (the "yellow paper" one) that DMV did not yet take away from me. Luckily, it's valid until mid-May 2020.

My EAD card was issued and mailed to me by the USCIS on Tuesday, March 10, 2020, I received it in mail on Friday, March 13, 2020 around 12pm. I immediately went to DMV and applied for renewal of my driving license based on my new EAD card.

When the DMV officer took my application and entered my new EAD card data in his system he said that he cannot verify my status (or, more precisely, my new EAD card) with DHS and manual SAVE database verification is needed (yes, the dreaded "manual SAVE verification" that often prevents people from getting their SSN and driver's licenses on time).

Oh my glob, I thought I was done with these verifications after troubles with getting my SSN, but here we go again.

He would not be able to issue me a new driver's license on that day as the manual SAVE check required 10 business days (= 2 weeks). He requested the manual check and gave me a "SAVE verification check case number" on a US letter-size sheet. I could use this number to check my SAVE case status online at https://save.uscis.gov/casecheck/. When the manual SAVE check is finished I will need to come back to DMV to complete my driver's license renewal application. When I go back to DMV I have to bring with me the "SAVE verification check case number" paper that the officer gave me.

Interestingly, after I left DMV on March 13, later on that day I checked my SAVE case status online and it showed:

Case status: Case Returned to Agency

Description: SAVE has returned your case to Oregon - Department of Transportation, Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.

What Do I Do Next? Please contact Oregon - Department of Transportation, Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division to get more information about your case status.

This looked like the check was completed so I went back to DMV on the next working day - Monday, March 16. I checked my SAVE case online an hour before my visit and it was still showing "Case Returned to Agency" which looked good. However, when I got to the DMV officer's counter, she checked my SAVE case status herself (it took good 20 minutes and couple reboots of her PC, SAVE service seemed to be particularly slow on that day) she saw it was not at all completed and showed "Case Under Review" - something totally different from what I saw. She turned her screen to me and showed me what she was seeing. She told me that with this "Case Under Review" status, I have to continue waiting until 10 business days are due, and keep checking the status online.

When I got back home, on the same day (March 16) I checked the SAVE case status again, looks like it did bounce back to "Case Under Review", here's what I saw:

Case Status: Case Under Review

Maximum Days Left: 6

Description: SAVE is reviewing your case.

How Long Will This Take? SAVE will process your case as quickly as possible. Please check the status of your case with SAVE CaseCheck periodically. If there is no change to your case within 20 days, please contact your benefit-granting agency.

I guess all this means that when a new EAD card is issued it may take time for this information to appear in Department of Homeland Security's SAVE database, just like the Port-of-Entry information sometimes takes weeks to get there and people have troubles getting their SSN. Maybe if I waited for a couple weeks after I got my EAD card and then went to DMV, the SAVE check would verify me immediately, and the "manual request" would not be required, but who knows. I'll write the update on my situation as soon as something changes.

Edited by BBGG

Timeline

Additional thought:

When I had troubles getting SSN due to SAVE verification problems (and a "manual check" was requested for me), I found this very useful post on VisaJourney:

Quote: "The number we all need, and SSA needs to call for verification problems -  888-464-4218"

There seems to be a "magic phone number" that you can call if you have problems with SAVE verification, and any kind of officer tells you that a "manual check" is needed.

This seems to work with SSA, but I never heard anyone trying that with DMV. Maybe if I lose patience waiting for my SAVE verification to come through I'll call this number and see if it works in my situation.

Timeline

Okay, I was curious and did indeed call this magic number 888-464-4218 for SAVE verification problems resolution, I quickly got connected to a very adequate and friendly DHS agent. I described my situation to her - that I just got my EAD card and was trying to renew my driver's license based on it, but got myself into SAVE manual verification. She said that she understands my frustration about this delay, but she said that unlike SAVE checks with SSN where clerk's mistakes may be the case, in my case with DMV everything is happening as it should, manual check is an expected outcome, and under normal circumstances it takes 5-10 business days. However she also said that due to COVID-19 this waiting period is officially extended to 10-20 business days (2-4 calendar weeks). So, all I can do is wait patiently now.

Edited by BBGG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.