nick050183

List of documents required for I-129 form.

9 posts in this topic

I'm trying to put together a list of documents I will need to submit the I-129 form. Particularly what documents I need FROM HER. And if any of the documents need to be notarized.

Here's what I got so far

From Me:
1) Proof of Citizenship. I have naturalization certificate (that is not in the greatest condition) and US passport. I don't have a birth certificate as I was born in Russia and became naturalized after I came here.

2) Death Certificate of previous wife.

3) Passport Style color photograph taken in the last 30 days

4) Evidence of our relationship. Whatsapp messages and pictures from our meetings. We plan on vacationing in the Dominican Republic in 12 days. But we also have some pictures from when we met earlier in Kiev. Most of our correspondence is on Whatsapp with daily communication. It is in Russian. I will need to translate it.

One thing is I wrote Russian using English letters. Because I am not very fast with the Cyrillic alphabet. 

5) Letter stating an intent to marry her within the timeframe specified by the visa.

6) Copy of her passport. Translated? Notarized?

From Her:

1) Passport style color photograph.

2) Letter stating an intent to marry me within the timeframe specified by the visa. (THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE NOTARIZED??)

She will need more documents for the interview. But right now I'm just trying to compile what we need for the form. Because we will be meeting soon its a good idea we get it done now so she can just give me the documents.

Did I miss anything important? 

Thank you. 

Hello,

The letter stating to intent to marry  does not need to be notarized. Just make sure it is signed 

For Prove of relationship If you have any airline tickets, western union transactions, copy of passport showing you guys visit each other. and make sure you send a personal check so you can track it. I did a cover letter its optional but it is just easier you can find it on here just add your information. However you have everything you need.

Good Luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, nick050183 said:

I'm trying to put together a list of documents I will need to submit the I-129 form. Particularly what documents I need FROM HER. And if any of the documents need to be notarized.

Here's what I got so far

From Me:
1) Proof of Citizenship. I have naturalization certificate (that is not in the greatest condition) and US passport. I don't have a birth certificate as I was born in Russia and became naturalized after I came here.

4) Evidence of our relationship. Whatsapp messages and pictures from our meetings. We plan on vacationing in the Dominican Republic in 12 days. But we also have some pictures from when we met earlier in Kiev. Most of our correspondence is on Whatsapp with daily communication. It is in Russian. I will need to translate it.

One thing is I wrote Russian using English letters. Because I am not very fast with the Cyrillic alphabet. 

5) Letter stating an intent to marry her within the timeframe specified by the visa.

From Her:

2) Letter stating an intent to marry me within the timeframe specified by the visa. (THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE NOTARIZED??)

She will need more documents for the interview. But right now I'm just trying to compile what we need for the form. Because we will be meeting soon its a good idea we get it done now so she can just give me the documents.

Thank you. 

4) they are not looking for WhatsApp messages. 

Writing in Roman alphabet the transliteration of cryllic alphabet doesn't fulfill the requirement.   Have her write it and you copy,  paste to the form 

6)  her passport not required unless it is being used for proof of meeting 

Read the instructions carefully,  interpret literally.   Do not add or subtract words or change punctuation from what is written.  With that said, where in the instructions does it say anything about notarized documents?  Or did you simply add that requirement yourself?

YMMV

27 minutes ago, payxibka said:

4) they are not looking for WhatsApp messages. 

Writing in Roman alphabet the transliteration of cryllic alphabet doesn't fulfill the requirement.   Have her write it and you copy,  paste to the form 

6)  her passport not required unless it is being used for proof of meeting 

Read the instructions carefully,  interpret literally.   Do not add or subtract words or change punctuation from what is written.  With that said, where in the instructions does it say anything about notarized documents?  Or did you simply add that requirement yourself?

I was under the impression they would want to see our correspondence. I saw some video where another couple printed copies of their conversations. They had to translate the messages.

Is this no longer recommended?

Edited by nick050183

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, nick050183 said:

I was under the impression they would want to see our correspondence. I saw some video where another couple printed copies of their conversations. They had to translate the messages.

Is this no longer recommended?

Urban legend.  Never has been a requirement for the uscis.   

However,  if you choose to submit such unneeded information in a language other than English,  it requires a translation. 

Total waste of time and energy 

YMMV

You cannot “prove” a relationship, nor are you being asked to do so. You must prove that you met face-to-face in the last two years prior to filing. 

USCIS doesn’t employ mind readers - that’s the only way that they could know whether your and her intentions are genuine. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

For my evidence i provided to them with

my watsappp messages when we started up until that month i was sending my paperwork I just screen shot the chats phone calls and the media on whatsapp

my airline tickets when I visit 

i made copies of my passport that was stamped when i visited

pictures of us together 

letters he wrote me

any western union transactions

Sending your whatsapp messages is prove that you guys communicate because it have the dates

the more prove you send about your relationship is better. 

I got Approve without them asking to me to send any other info 

PS All evidence  you send make sure you make copies because you need those same evidence for the interview 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, nick050183 said:

I highly recommend spending time with the guides on this site and info in the forums. This one (K1 Fiance Visa Step-by-Step Guide on Filing an I-129F for a Foreign Fiance) covers this stuff pretty well. I don't believe anything at this stage (the filing of the I-129F) needs to be notarized, I didn't notarize anything on our I-129F.

11 hours ago, nick050183 said:

4) Evidence of our relationship.

Just to clarify, for the I-129F they ask for Evidence of In-Person Meeting, not "proof of relationship." Later in the process (getting the greencard) you'll do a separate, different "proof of relationship" exercise.

The in-person meeting bit is on the I-129F form - Part 2, Question 53, "Have you and your fiancé(e) met in person during the two years immediately before filing this petition?" and then question 54 gives you 5 lines to describe it.

I used the guide here on VisaJourney (here's that link again) to prep everything. On line 54 I wrote a short description but then put SEE ATTACHED, and created a separate document that was included in the I-129F I submitted.  I just followed the guide, and made a cover page with a brief description, and then wrote out details of our two most recent in person visits, and on the subsequent pages, put photos and captions from those in person visits.  This was a word document that totaled 5 pages, and then I also attached as much documentation as I could as part of this packet - boarding passes, receipts from tours we went on, hotel bookings (thanks to reading up on this site, I made a point of putting BOTH our names on the hotel reservations so they would appear on the receipts/folios).

Hope that helps! Best of luck, it truly is a journey... a long one for sure, take a lot of patience and research but this website is a tremendous resource.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/30/2019 at 9:07 AM, nick050183 said:

Here's what I got so far

From Me:

From Her:

Thank you. 

I don't think you need the messages from Whatsapp. Maybe later down the road.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.