jeszy

Where to put immigrant in the 1040?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi,

I am filing taxes for the first time (jointly). I arrived on a K1 visa and got married in Jan. 

I got my Green card in May 2019. 

I can see all over the news that its really important to put ?immigrant? on the forms. 

Where are those fields exactly? Where I should pay attention and what do I have to write exactly?

Thanks,

Daniel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your timeline shows you filed for adjustment of status in Nov 2018... technically you were able to file jointly for tax year 2018 (filed in 2019). If you didn't I can only assume you must have been better off not filing jointly for some reason.

The tax forms have no field to indicate immigration status at all. If you've lived together with your spouse all of 2019 then you are eligible to file married filing jointly (MFJ).

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

I did not file for 2018 because I had no income at all and tbh we were not thinking about it really.

And the new laws i am referring to: https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41563323/new-green-card-laws-2020

The new green card rules for 2020 include:

- Failing to admit you’re an immigrant on your tax returns or failing to report some of your income could get you deported

5 minutes ago, jeszy said:

I did not file for 2018 because I had no income at all and tbh we were not thinking about it really.

And the new laws i am referring to: https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41563323/new-green-card-laws-2020

The new green card rules for 2020 include:

- Failing to admit you’re an immigrant on your tax returns or failing to report some of your income could get you deported

If it’s a new rule in 2020, then it won’t effect 2019 tax returns as its 2019 for the previous year. There are no legal status questions or citizenship related questions on the current 2019 IRS form 1040.

visa Issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.