Caladan

Bank of America

26 posts in this topic

We opened a joint account for C. and me today, and a personal account for him, at our local Bank of America branch.

No fuss about his not yet having a social security number. I can send that in whenever it arrives and update their records. (It's not a big deal except for the 1099 with interest.)

My hint, and I apologize if this is common knowledge: find a bank near a university. Lots of non-immigrants, J-1s and F-1s, mostly, near a university. Lots of non-immigrants *without* work authorization, and hence often no need for social security numbers. The banks want student business, so they're not picky about 'all of our members must be citizens' or any nonsense like that, and they've handled immigrants and non-immigrants before.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks, that'll work for me. It's a University town. :)

Edited by Tinker

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yea...I remember the drama about BoA giving credit cards to illegal immigrants. Some pple were PISSED....

I had an account there before my husband came - so I just added him to my account. The only thing is that the bank charges you if you do not have direct deposit - and my husband cannot work yet.

So, he and I have a joint account - he does not have his own.

But it's better this way for us.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Very similar experience to the one I've had with US Bank, so I'd like to add my recommendation for them! I opened an account with them on my first (week)day here - they weren't at all bothered that I didn't have an SSN, or any kind of proof of address, even (!), they just told me to bring in my SSN so they could update it when I got one. I can't believe how easy it was - it isn't even as though my (now-) husband already banked with them, although he does now as I went in and opened a joint account for us a few days ago. They've also given me a (secured) credit card, although I'm still waiting for the thing to arrive - apparently it was mailed a week ago, but no sign of it as yet...

It's nice when some of this stuff is straightforward & simple to sort out! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Yea...I remember the drama about BoA giving credit cards to illegal immigrants. Some pple were PISSED....

I had an account there before my husband came - so I just added him to my account. The only thing is that the bank charges you if you do not have direct deposit - and my husband cannot work yet.

So, he and I have a joint account - he does not have his own.

But it's better this way for us.

I think I remember reading that BoA (and Wells Fargo) was also loaning money to illegals. Personally that would piss me off too.

The bank we use here...Regions Bank...didn't have a problem adding my husband once he got here. I think a lot of banks that DO have a problem don't take the time to read their own procedure manuals. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

"Loaning money to illegals" just means "doesn't require proof of a social security number, just income." That's really as it should be; the increasing use of a social security number as a national ID card is not only a pain in the ###, but it's a risk for identity theft.

In any case, I don't think it's Bank of America's job to enforce immigration policy; if it turns out to be a bad business decision to lend to illegal aliens, they'll reverse it pretty fast. In the meantime, a policy loose enough that an illegal immigrant could use it is also one less hoop that a legal immigrant has to jump through.

AOS

-

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
We opened a joint account for C. and me today, and a personal account for him, at our local Bank of America branch.

No fuss about his not yet having a social security number. I can send that in whenever it arrives and update their records. (It's not a big deal except for the 1099 with interest.)

My hint, and I apologize if this is common knowledge: find a bank near a university. Lots of non-immigrants, J-1s and F-1s, mostly, near a university. Lots of non-immigrants *without* work authorization, and hence often no need for social security numbers. The banks want student business, so they're not picky about 'all of our members must be citizens' or any nonsense like that, and they've handled immigrants and non-immigrants before.

Be careful. We got a letter in the mail from Skank of America telling us if we didn't supply it ITIN or SSN within 60 days, the account would be CLOSED. Obviously the fact my SSN was all over the account had no bearing on that. Whatever. I'm leaving that bank for other reasons but I think they're crappy business people in general. Especially ever since I read the article about how they handled one girl's identify theft on MSNBC's Red Tape Chronicles.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
The downside is of course that you are now a member of Bank of America.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I have more issues than I can explain with those people.

1. They stole the Keep the Change idea from a guy in West Palm. Currently being taken to court.

2. I have to wait 15 minutes to talk to a person if I need any help. And that's just navigating through their sneaky menu that purposely tries to prevent you from talking to a live person.

3. http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/05/id_thief_bounce.html

4. They told us that my husband didn't need his SSN or ITIN - mine was fine. Cue a letter arriving that they needed it with a copy of his passport. Luckily he had an ITIN - if he hadn't, they would have closed the account. Apparently the fact my SSN was all over the account didn't matter, and I was lied to at the branch.

...yeah I'm with a credit union now :D

(PS - yes, I should have added this onto the first reply, but it wouldn't let me. :( :( :()

Edited by meow mix

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline
The downside is of course that you are now a member of Bank of America.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I have more issues than I can explain with those people.

1. They stole the Keep the Change idea from a guy in West Palm. Currently being taken to court.

2. I have to wait 15 minutes to talk to a person if I need any help. And that's just navigating through their sneaky menu that purposely tries to prevent you from talking to a live person.

3. http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/05/id_thief_bounce.html

4. They told us that my husband didn't need his SSN or ITIN - mine was fine. Cue a letter arriving that they needed it with a copy of his passport. Luckily he had an ITIN - if he hadn't, they would have closed the account. Apparently the fact my SSN was all over the account didn't matter, and I was lied to at the branch.

...yeah I'm with a credit union now :D

(PS - yes, I should have added this onto the first reply, but it wouldn't let me. :( :( :()

i too have had a ton of problems with BoA. as far as opening a bank account, simply use your ITIN or SSN, its the law. why support banks that break the law by not requiring ITIN's or SSN's. first thing my wife and i did after getting married was obtain a ITIN for the purposes of IRS filling and the ability to put her on our checking account.

I don't think it's breaking the law not to require a SSN for non-tax purposes.

I'll keep people posted. C. had his passport with him, and we'll add his SSN to the account as soon as it arrives (probably next Monday or so.)

I'm not thrilled with the whole BoA thing, but my credit union wouldn't let me add C. to the account unless I could prove we were married, and since C.'s starting a job, we needed somewhere for him to put the money.

AOS

-

Be careful. We got a letter in the mail from Skank of America telling us if we didn't supply it ITIN or SSN within 60 days, the account would be CLOSED. Obviously the fact my SSN was all over the account had no bearing on that. Whatever. I'm leaving that bank for other reasons but I think they're crappy business people in general. Especially ever since I read the article about how they handled one girl's identify theft on MSNBC's Red Tape Chronicles.

It happened to me too, w/ Wells Fargo. When we opened the accounts, the agents were more than happy to know we chose them. But a few weeks later, I received mails asking me to supply the SSN or the accounts (savings and checking) will be closed within 10 days. I went to complain since I have supplied the SSN and other documents they asked for when my husband and I opened the accounts. I called their Fraud and Prevention Unit hotline to clarify why I am getting these mails, they said they never had a record in their system that such notices were authorized to be sent to me. I told them we will close all the accounts and transfer to another bank if I receive another one. And I asked the manager who's responsible for the automated mailing and grievances so I can know who to go after. They apologized and the disheartening mails stopped, at least for now. We are now receiving letters stating the interests we earned.

Edited by mysticbluerose

I can attest to this situation having been the same for me last summer with PNC Bank. I went to visit my now fiancée in the US for 2 months between July and September 2006 and we opened an account at PNC so I could deposit the cash I'd brought with me and just carry a debit card, as well as to have an account ready for the future (which is now the present :P). They did ask for an SSN but had no problem when I said I was an alien (and not even a resident -- just a stupid tourist!) and had no SSN. I just showed them my ID and that was it. They didn't even require my fiancée to be a co-signer on the account, although we made her so nonetheless.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.