sierradani

K1 Police Certificate (Mexico)

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, my fiance is from Mexico and has lived in 4 different states (in Mexico) since he was 16. We are trying to do research on how to get police certificates there but honestly we are so confused. If someone that has done this can chime in on how the process works, it would be super helpful.

I have read that you obtain a certificate from the state or if it's not available from the state you get the federal one. My fiance read that he can't get a state one in Nuevo Leon so he would have to get the federal one. Would he still have to get the other state ones if he already has to get the federal? He read that he would have to travel to all of the states physically to obtain them. Is this true? That would be so complicated :(

I am hoping the single federal police certificate will suffice.

Thanks so much for any help you all can provide.

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline:

April 15, 2023 Mailed via USPS

April 17, 2023 Delivered by USPS

April 20, 2023 Received text message with case number (IOE)

April 22, 2023 Case status updated to "My Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS"

April 27, 2023 Received two letters 1) Notice to set up online account 2) Notice that Biometrics will be reused

May 01, 2023 Received 48-month extension letter

9 minutes ago, sierradani said:

Hey guys, my fiance is from Mexico and has lived in 4 different states (in Mexico) since he was 16. We are trying to do research on how to get police certificates there but honestly we are so confused. If someone that has done this can chime in on how the process works, it would be super helpful.

I have read that you obtain a certificate from the state or if it's not available from the state you get the federal one. My fiance read that he can't get a state one in Nuevo Leon so he would have to get the federal one. Would he still have to get the other state ones if he already has to get the federal? He read that he would have to travel to all of the states physically to obtain them. Is this true? That would be so complicated :(

I am hoping the single federal police certificate will suffice.

Thanks so much for any help you all can provide.

The requirement are for each country, not each state... the federal one is the one he needs.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

travel.state.gov says 

"In Mexico police certificates are only available for applicants 18 and over.  A police certificate from every state in Mexico is generally not required for an IV application. A single police certificate is sufficient.  Only when an IV applicant has lived in Mexico for six months or more and after the age of 18 is a police certificate required.

However, consular officers may request a state police certificate where an individual was resident for more than six (months) on a case by cases basis."

I guess I should clarify my question.  How does one obtain the state certificates if requested? Do we need to physically travel to each state?

April 22, 2023 Case status updated to "My Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS"

April 27, 2023 Received two letters 1) Notice to set up online account 2) Notice that Biometrics will be reused

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, sierradani said:

travel.state.gov says 

"In Mexico police certificates are only available for applicants 18 and over.  A police certificate from every state in Mexico is generally not required for an IV application. A single police certificate is sufficient.  Only when an IV applicant has lived in Mexico for six months or more and after the age of 18 is a police certificate required.

However, consular officers may request a state police certificate where an individual was resident for more than six (months) on a case by cases basis."

I guess I should clarify my question.  How does one obtain the state certificates if requested? Do we need to physically travel to each state?

He only needs a police certificate after he turned18, not 16 as your original comment mentions; Make it the Federal one. That will cover the requirement.

If you want peace of mind by covering all the bases, go to every state that he lived in for at least 6 months after he turned 18, and request one. If he cannot get it from each state, at least document the fact that he couldn't get it, and include that with a signed affidavit saying so; That way, in the unlikely event that the consular officers insist on the certificates, he can show that he tried to get them, but was unsuccessful; And yes, if he wants to request one from every state, he needs to actually go to very state, as those certificates are normally requested in person.

But honestly, you're reading too much into this. One federal certificate is adequate, especially if it shows a clean record.

Buena Suerte!

Edited by Ramsep
clarity.

20 hours ago, Ramsep said:

Buena Suerte!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, seriously, I really appreciate it.  We decided that we'll just get the certificate from the current state and the federal one.  We won't worry about the other states. Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, sierradani said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, seriously, I really appreciate it.  We decided that we'll just get the certificate from the current state and the federal one.  We won't worry about the other states. Thanks again!

You're welcome. Please take a look at the Ciudad Juarez's consulate review. You'll find plenty of reviews that will help getting you and your fiancée into the interview mindset.

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Mexico

• 9 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 12/14/2019 at 12:59 PM, sierradani said:

Hi - just wondering how this worked out in the end?  Was the federal one sufficient?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
11 hours ago, werdna said:

Hi - just wondering how this worked out in the end?  Was the federal one sufficient?

I also asked in private to trigger a notification and sierradani kindly replied:

"Yes, he just got the federal one and it was accepted without a problem"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.