J Laredo

short term Health-insurance for a spouse entering the US.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just tried to use the United Health Care that advertises on visa journey. I need a policy for my husband for a couple of weeks until January 1. They will not cover anybody that has not been in the United States for the past 12 months. So that’s crazy that they’re advertising when it’s not going to work for many people in this circumstance. Does anybody have any suggestions for a company that offers a short term catastrophic type policy? 

16 minutes ago, J Laredo said:

I just tried to use the United Health Care that advertises on visa journey. I need a policy for my husband for a couple of weeks until January 1. They will not cover anybody that has not been in the United States for the past 12 months. So that’s crazy that they’re advertising when it’s not going to work for many people in this circumstance. Does anybody have any suggestions for a company that offers a short term catastrophic type policy? 

The health insurance bill has been blocked by the courts so is no longer applicable.. but I’d still advise getting some form of health insurance just for your own peace of mind 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

32 minutes ago, J Laredo said:

Is it that you can't add him to your workplace plan until January 1?

Here is what we did:  my husband (then fiancé)  had a still-valid travel insurance policy when he flew here on the K-1 visa.  We got married 4 days later, and we were able to add him to my workplace plan 9 days after that.

It wasn't ideal, but we felt it was the best option to cover him for catastrophic for the two weeks before his coverage kicked in.

Btw, my husband's travel plan was one that he purchased in NZ.  I would look for Mexican plans for your husband.

Edited by Jorgedig

5 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

The health insurance bill has been blocked by the courts so is no longer applicable.. but I’d still advise getting some form of health insurance just for your own peace of mind 

Not just for peace of mind.  Insurance requirement aside, people become bankrupt from unpaid medical bills every day.  Just because US immigration isn't requiring proof of such at this time does not mean an immigrant wouldn't be responsible for medical bills.

17 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not just for peace of mind.  Insurance requirement aside, people become bankrupt from unpaid medical bills every day.  Just because US immigration isn't requiring proof of such at this time does not mean an immigrant wouldn't be responsible for medical bills.

I never said “not to get because not required”.. and peace of mind means; as a means of protection, both medically and financially.. 

unfortunaly not everyone is in the same situation such as yourself.. it’s easier for K1 than IR myself as an example will have to wait until May 2020 to be added to my husbands policy, and even then my coverage will not start for 30 days post being added...

IR visa don’t have the luxury of being added to policy within 3 months of getting married or we end up paying for coverage that we can’t use while, or insurers refuse or charge extra while I130 is processing and then some insurers don’t acknowledge moving to the USA as a life changing event..

plus immigration visa is just that, tourist insurance will not cover it, where as k1 is non immigration and is possibly acceptable for a few weeks

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Is it that you can't add him to your workplace plan until January 1?

Here is what we did:  my husband (then fiancé)  had a still-valid travel insurance policy when he flew here on the K-1 visa.  We got married 4 days later, and we were able to add him to my workplace plan 9 days after that.

It wasn't ideal, but we felt it was the best option to cover him for catastrophic for the two weeks before his coverage kicked in.

Btw, my husband's travel plan was one that he purchased in NZ.  I would look for Mexican plans for your husband.

Yes, my work will cover him starting the first of the month after he enters. I saw another post like yours about travel insurance. I use travel insurance a lot since I no longer work in Mexico so don’t have government healthcare but travel a lot to see him these past 3  years. 

I read somewhere on this forum that using travel insurance is not good if you are a permanent resident of the US. Meaning our new permanent residency people are not eligible and travel insurance won’t pay if they know you are not just “visiting.” I was tempted to try this anyway, but ***removed*** that advertises here appears to have good policies. I just talked to them and they told me “make sure you put in his home address as Mexico” so I guess it’s the same issue. You can’t sign them up and say they are residents of the US. ***removed*** has pretty low deductible, and pays at 100% after that, so I think I’ll go ahead with that. Specifically the Patriot Plan. They don’t bandage you up and send you back to your home country, I don’t think. 

I, too, am just concerned about the catastrophic. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I never said “not to get because not required”.. and peace of mind means; as a means of protection, both medically and financially.. 

unfortunaly not everyone is in the same situation such as yourself.. it’s easier for K1 than IR myself as an example will have to wait until May 2020 to be added to my husbands policy, and even then my coverage will not start for 30 days post being added...

IR visa don’t have the luxury of being added to policy within 3 months of getting married or we end up paying for coverage that we can’t use while, or insurers refuse or charge extra while I130 is processing and then some insurers don’t acknowledge moving to the USA as a life changing event

It isn’t a qualifying event on your,insurance? That stinks. It should be. I assumed it all was since mine is. West Virginia teachers don’t have the best, lol. 

1 minute ago, J Laredo said:

It isn’t a qualifying event on your,insurance? That stinks. It should be. I assumed it all was since mine is. West Virginia teachers don’t have the best, lol. 

My husband is with the US Coast Guard... we though life changing even would cover it.. but nope.. gotta wait unfortunately 

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

9 minutes ago, J Laredo said:

Yes, my work will cover him starting the first of the month after he enters. I saw another post like yours about travel insurance. I use travel insurance a lot since I no longer work in Mexico so don’t have government healthcare but travel a lot to see him these past 3  years. 

I read somewhere on this forum that using travel insurance is not good if you are a permanent resident of the US. Meaning our new permanent residency people are not eligible and travel insurance won’t pay if they know you are not just “visiting.” I was tempted to try this anyway, but ***removed*** that advertises here appears to have good policies. I just talked to them and they told me “make sure you put in his home address as Mexico” so I guess it’s the same issue. You can’t sign them up and say they are residents of the US. ***removed*** has pretty low deductible, and pays at 100% after that, so I think I’ll go ahead with that. Specifically the Patriot Plan. They don’t bandage you up and send you back to your home country, I don’t think. 

I, too, am just concerned about the catastrophic. 

That was my rationale also.  If anything, you could get a plan that would pay for an airlift back to Mexico (god forbid, but that is just what insurance is for) during the weeks before he is covered on your plan.

5 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

My husband is with the US Coast Guard... we though life changing even would cover it.. but nope.. gotta wait unfortunately 

Wow, so you don't have health insurance at all?

4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Wow, so you don't have health insurance at all?

Not in the States no, I’m still within Australia, and will have my Aussie insurer cover me once I relocate until my husbands insurance kicks in... 

like KE I said before, it’s not as simple as add within a few days of marriage were 14 months into the process.. and it’s not financially viable to of been added last April 2018 when we got married

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

1 minute ago, Duke & Marie said:

Not in the States no, I’m still within Australia, and will have my Aussie insurer cover me once I relocate until my husbands insurance kicks in... 

Oh, they will?  I've never heard of that.  Great if it works.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

Oh, they will?  I've never heard of that.  Great if it works.

They will, but it not cheap... but cheaper than buying a policy there 😂

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

They will, but it not cheap... but cheaper than buying a policy there 😂

I hear ya!  My kiwi is still trying to make heads or tails of our system, a year in. He has some pre-existing chronic stuff going on, so it is lucky that we both have excellent workplace coverage.  If that was not the case, we might consider moving back to NZ.  

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

I hear ya!  My kiwi is still trying to make heads or tails of our system, a year in. He has some pre-existing chronic stuff going on, so it is lucky that we both have excellent workplace coverage.  If that was not the case, we might consider moving back to NZ.  

Here like NZ. It’s uncommon for employer to provide health insurance.. usually it’s just military type people.. we have to purchase our own insurance, so it dosent matter if I leave my employer, I just modify my policy to show which country I’m in.. 

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

Here like NZ. It’s uncommon for employer to provide health insurance.. usually it’s just military type people.. we have to purchase our own insurance, so it dosent matter if I leave my employer, I just modify my policy to show which country I’m in.. 

It is strange that a military spouse moving to the states is not a qualifying event.....   seems wrong.  That must be a very common occurrence. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.