laylalex

I tried to interview Sen. Peter Lucido. He told me a group of schoolboys ‘could have a lot of fun’ with me.

2 posts in this topic

As I turned to walk away, he asked, “You’ve heard of De La Salle, right?” 

I told him I hadn’t. 

“It’s an all boys’ school,” he told me.

“You should hang around! You could have a lot of fun with these boys, or they could have a lot of fun with you.”

The teenagers burst into an Old Boys’ Network-type of laughter, and I walked away knowing that I had been the punchline of their “locker room” talk.

Except it wasn’t the locker room; it was the Senate chamber. And this isn’t high school. It’s my career. 

I’m 22 years old and one of the youngest current Capitol reporters. The senator’s insinuating comments about the “fun” I might have with a group of teenage boys was belittling and it came from a place of power. 

https://www.michiganadvance.com/2020/01/15/i-tried-to-interview-sen-peter-lucido-he-told-me-a-group-of-schoolboys-could-have-a-lot-of-fun-with-me/

A woman just out there doing her job in the world should not be subjected to this kind of garbage. This guy is thinking about running for governor of Michigan. We need fewer people in positions of who think it's just fine to make women feel less than.

I thought it was funny, and all the comical exaggerations and MeToo posturing are to be expected, but he's not an idiot and knows exactly how the things he said would be interpreted. He should be well antiquated with how everything he said will be placed under a microscope and analyzed to death, and the bottom line is, it's inappropriate at work. Jokes like this, assuming he was in fact, joking, I'd never say at work. On the other hand, anywhere else, fair game. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds