ahsan556

if offered to take the oath same day can i request to take it later?

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I have a situation where my citizenship interview is scheduled for 17th December and it is at Newark,NJ office which offers same day oath ceremony. The problem is i had planned to travel outside US on 18th December so if i take the oath i won't have enough time to get a passport. 

So is it possible to have the interview done on 17th December and if its approved and i am offered to take oath the same day, i can request a later date?. 

If anyone went through a similar experience or know if that's possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, ahsan556 said:

Hello everyone!

I have a situation where my citizenship interview is scheduled for 17th December and it is at Newark,NJ office which offers same day oath ceremony. The problem is i had planned to travel outside US on 18th December so if i take the oath i won't have enough time to get a passport. 

So is it possible to have the interview done on 17th December and if its approved and i am offered to take oath the same day, i can request a later date?. 

If anyone went through a similar experience or know if that's possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

I was offered a specific date (not same day) and the option to be put back in the queue for later scheduling, but this was Boston not Newark.

11 minutes ago, ahsan556 said:

Yes, absolutely. Taking the oath is voluntary. What's the alternative? They'll put you on a choke-hold and yell "You must take the oath today"?

4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, absolutely. Taking the oath is voluntary. What's the alternative? They'll put you on a choke-hold and yell "You must take the oath today"?

I think the question is whether they'd have to start the process over. The answer is no. However, the officer seemed not pleased at my question on whether it had to do it that specific day, and implied they might schedule me far in the future if I refused. It's a fair question.

6 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

I think the question is whether they'd have to start the process over. The answer is no. However, the officer seemed not pleased at my question on whether it had to do it that specific day, and implied they might schedule me far in the future if I refused. It's a fair question.

Thanks! Exactly what i was wondering if like it will be like a formal process or just an option i can say no, to schedule me later.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:13 AM, ahsan556 said:

Thanks! Exactly what i was wondering if like it will be like a formal process or just an option i can say no, to schedule me later.

I would jump at an offer of same day oath without blinking an eye irrespective of whatever trip.

The trip you are making has already been planned and travel documents secured. I am guessing your GC and Pakistani Passport are good.

So what does US passport have to do with the trip?

Just take the oath and be done and go on your already planned trip

22 minutes ago, Stevo1979 said:

I would jump at an offer of same day oath without blinking an eye irrespective of whatever trip.

The trip you are making has already been planned and travel documents secured. I am guessing your GC and Pakistani Passport are good.

So what does US passport have to do with the trip?

Just take the oath and be done and go on your already planned trip

??!?!!

They take your GC at the ceremony, what's he supposed to use when he comes back to the US? Not to mention US citizens are legally required to present their US passports when entering the country.

3 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

??!?!!

They take your GC at the ceremony, what's he supposed to use when he comes back to the US? Not to mention US citizens are legally required to present their US passports when entering the country.

Get a visa on passport and go wherever. I bet he might not need one he may be going to his home country, then go to the US Embassy present your certificate and return to USA

SIMPLE AS ABC

Not necessarily required there are many ways to bypass that in the face of ''emergency" I have done it with my kids while overseas

Edited by Stevo1979

2 minutes ago, Stevo1979 said:

Get a visa on passport and go wherever. I bet he might not need one he may be going to his home country, then go to the US Embassy present your certificate and return to USA

SIMPLE AS ABC

And what are you supposed to present to the airline before boarding the flight? Or CBP after landing?

4 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

And what are you supposed to present to the airline before boarding the flight? Or CBP after landing?

If inbound Passport of native country plus naturalization certificate and document provided at the consulate

In the case of one of my kids we presented her passport from my home Country (Italy) ,her birth certificate and the doc provided by consulate and we were allowed to enter the USA

I just cannot remember the name of that document and if the consulate still issues it

Edited by Stevo1979

If I was the OP I will take the oath if offered same day

Depending on time the oath will be concluded and the outbound flight the next day.

You can get a same-day expedited passport for $449 if that serious and doesn't wanna go through all the hassle at the consulate

Not a bad option to me

Edited by Stevo1979

On 11/5/2019 at 9:45 AM, ahsan556 said:

Hello everyone!

Thanks! 

I think you should at least check out the NY Passport Agency. Check its newer Google Reviews. Seems like some people got their passport the same day or the next day....this might work for you unless your interview appt is mid afternoon and your flight is early the next morning.

Edited by xyz12345

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.