43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, onek said:

Don’t take it negative, just trying to be help you after reading these posts since January of this year. You have been asking for help for six months and things are still not clear. You don’t want to make a mistake in this important process and end up in a situation where you have expired GC, expired Driver License, and you are unable to work.  Lawyer will cost you money, but minimize the impact of mistakes.   In long term, you may end up saving money and time by hiring a lawyer.   

VJ has a section for professional help if you want to go that route.

I don’t take it negatively, but you make assumptions a bit easily which aren’t quite helpful. Example, do you have knowledge about immigrant widow victim of “ important” abuses? - not that I feel a victim-; and trying to reconstruct at own pace. 

42 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

To increase the chance of your questions being seen and answered, you can start a new thread, explaining your case briefly followed by the specific inquiries -the clearer, the better-.

And the title should be related to the inquiries. 😊

Good luck! 

I thought of that too, thanks.  I’m new here, still figuring out how this works, where and what to put where, bc there is not much regarding widows and then not much regarding some grey zones, stuck in the process, etc. although I could find some info elsewhere I wanted to share for  those who might need it. Oh well....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not see that any of the questions have anything to do with widows specifically.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would think Off Topic as it seems the Immigration questions have been answered.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 7/13/2020 at 11:28 AM, Bluelake1 said:

Thank you so much!! Last crucial things:

1. Unemployment: I’ll be in the middle of the process when gc expires while I’m transitioning, I mean waiting for the receipt from USCIS, or postal certified mail receipt?

a. Can I still file a new claim?

b. Certify weekly? 

2. SS benefits for which I’ll have to register in advance? 

1 and 2 are vital living expenses without which I won’t be able to rush forward- due to all covid delays.

3. AR-11 and I-90: send first before or after  the second?  

In I-90 when you mentioned “yes”, it’s ok not to file the last address which is not required ( no asterisk)? 

And port of entry question I only have the state but unsure of the city, ( I’m mostly  certain but I take a chance). All my stuff is in another location I can’t attend right now to get the info. 

All ll I’ll have to organize within what’s open or not or delayed of the agencies I’ll have to deal with in this regards. 

Again thank you grandly!!! it’s so difficult to do this without him ....

Boiler, these were the last questions related to gc renewal I was referring to. 

• 2 weeks later...

A little follow up: given all the tech logistic issues and the grave consequences experienced since I lost my spouse, including lack of access to my papers as mentioned, I see there is part 8 in the form where one can provide additional information. It’s where I am thinking to give a brief explanation about the why I can’t provide  ( account #) or be sure of the Poe entry, and assert that all is completed in good faith and from the best of my knowledge. 

This part 8 at first sight may save me bc I dont like to doubt or leave gray zones without honest explanation, plus it allows me to inform them about the extreme experience after the loss of hubby ( too extreme to mention here) and which part relates directly to this application. And with the pandemic it’s difficult to travel to get those papers, although still trying to do that. So if this makes sense I’ll be in time to send it. 

I also noticed that widows are absent from here, and not much info either, the pinned section is like 6 years old. 

If anyone has thoughts about this solution or have knowledge/ experience they’ll be precious!!

Thanks for taking the time to read or help as little as it can be. 

Ps I can’t afford a lawyer and good ones are rare nowadays. 

Filed: Timeline

Ok so you are just renewing your 10yr card cause its expiring. You fill out the i90. Here are 2 links that give a walk through of it. https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/uscis-i-90-form/  

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filling-out-uscis-form-i-90-renew-replace-green-card.html

Read through them and ask if you still have questions. The only thing being a widow would impact when filing the i90 would be if you were changing your name due to the change in marital status. If you only had a 2yr card and are now trying to get a 10yr one then you'd do a different form which has requirements for filing as a widow. 

