The4Sands

DCF in London - January 2020

1,205 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, The4Sands said:

That's really helpful information, as I was wondering: even if we did get notice our petition was approved, how long would it be before we actually got our LND number and could start moving thing along?  That gives me a vague time frame to work with in terms of making sure I have all my ducks in a row with all my supporting docs.

Yeah, we're in the same boat as you. I can't see any way of getting transcripts if you live abroad right now  My taxes have been filed, but I can't see how I'm going to get a transcript.  In our case, I'm hoping that transcripts from our joint sponsor will be enough (as he does have his already, thank goodness my parents are so organised!) alongside my tax returns, but I will keep trying until the last minute to get a hold of them.  

Based on FA081's post, it looks like the London Office are sending out an estimated waiting time of 5 weeks from I-130 petition approval (NOA2) to receiving your LND number.

I am hoping that by the time we get closer to our interview, the IRS helpline will reopen and it will be possible to obtain a tax transcript. Worst case scenario, if it still isn't possible to obtain a transcript, then we are going to just print out our tax returns (with attached schedules) and a screenshot of the IRS "Get My Payment" website confirming that taxes have been filed.

Edited by os306

Here's hoping some of us that are waiting to get notification that they HAVE our applications get emails today and tomorrow. Post when you do. I'm still waiting on mine. :)

46 minutes ago, Robyn-n-Kris said:

Here's hoping some of us that are waiting to get notification that they HAVE our applications get emails today and tomorrow. Post when you do. I'm still waiting on mine. :)

Was just going to post the same thing. We haven't heard anything yet, but fingers crossed for tomorrow.. 

We just received the following e-mail from the London Field Office:

This email serves as notice to acknowledge receipt of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, that you sent to the USCIS London Field Office.

Due to the impact of COVID-19 on our normal operations, the $535.00 fee payment that you provided with your petition cannot be processed at this time. Once processed, we will send you a follow-up email to confirm that the payment has been taken and to provide the anticipated adjudication time. Under current circumstances, we intend to conduct the I-130 adjudication by July, if not sooner. You may check for general updates on our operating status at our USCIS London webpages, at https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/international-offices/united-kingdom-uscis-london-field-office and https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/.

Thank you for your understanding during these uncertain times.

Keeping our fingers crossed for anyone else waiting to receive confirmation that their petitions were received. 

1 minute ago, os306 said:

This email serves as notice to acknowledge receipt of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, that you sent to the USCIS London Field Office.

Due to the impact of COVID-19 on our normal operations, the $535.00 fee payment that you provided with your petition cannot be processed at this time. Once processed, we will send you a follow-up email to confirm that the payment has been taken and to provide the anticipated adjudication time. Under current circumstances, we intend to conduct the I-130 adjudication by July, if not sooner. You may check for general updates on our operating status at our USCIS London webpages, at https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/international-offices/united-kingdom-uscis-london-field-office and https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/.

Keeping our fingers crossed for anyone else waiting to receive confirmation that their petitions were received. 

I'm so glad they actually got back to you!  Hopefully it will be "sooner" that they're able to adjudicate for you!!

9 minutes ago, os306 said:

So happy for you. I'm dying to get that email. <Must stop refreshing email>... :)

Just now, Robyn-n-Kris said:

So happy for you. I'm dying to get that email. <Must stop refreshing email>... :)

Same here.  I've tried to bury my head in work and not look at my phone, but I've not been very successful 😖

Just now, The4Sands said:

Same here.  I've tried to bury my head in work and not look at my phone, but I've not been very successful 😖

I'm furloughed, so its even harder not to keep looking. ARGH! 

1 minute ago, Robyn-n-Kris said:

I'm furloughed, so its even harder not to keep looking. ARGH! 

2 minutes ago, The4Sands said:

Sending you both as many positive vibes as we possibly can! Look forward to seeing your posts after you receive your e-mails later today/tomorrow :)

On 5/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, The4Sands said:

My taxes have been filed, but I can't see how I'm going to get a transcript.  In our case, I'm hoping that transcripts from our joint sponsor will be enough 

Could I ask, what did you guys file as? Married jointly or single because I’m assuming your spouse doesn’t have an ITIN or SSN so I don’t know how it’ll work? I’ve read that you need to file married jointly or it becomes an issue later on. 

I’m trying to get my taxes sorted which is proving to be nearly impossible atm. I’ve never filed as having lived in the UK since I was 13. Any tips for filing would be appreciated. We will need to get a joint sponsor for the financial part as I’m currently unemployed.

1 hour ago, FA081 said:

Could I ask, what did you guys file as? Married jointly or single because I’m assuming your spouse doesn’t have an ITIN or SSN so I don’t know how it’ll work? I’ve read that you need to file married jointly or it becomes an issue later on. 

I’m trying to get my taxes sorted which is proving to be nearly impossible atm. I’ve never filed as having lived in the UK since I was 13. Any tips for filing would be appreciated. We will need to get a joint sponsor for the financial part as I’m currently unemployed.

Actually my parents' accountant recommended married filling separately, and for the non-USC just to put NRA for non-resident Alien where it asks for the spouse's SSN. I've filed them successfully like that for several years now and haven't had any difficulty, so I've assumed it's okay. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, FA081 said:

Married jointly or single because I’m assuming your spouse doesn’t have an ITIN or SSN so I don’t know how it’ll work? I’ve read that you need to file married jointly or it becomes an issue later on. 

You can not file “single” if you were married during the tax year.

Married Filing Separately is the one to choose over Married Filing Jointly in this instance where you are living/working  abroad. It is absolutely not an issue later on. 

Ah the joys of taxes.

So my wife (USC) has been living in the UK for 8 years now, she hasn't filled her taxes for a while, so this is going to be a fun and interesting experience. We have US friends living here who are going to help us file as me being a UKC have no idea what I'm doing and she hasn't done them in some time. Does anyone have any good links or tips for filing from abroad? We will obviously be Googling ourselves but if anyone has used one thats been helpful, we would really appreciate this. We have also just had our first son born 3 weeks ago, so are both just living a blur at the minute. Trying to find time to all this between trying to stay awake will be interesting haha.

Am I reading what you're saying correct in that I, as a UKC, need also file along with her as I'm her husband?

In visa news, we got out I-I30 approval through on March 16th (filed February 10th) and are still waiting for our case number (now into week 9 of getting that letter) so it does look like things are backed up at the embassy, which is to be expected. Has anyone else got their case number through recently?

5 minutes ago, AlanD26 said:

Am I reading what you're saying correct in that I, as a UKC, need also file along with her as I'm her husband?

Sorry, I think I made that more confusing that it should be.  No, you as the UK citizen do not need to file because... you can't (unless you have a SSN/ITIN and have earned money in the US somehow).  Your spouse needs to file Married Filing Separately, and the form will ask her for info on her spouse (mostly just name and SSN) and she just needs to put NRA for your SSN.  From my personal experience, she will have to file paper taxes and mail them in as I haven't found any e-filing software that will let you fill in anything other than a number for the SSN (as if the process isn't slow enough).

That sucks about filing back taxes.  The foreign earned exemption stuff is pretty reasonable, so hopefully she won't owe.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.