APHoward01

Dual Citizenship for new baby

22 posts in this topic

HI,

My wife recently became a US Citizen and she has not yet reacquired her citizenship, she is due in April. We were wondering if she has not reacquired  her Filipino Citizenship by the time the baby is born, can our baby still acquire dual citizenship? 

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, APHoward01 said:

HI,

My wife recently became a US Citizen and she has not yet reacquired her citizenship, she is due in April. We were wondering if she has not reacquired  her Filipino Citizenship by the time the baby is born, can our baby still acquire dual citizenship? 

Thank you

Nope.   Mother must be a Philippine citizen at the time of birth.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Republic Act No. 9225, Section 4:

Derivative Citizenship - The unmarried child, whether legitimate, illegitimate or adopted, below eighteen (18) years of age, of those who re-acquire Philippine citizenship upon effectivity of this Act shall be deemed citizenship of the Philippines.

Timeline

Correct. Which means she best get busy and re-acquire her Philippine citizenship before the baby is born (April) if she wants the child to have dual citizenship.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Correct. Which means she best get busy and re-acquire her Philippine citizenship before the baby is born (April) if she wants the child to have dual citizenship.

I think you need to reread what that is saying 

YMMV

My bad for just posting a reference without providing my own interpretation of what it was saying.

Sounds like you've got 18 years from birth of the baby to reacquire citizenship and establish derivative citizenship for the child.

Timeline
1 hour ago, slp said:

My bad for just posting a reference without providing my own interpretation of what it was saying.

Sounds like you've got 18 years from birth of the baby to reacquire citizenship and establish derivative citizenship for the child.

You made go read .. that is what it states .. interesting.       Learned something new.    Thanks

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2003/ra_9225_2003.html

A derivative dual citizenship must be distinguished from a dual citizen by birth. A dual citizen by birth is a natural born Filipino born in the US/foreign country that allows dual citizenship; thus all that person/parent’s of the person needs to do is Report the Birth

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, APHoward01 said:

HI,

Thank you

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizensh1p-ra-9225

based on this, the baby can apply for derivative dual citizenship after the former Filipino parent reaquires his/her dual citizenship as long as the child/ren are 18 yrs and younger. this is different from dual citizenship by birth.

Edited by xyz12345

Thank you for all the replies. I think we will just wait then, not fun to make a 3 hour drive in the winter with a wife that is 7 months pregnant haha.

• 4 months later...
Timeline
2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Once you get dual citizenship for your child, then you or your wife buys any land in Philippines you can as a US Citizen get you name on the title of land as the legal guardian of your minor children.

You can have your name on the deed if your spouse buys land.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Another thing I learned the hard way, is never but a vehicle whether it be a car or motorcycle in your name if you are a foreigner.

Always put in wife, girlfriend, best friends name on the title.  Just in case you get in a accident especially in a small town you will automatically be at fault.  Once the other party finds out the vehicle is not registered to you then all of the sudden they quit trying to claim damage and get money.  It's magic

Timeline
2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Big time difference between deed and title

What is the "big difference" between a deed and title??    We aren't talking vehicles here.  ;)  

What other legal document do (or did) you receive conveying ownership in property (terra ferma) if not a DEED ?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Title refers to your legal ownership of a home—it gives you the right to live there and sleep there and use it as you wish. “Title,” though it sounds like a document you’d find in a three-ring binder somewhere, is a concept, not a piece of paper. In case this definition is still a little foggy, know that title refers to a “bundle of rights” to a property that gets transferred from seller to buyer

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.