peejay

Plans for wind farm off S. Texas coast dropped

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

By JOHN PORRETTO

Associated Press

Plans to build what would have been the nation's largest offshore wind farm in South Texas have been called off because the multibillion-dollar project didn't make economic sense, the developer said today.

John Calaway, chief development officer for Babcock & Brown Ltd., the Australian investment bank, said the company notified the state a month ago it was giving up its 30-year lease on nearly 40,000 acres in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Padre Island.

Calaway was chief executive of Houston-based Superior Renewable Energy when the agreement was announced 14 months ago. Superior was acquired by Babcock & Brown last summer.

"We just don't see the economics working offshore in Texas," Calaway said, noting the project cost would have been "in the billions."

He said offshore wind farms on the East Coast, such as a proposed project off the coast of Massachusetts, are more logical and potentially viable because of land constraints and higher energy prices in the region.

The now-defunct Texas project called for construction of about 170 turbines, each 400 feet tall, with the capacity to generate 500 megawatts of energy — enough to power about 125,000 homes.

Babcock is moving on with an onshore wind farm in South Texas' Kenedy County, a $700 million-plus venture that calls for 157 turbines on thousands of acres, Calaway said. He noted the expense of building an offshore farm can be more than double the cost of one on land.

Like the nixed offshore project, Babcock's Kenedy County wind farm, slated to begin spinning late next year, has been criticized by some conservationists because of its potential to kill migrating birds and harm the pristine nature of the area, which is popular for hunting and fishing.

Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson said he was disappointed to see Babcock drop the project, but he was confident another developer would be found because of the ideal location and the ease of doing business with only one land owner — the state of Texas.

In fact, Patterson said he spoke to a few potential suitors at a wind conference last week in Los Angeles. He said those entities were good prospects because they've built offshore wind projects overseas.

"They want to do a little more due diligence," he said.

Land Office spokesman Jim Suydam said the offshore lease had called for an annual payment of $80,000 plus a percentage of production that could have generated anywhere from $34 million to $100 million for public schools.

The state also has leased 11,355 acres off the coast of Galveston to a Louisiana company building a similar but smaller farm. That venture, with 50 turbines, is moving forward and could be operating in the next few years, Patterson's office said.

Texas last year gained acclaim by surpassing California as the nation's top producer of wind energy, and that capacity is forecast to grow rapidly in the next several years.

In a recent report, the Department of Energy said the nation's wind-power capacity increased by 27 percent in 2006, and that the U.S. had the fastest-growing wind-power capacity in the world in 2005 and 2006.

Still, despite wind farms now operating in 36 states, wind accounts for less than 1 percent of the U.S. power supply.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4880486.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

I don't know the particulars of this case, but these seem to work well overseas. Why are they economically viable there and not here?

Edited by William33

By JOHN PORRETTO

Associated Press

He said offshore wind farms on the East Coast, such as a proposed project off the coast of Massachusetts, are more logical and potentially viable because of land constraints and higher energy prices in the region.

Opposed by the rich Democratic elite of Massachusetts because it will spoil their view. No joke.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

By JOHN PORRETTO

Associated Press

Opposed by the rich Democratic elite of Massachusetts because it will spoil their view. No joke.

And yet, the same people rail against "Big Oil" ;)

Edited by Scott & Lai

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

knowing the kennedy family, they'd probably find a way to run into one in their car.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Timeline

that's what gets me. So many people say we need to stop relying on fossil fuels and find alternative energy sources. So then someone says "great, lets putup a wind farm!" and they all say "nooooooo, it'll ruin the view" :P

eejits

Same thing happened here in North Carolina. There was some grumbling about putting up a few wind farms and it was kyboshed because it'll ruin the view. :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As to spoiling the view - they do have a point. Wind farms look like something out of War of the Worlds.

Still you would think that environmental considerations should come before aesthetics.

The UK has huge wind farms in several areas around the country - there's a big one off the coast of Norfolk.

also, bad for the birds

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Wind mills have worked in Holland for "awhile".

Yeah a bit different trip tho but they definitely don't hurt the scenary!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Whatever happened to Tidal energy?

I would have thought that would be more efficient and reliable than wind turbines....?

I'm pretty sure that it is another source that would account for maybe 1% or less of energy output.

The truth is that power hungry America will never be primarily lit up with wind, hydro, or tidal power. The scale of America's power useage is too huge.

Reality trumps fantasy in this case.

Travel to the American West and see the trains hauling miles and miles of coal cars to the power plants. Those steam turbines can crank out huge volumes of electricity reliably...but they are filthy.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995