Mrs Thor

Filipino Teachers in USA

9 posts in this topic

Are there Filipino teachers here who teacher in America as a public school teacher? I know that recently a lot of Filipino teacher are hired to come and teach. Can anybody share their experiences?

I got my bachelor's degree in the Philippines and I had it evaluated to be at par with the American education standards. I also passed some tests such as CBEST, etc. I was wondering how hard was the adjustment to teach in a new culture and new environment? Even if we do speak English, Filipino English can be different than American English, so did this affect you to communicate and interact with your colleagues and students? Was the paperwork such as lesson planning or IEP making difficult and different? 

I hope someone could share some tips because even if I know I am qualified, I still sell my self short just because I don't have enough experience in teaching and I don't want my students and my colleagues to see that I am not capable to teach. I am also small and short (typical Filipino who looks like a teenager but is 27 years old already), so most people whom I met would think that I am very young like a highschool student. My voice is very soft that it's hard to know if I am taking a command. Definitely need to develop my confidence. Thank you for those who respond!

Filed: Timeline

Not a teacher, but the fast track to a job is to get a Special Ed credential. Look here: https://www.teachcalifornia.org/Steps/Special

Since you worry about the differences to American English, if you watch videos of the comedian Jokoy, you will see how he points out the Filipino accent pitfalls, like avoiding mispronouncing words and getting away from the more obvious Filipino sounds such as P/F V/B T/TH ER/AIR

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, Mrs Thor said:

Are there Filipino teachers here who teacher in America as a public school teacher? I know that recently a lot of Filipino teacher are hired to come and teach. Can anybody share their experiences?

I got my bachelor's degree in the Philippines and I had it evaluated to be at par with the American education standards. I also passed some tests such as CBEST, etc. I was wondering how hard was the adjustment to teach in a new culture and new environment? Even if we do speak English, Filipino English can be different than American English, so did this affect you to communicate and interact with your colleagues and students? Was the paperwork such as lesson planning or IEP making difficult and different? 

I hope someone could share some tips because even if I know I am qualified, I still sell my self short just because I don't have enough experience in teaching and I don't want my students and my colleagues to see that I am not capable to teach. I am also small and short (typical Filipino who looks like a teenager but is 27 years old already), so most people whom I met would think that I am very young like a highschool student. My voice is very soft that it's hard to know if I am taking a command. Definitely need to develop my confidence. Thank you for those who respond!

Omg! This is so me!! I am in the same shoes like you. I was a teacher in the Philippines too but I work in a nursing facility here in North California. I will send you a direct message so we can get in touch 😊

3 hours ago, Lucky_Mimi said:

Omg! This is so me!! I am in the same shoes like you. I was a teacher in the Philippines too but I work in a nursing facility here in North California. I will send you a direct message so we can get in touch 😊

omgg that means a lot to me! it's good to know i am not alone going through new things!

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Many Filipino teachers were directly hired from the Philippines. It is just far from where you are .Majority of the hiring is coming fro New Mexico. I actually think that you have an advantage as they were all hired using J-1 visa until it is adjusted. I heard that there are school from Texas as well that has a lot of vacancies. Best of Luck, NG

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline
On 3/29/2020 at 8:20 PM, nelmagriffin said:

Many Filipino teachers were directly hired from the Philippines. It is just far from where you are .Majority of the hiring is coming fro New Mexico. I actually think that you have an advantage as they were all hired using J-1 visa until it is adjusted. I heard that there are school from Texas as well that has a lot of vacancies. Best of Luck, NG

Where do you normally find their hiring vacancies so once can submit an application if coming from philppines?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I am not so sure with the name of the agency in Manila. but it may help you if you search via POEA and just make sure that is a true job with orders and not fake. Also with this pandemic it might change big time. as Trump is changing policies with regards to hiring from abroad. I can see 25 teachers for SPED are needed via POEA registered agency. "http://www.poea.gov.ph/cgi-bin/JobVacancies/PosJobsResult.asp"

• 1 month later...

Not a teacher, but I know someone who taught overseas and went through similar job hunting process. What I heard is it's essential to get a teaching license that qualifies you to teach in the US. There are some online programs (he used Teach Now). And once you get license to teach in one state, it's pretty easy to transfer it to other states in the US. Good luck!

2019-08-04   Got Married

--- Consullar Processing Stage ---

2020-01-22   Filed I-130 (Consullar Processing)

2020-02-20   Entered the US (originally just for a visit but got stuck in the US thanks to the travel ban)

2020-05-21   I-130 got approved

--- Adjustment of Status Stage ---

2020-06-02   Filed AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

2020-06-04   Delivered (PD on receipt)

2020-06-29   Check cashed, received receipt number via SMS

2020-07-08   Received RFIE

2020-07-16   Mailed reponse to RFIE

2020-07-22   Status shows they received response to RFIE

2020-08-31   Received biometrics appointment letter

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 8:31 PM, nelmagriffin said:

Hi, I am not so sure with the name of the agency in Manila. but it may help you if you search via POEA and just make sure that is a true job with orders and not fake. Also with this pandemic it might change big time. as Trump is changing policies with regards to hiring from abroad. I can see 25 teachers for SPED are needed via POEA registered agency. "http://www.poea.gov.ph/cgi-bin/JobVacancies/PosJobsResult.asp"

My dad was actually a Learning Disabled and Special Ed teacher in a high school in Michigan for 30 years.  Through my conversations with him, there is a reason why there are alot of openings for this.  It is probably the hardest teaching position one can take.  I think my only advice is if you do pursue one of these positions in the US, is to ask during the interview if you will be given a Teacher's Aide.  Teaching this subject can be incredibly difficult and depending on class size, may make it impossible without the property resources.  During the interview you need to also ask questions what the school district does to support these children and what support you will have from them.  If you do not have adequate support, you will get burned out very quickly.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.