Sunshine2018

Filed ROC with abuse waiver, then divorce finalized before interview

4 posts in this topic

I filed I -751 ROC in Sept 2017 alone due to abuse. I separated from my husband after a year of being with him. He completely changed 380 degrees, and made verbal threats against me to report to immigration even if I didn’t do something wrong. For these reasons. I hired an immigration lawyer.
i submitted all proofs of bonafide marriage starting from the time we were married in my country. I worked hard to support myself without depending on him after the separation. I had no psychological reports of abuse because I barely had money that time. I only had church support, prayers, and affidavits from friends.After almost a year of separation,I filed for divorce and it was approved. 
I had a lawyer who helped me with the filing of ROC and when I was called for interview, I handed the final divorce decree to the officer.

My question is, at the time of filing of ROC papers, everything was based on emotional abuse. Then, my papers were not updated using divorce waiver by my lawyer. I handed the final divorce paper to the officer.Will USCIS update my status to divorce waiver?

we both entered marriage in good faith and my ex husband promised to me and my family he would never hurt me. But things changed.

I am patiently waiting since June 2019. Any experiences past 120 days since the interview?

Are they following the timelines based on receipt of cases in the local offices? 

Filed: Timeline

How did the interview go? Did you get any RFEs before the interview or any thing after? The thing is you can file under multiple waiver reasons. But for each waiver type you select you have to prove it. For divorce you only need to show divorce decree and bonafide marriage. For abuse you need to show bonafide marriage and abuse. Often when someone selects abuse waiver if they dont have enough proof of abuse USCIS will allow them to switch to a divorce waiver or drop the abuse waiver if it was filed under divorce + abuse. So was there any mention in the interview about you not having enough abuse proof and switching you to just a divorce waiver? For emotional abuse you would ideally want to show a psych eval and medications with a diagnosis of ptsd, severe anxiety/major depression and of course your own statement.... Typically you would get an RFE before any interview that is multiple pages explaining what you can send for proof of abuse, so if you didnt get that RFE Im inclined to think your proof of abuse is OK. At this point you can contact your congressperson for an update since its been 120 days. You can also try to get an infopass and see if they have any info about whats going on. 

Hi, the interview went well. No RFE was requested prior and after the interview. Nothing was mentioned in the interview about lack of evidence.
Basically, I survived all of the torment by prayers and courage enough to get out of that place. I did not have money to ask for psychological help or evaluation at that time.I did not resort to anti depressants as I did not want to depend on those medications. I survived and was able to get back on my feet again by working hard to support myself after that and focused on work to divert the pain. Slowly, I got over it.The healing took a while..
I have lots of evidence about bonafide marriage. It is just that things went from normal to worse that I had to move out for my sanity and peace of mind. This situation made me a stronger person and motivated me to work harder to forget everything.

What I have right now is a stamp on my passport allowing me to work and travel for another year while patiently waiting.

Thank you for your reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How did you evidence abuse?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.