5 posts in this topic

I filed my 751 - Removal Of Conditions - on August 1. I actually cried when I found out it can take up to 15 months - I figured it would all be set for New Year. I'm in a bad marriage and looking to leave ASAP. I figure I just have to clear this last hurdle and I'm free - I have my Permanent Residency, he can't touch me, he can't do anything to me. The thought of having to endure this for another year is unbearable. But I know if I leave now A) I have to file waivers B) the waivers only add to the length of proceedings C) I have to actually divorce him to include the papers with the waiver D) he's vindictive and going to try and have me deported as soon as I serve him E) I could lose my Residency with or without him out to get me because my Residency was because of our marriage. I don't want to lose my whole life - when I could endure another 12-15 months and be free. But things are going from bad to worse. I KNOW I'm in an abusive relationship - the only thing he hasn't done is directly hit me - he's hurt people around me though. But I can't prove anything that he does to me. He's now completely isolated me - I mean, if I'm not at work, I'm in the house. And he takes me to and from work. And comes come from his work at lunch when I'm not at work so as he can check up on me. I have no friends and no contact with anyone. I don't even have a phone. Everything I say or do is wrong. At work, I can pretend everything is fine - they know I'm married. I have people to talk to, mess around with, be 'normal' with. Now I don't know if I have a job or not because last night was spectacular. I work in a hotel and one of my colleagues was innocently messing around as I was leaving my shift - but he was waiting right outside and saw. He stormed inside the lobby, tried to hit him, screamed racial slurs at him, called me his property, then dragged me out. Obviously everyone I work with watched with jaws open - never mind the hotel guests. I figure I'm fired the moment I walk back in - I'm scheduled to work tomorrow. Regardless, I'm so shocked appalled and ashamed that I don't ever want to walk back in. I have no idea what to do - in any sense. Everything is telling me this morning: its time to leave. But here we go: A) my immigration status and everything above B) I don't even have a car - I don't drive - so how CAN I leave? and I have a dog and she's all I have so forget the clothes and nonsense but I can't leave without her C) I don't think I even have a job now but it's low-paid anyway so with no income how I can afford a rent? I'm exhausted - and open to suggestions. I mean, I just don't know what to do any more.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can leave and divorce, it is still going to take the same amount of time to ROC with a divorce waiver, but you are now able to live your life.  Call a local domestic violence shelter for support.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Marriage counseling.  Whether it helps you avoid divorce until your ROC is processed or not, the fact that you pursued it and documented the problems and attempts to fix them will DEFINITELY help your case if you must file with a divorce waiver.

The divorce waiver requires that you prove you had "no fault" for failing to meet the joint filing requirement, in addition to proving your intent at the time of marriage was to establish a life with your husband.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

leave. NOW. If you do not have friends you can stay with, got to a womens shelter.

File a protective order with the police. Get statements from the employees at the hotel who witnessed this and make sure the police have them. Follow through with charges and prosecution.

File the waivers.

You will be fine, legally. You have witnesses, which is far more than most have. And more than likely, your job will be fine. My ex did something similar and my jobs ONLY concern was FOR ME.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

I got divorced while I was in the ROC. All I had to do was get my divorce decree and send it to USCIS after my divorce was final. They approved my application, it did not delayed anything. I don't know if he ever contacted immigration, he said he did (he was abusive too) but immigration did not tell me anything regrading that. I had enough evidence of marriage and I think they can realize when a bitter abusive ex is trying to damage you. 

If I were you I would get divorced, you still have the same chance at getting your green card as long as you have proof of marriage. USCIS knows that not all marriages work, and as long as you did not commit fraud, you should be fine. 

AOS:

Sent AOS Package: Feb 2014

Received Green Card: September 2014

ROC:

Sent ROC Package: Sep 2016

Approved: Feb 2018 

N400:

Filed: 7/9/19 online

Bios: 7/29/19

Interview: 12/10/19

Oath: 01/07/2020

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.