Jump to content
ahsan556

if offered to take the oath same day can i request to take it later?

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

 

I have a situation where my citizenship interview is scheduled for 17th December and it is at Newark,NJ office which offers same day oath ceremony. The problem is i had planned to travel outside US on 18th December so if i take the oath i won't have enough time to get a passport. 

 

So is it possible to have the interview done on 17th December and if its approved and i am offered to take oath the same day, i can request a later date?. 

 

If anyone went through a similar experience or know if that's possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ahsan556 said:

Hello everyone!

 

I have a situation where my citizenship interview is scheduled for 17th December and it is at Newark,NJ office which offers same day oath ceremony. The problem is i had planned to travel outside US on 18th December so if i take the oath i won't have enough time to get a passport. 

 

So is it possible to have the interview done on 17th December and if its approved and i am offered to take oath the same day, i can request a later date?. 

 

If anyone went through a similar experience or know if that's possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks! 

I was offered a specific date (not same day) and the option to be put back in the queue for later scheduling, but this was Boston not Newark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ahsan556 said:

So is it possible to have the interview done on 17th December and if its approved and i am offered to take oath the same day, i can request a later date?. 

Yes, absolutely. Taking the oath is voluntary. What's the alternative? They'll put you on a choke-hold and yell "You must take the oath today"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, absolutely. Taking the oath is voluntary. What's the alternative? They'll put you on a choke-hold and yell "You must take the oath today"?

I think the question is whether they'd have to start the process over. The answer is no. However, the officer seemed not pleased at my question on whether it had to do it that specific day, and implied they might schedule me far in the future if I refused. It's a fair question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

I think the question is whether they'd have to start the process over. The answer is no. However, the officer seemed not pleased at my question on whether it had to do it that specific day, and implied they might schedule me far in the future if I refused. It's a fair question.

Thanks! Exactly what i was wondering if like it will be like a formal process or just an option i can say no, to schedule me later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:13 AM, ahsan556 said:

Thanks! Exactly what i was wondering if like it will be like a formal process or just an option i can say no, to schedule me later.

I would jump at an offer of same day oath without blinking an eye irrespective of whatever trip.

The trip you are making has already been planned and travel documents secured. I am guessing your GC and Pakistani Passport are good.

So what does US passport have to do with the trip?

Just take the oath and be done and go on your already planned trip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stevo1979 said:

I would jump at an offer of same day oath without blinking an eye irrespective of whatever trip.

The trip you are making has already been planned and travel documents secured. I am guessing your GC and Pakistani Passport are good.

So what does US passport have to do with the trip?

Just take the oath and be done and go on your already planned trip

??!?!!

 

They take your GC at the ceremony, what's he supposed to use when he comes back to the US? Not to mention US citizens are legally required to present their US passports when entering the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

??!?!!

 

They take your GC at the ceremony, what's he supposed to use when he comes back to the US? Not to mention US citizens are legally required to present their US passports when entering the country.

Get a visa on passport and go wherever. I bet he might not need one he may be going to his home country, then go to the US Embassy present your certificate and return to USA

SIMPLE AS ABC

 

Not necessarily required there are many ways to bypass that in the face of ''emergency" I have done it with my kids while overseas

Edited by Stevo1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stevo1979 said:

Get a visa on passport and go wherever. I bet he might not need one he may be going to his home country, then go to the US Embassy present your certificate and return to USA

SIMPLE AS ABC

And what are you supposed to present to the airline before boarding the flight? Or CBP after landing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

And what are you supposed to present to the airline before boarding the flight? Or CBP after landing?

If inbound Passport of native country plus naturalization certificate and document provided at the consulate

 

In the case of one of my kids we presented her passport from my home Country (Italy) ,her birth certificate and the doc provided by consulate and we were allowed to enter the USA

 

I just cannot remember the name of that document and if the consulate still issues it

Edited by Stevo1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was the OP I will take the oath if offered same day

 

Depending on time the oath will be concluded and the outbound flight the next day.

 

You can get a same-day expedited passport for $449 if that serious and doesn't wanna go through all the hassle at the consulate

Not a bad option to me

Edited by Stevo1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 9:45 AM, ahsan556 said:

Hello everyone!

 

I have a situation where my citizenship interview is scheduled for 17th December and it is at Newark,NJ office which offers same day oath ceremony. The problem is i had planned to travel outside US on 18th December so if i take the oath i won't have enough time to get a passport. 

 

So is it possible to have the interview done on 17th December and if its approved and i am offered to take oath the same day, i can request a later date?. 

 

If anyone went through a similar experience or know if that's possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks! 

I think you should at least check out the NY Passport Agency. Check its newer Google Reviews. Seems like some people got their passport the same day or the next day....this might work for you unless your interview appt is mid afternoon and your flight is early the next morning.

 

 

Edited by xyz12345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...