If this is your 2nd 10yr card you should consider applying for citizenship. Is there a reason why you didnt apply for citizenship yet? Besides being able to vote and travel freely there are many social service programs you need to be a citizen to use. You also wont need to do this again 10 years from now! If you do want to pursue citizenship but things are too hectic right now to deal with it thats ok, just make it a priority for the future. There are guides for it on here that are up to date. The n400 can take a year or more to process so the sooner you can send it the better. 

I saw you also had various questions about work and SSN and stuff. I think the best advice for you is to not worry so much about it. Once you file the i90 you get a NOA receipt. If you then need to present your greencard for any purpose--- If the card is expired you would need to take your NOA to your local office and get a stamp in your passport. If you dont have a passport there is a process for them to create and stamp a document instead but its complicated so youd be better off getting your passport if you can. 

And yes, there is a law saying you need to have your valid greencard on you at all times. Its not a big deal if you dont though. You can carry a copy of the NOA + expired card. 

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Ok so you are just renewing your 10yr card cause its expiring. You fill out the i90. Here are 2 links that give a walk through of it. https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/uscis-i-90-form/  

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filling-out-uscis-form-i-90-renew-replace-green-card.html

Read through them and ask if you still have questions. The only thing being a widow would impact when filing the i90 would be if you were changing your name due to the change in marital status. If you only had a 2yr card and are now trying to get a 10yr one then you'd do a different form which has requirements for filing as a widow. 

If this is your 2nd 10yr card you should consider applying for citizenship. Is there a reason why you didnt apply for citizenship yet? Besides being able to vote and travel freely there are many social service programs you need to be a citizen to use. You also wont need to do this again 10 years from now! If you do want to pursue citizenship but things are too hectic right now to deal with it thats ok, just make it a priority for the future. There are guides for it on here that are up to date. The n400 can take a year or more to process so the sooner you can send it the better. 

I saw you also had various questions about work and SSN and stuff. I think the best advice for you is to not worry so much about it. Once you file the i90 you get a NOA receipt. If you then need to present your greencard for any purpose--- If the card is expired you would need to take your NOA to your local office and get a stamp in your passport. If you dont have a passport there is a process for them to create and stamp a document instead but its complicated so youd be better off getting your passport if you can. 

And yes, there is a law saying you need to have your valid greencard on you at all times. Its not a big deal if you dont though. You can carry a copy of the NOA + expired card. 

Thanks a lot for taking the time!! Was advised to post smaller portions of my case and had on General immigration section some answers. 

You offered help if I have questions , last q which affected me was that I don’t recall the Poe, by land, and had idea to explain in section 8 : I cannot access my papers -passport with the info- which are in a secure location far away, as had experienced hardships loosing my spouse and had to move. And end with I swear all it’s true and nothing but the truth, etc which is the truth of course. 

Some said not to worry other that’s lame. Would like your opinion, What are the risks? 

Again in thank you  so much!!

Filed: Timeline

Well you must have a general idea of where you entered. There are only 2 land borders- Canada and Mexico. Two totally different places so you must at least know which one you crossed from. Then you can narrow it down further if you can remember if you entered more towards the east coast the west coast or central. 

The main point of that question is for them to make sure they have the right person/case file. Many people have the same names or birthdays. USCIS also likes collecting and storing data and using it to confirm your identity. But you have to remember this form is just for a renewal of your card. You are not applying for a new benefit. For the information you need on this form that you say you dont have its not a big deal. They shouldnt reject it if you say you dont know. They may have to research it themselves which will take additional processing time. 

So I would suggest in section 8 in your explanation to try to tell them anything you can even if its not the exact POE. For example- We crossed from Mexico into California but I dont know what the crossing station name was. Or we came from Canada into Minnesota.  You can enter it directly on the form in section 8 in which case its part of the form so you sign at the end and it covers all the pages. Or if you are going to write a separate piece of paper and attach it you need to follow the instructions on the form and write your A#, date, signature, etc. You can include a statement saying what you wrote is under penalty but again its part of your form and theres a statement saying that when you sign the form. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.