thestankers

L1-B Visa & New York Paid Family Leave

5 posts in this topic

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there,

Tried searching but nothing came up.

I am on L1-B visa adjusting status through C9 category, PD July 15th 2019. I transferred with work but knew the role I was accepting was multiple steps back because i wanted to move to the US to be with my wife. We now have a newborn (yay!). I am at the stage now where i have a new job offer and i am unhappy at work, with the newborn i am also not willing anymore to spend more than 12 hours away from home for a job which doesn't do anything for me anymore (3.5 hour commute per day, no career prospects)

I want to get thoughts on an adjusting L1-B visa taking New York Family Leave (essentially 10 weeks off at 55% pay) and any potential implications this could have around the process. From what i've read, the New York Paid Family leave applies to any worker in the NY state (eg. US Citizens + Anyone else under private employment). I am currently expediting my EAD & job offer and hope to have this within the next 4 weeks (I hope!) and was planning on taking this time off now while i can and resign once everything clears from an immigration perspective. I would then start new role after some decent time off. I am also interested to understand what happens when L1-B gets an EAD and how that affects international travel arrangements once I start at the new company (i assume this prevents L1-B status being used, therefore need AP approval?..If so, then how do i ensure AP is approved before Xmas?)

Would love to get some generic thoughts, or any potential watchouts with my plan.

Cheers

thestankers

Edited by thestankers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you expedite AP?

You have a job so wonder what the EAD expedite was for.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Did you expedite AP?

You have a job so wonder what the EAD expedite was for.

Hi Boiler

No - is there a separate process to expedite AP?

New job offer is about a 100% increase in compensation, factor that with medical costs and increased expenses of a newborn and wife being on maternity then it makes a pretty good case in my opinion, especially when you think of NYC cost of living.

Do you see an issue with this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you need AP expedited then yes you need to apply for it but then a L is dual intent so not sure how you would justify that.

As a general comment I am always in favour of expediting, in this particular situation your application differs form the norm as it assumes an increase in salary.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, thank you for your post and please keep us updated. I also would like to accept nys paid family leave and am in the midst of immigrating. Many thanks

Edited by fs2439

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.