NoMansLand2020

Petitioner with criminal record

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How much weight does having a criminal record have when petitioning a fiance?  I have three misdemeanor convictions from 15 years ago. None of them are any of the specific listed crimes on the I-129F.  Restitution was made for all and none involved serving any jail time. By the way, I hold an active TS Security Clearance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I would guess for misdemeanors, very little to no impact.

From what I understand USCIS is interested in violent crime like domestic abuse, which would obviously be of interest to your fiance you are petitioning for.  

They make all your criminal information available to your fiancee, btw, so disclose everything on the petition even if the arrest resulted in non-conviction.  It will come up in a background check anyways, so be upfront.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

to add on.. you need CERTIFIED COPIES OF EVERYTHING available at the court house and police station.   Certified copy means INK stamped and with clerk Ink signature.  Disposition records, search findings ( no records found is also a result you can get clerk to stamp), arrest records etc.  Any email or pdf is not a certified copy.. that is a copy.    Do not forget or miss item, as at the interview, they have access to FBI database and will either ask you for proof or say you did not disclose.  Heavy load the front for this area please.

Edited by flfreddy

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

get copies of the court records/dispositions and be honest and it will be fine. I have old records from being young and dumb and it did not cause any issues or delays

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

18 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

get copies of the court records/dispositions and be honest and it will be fine. I have old records from being young and dumb and it did not cause any issues or delays

Hi, I am the petitioner filing a I-129f form for the k-1 visa. I was charged but never convicted of 2 felonies and 1 misdemeanor when I was 15 years old of crimes not specified on the I-129f form. In part 3 question 4.a I answered yes, and in question 4.b explained the nature of the crimes. I have obtained copies of the court records for this case which was eventually dismissed. There are 20 total pages, which is considered 14 separate documents. Each document costs $25 to certify. Most of the documents in the files are rescheduling of court dates. Do I need to include all 14 documents? Do all 14 documents need to be certified? and if not, can I certify the original petition of the counts(charges) and the outcome. Would that be sufficient?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 hours ago, flfreddy said:

to add on.. you need CERTIFIED COPIES OF EVERYTHING available at the court house and police station.   Certified copy means INK stamped and with clerk Ink signature.  Disposition records, search findings ( no records found is also a result you can get clerk to stamp), arrest records etc.  Any email or pdf is not a certified copy.. that is a copy.    Do not forget or miss item, as at the interview, they have access to FBI database and will either ask you for proof or say you did not disclose.  Heavy load the front for this area please.

I just got certified copies from the states where the arrests occurred. I understand I need to disclose it. Same thing I had to do when I was undergoing extensive background check for my clearance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, kingpups said:

Hi, I am the petitioner filing a I-129f form for the k-1 visa. I was charged but never convicted of 2 felonies and 1 misdemeanor when I was 15 years old of crimes not specified on the I-129f form. In part 3 question 4.a I answered yes, and in question 4.b explained the nature of the crimes. I have obtained copies of the court records for this case which was eventually dismissed. There are 20 total pages, which is considered 14 separate documents. Each document costs $25 to certify. Most of the documents in the files are rescheduling of court dates. Do I need to include all 14 documents? Do all 14 documents need to be certified? and if not, can I certify the original petition of the counts(charges) and the outcome. Would that be sufficient?

I think they just want disposition court documents.   Like eg:  court found you innocent, guilty , sentence you to... etc those kind.

Police too.  arrest date and discharge date type.    Documents that matter in other words... use discretion.

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.