slim

AOS Interview Complete

57 posts in this topic

Went to the AOS interview this morning. Felt pretty prepared from all the great tips here on VJ and things went pretty well. When we were finished, the officer said she had some more paperwork to do on her end, and she'd submit our case for final approval. She said it looked like everything was in order for an approval and we'd know in a couple weeks. I asked if there was anything else we could do or any forms we needed to submit (I knew VJ didn't let me forget any forms!) and she said no, but they'd contact us if anything was needed. She added that there were several cases on her desk for that day so she couldn't complete ours right away, but would later today and then send it on.

So, I guess we're good? She didn't say it was denied or there would be anything that would cause problems, so I guess that's good. I was under the impression that they either approved or denied (or requested more info) on the spot. Maybe it's the new process or something? Not sure. Anyone have a similar experience?

And to all those preparing for upcoming interviews, don't sweat it too much. I didn't walk out with a "bad" feeling, just not satisfaction at instant approval. She said it should be approved, just couldn't be done right away.

The only things that really happened inside the interview were she asked my wife several questions (name, address, parents' names, and a few of the "are you a communist, druggie, terrorist, prostitute, criminal, etc. questions from the form) and then reviewed a few more documents from the packet. She asked about jobs (I'm at the same job, Elena just started work yesterday at a little restaurant up the street) and when we got married (I actually said the wrong date, if that doesn't prove it's a real relationship, I don't know what does!) if we have any kids, ex-spouses, other marriages, etc. Then she asked how we first met, how long we've been together, etc. The only "evidence" she requested was in relation to "anything changed since your submission, or anything you want to add to your file?" We gave a few photos from the wedding and a copy of our rental agreement and health/life insurance forms. She didn't actually ask to see anything specific, adding "I have everything I need here for approval, just need to do some more paperwork on my end, then forward it on for final approval."

So, update in a few weeks? I'll let you guys know how it went. Wish I had an "AOS APPROVED, Green Card on the Way!" post for you, but maybe in a few weeks we'll have it. Good luck to all of you!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
So, I guess we're good? She didn't say it was denied or there would be anything that would cause problems, so I guess that's good. I was under the impression that they either approved or denied (or requested more info) on the spot. Maybe it's the new process or something? Not sure. Anyone have a similar experience?

Exactly how it is supposed to go. Check online about your case status - you should see a "welcome letter mailed" in a few days.

In theory, you are done with all of this for the next 21 months!

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hope you'll see "welcome letter"!!!

we had intervew in Newark in December 2005(we were married in october 2004),the intervew went succesfully and we were expected GC but in a few days we got a letter"sorry,fbi name check......"and i still waiting almost 2 years,it's really frustrating,my travel doc expired and we need apply for a new one if we'll go outside of usa,congressmen tried to help but he couldn't and I see here in VJ how many people waiting this name check:(But i have some friends from my hometown in russia and some of them got GC in a short time,I guess for everybody is different

Good Luck!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Unless you got the I-551 stamp there is no real proof of being approved until the welcome to America letter comes. I have heard horror stories of "approved files" just getting lost and nobody is able to help generate a green card for years.

Hope all goes well.

Way to go Slim and Slimette. It may not be a yes but it definitely wasnt a no. We have about 3 weeks to go till our interview and Elena will be 7 1/2 months pregnant so it will be interesting if they want further proof of the relationship.

Congrats again.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I think you're fine, and the IO was just swamped or needed to submit your case to her supervisor for an approval.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

i wasn't approved right away at my AOS interview either. They had to wait until both parts of my file were reconciled together.

I heard back from them very quickly.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
Unless you got the I-551 stamp there is no real proof of being approved until the welcome to America letter comes. I have heard horror stories of "approved files" just getting lost and nobody is able to help generate a green card for years.

Hope all goes well.

I know of a guy from Russia who has been waiting 7 years! He keeps getting the temporary 551 stamps,

lost file I guess.

I guess we are good then. Anything besides a definite "NO" is usually good when dealing with the government, so that's a positive. Thanks for the timely replies, I guess I'll keep checking the website to see if we get a letter sent. Once I see that, I'll update here with the "APPROVED!!!!" and the little dancing smiley face.

We have about 3 weeks to go till our interview and Elena will be 7 1/2 months pregnant so it will be interesting if they want further proof of the relationship.

:lol::lol::lol: That should be proof enough. But, maybe they'll wanna see you guys on Jerry Springer with the paternity test results. "Are you ready..... 99.9% accuracy....... it's not the midget crack dealer transvestite!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Actually when I told the doctor about the interview he said we should reschedule and he would even give us a note! I tried to explain and tell him this isnt the post office its immigration these people are very funny about stuff like that. The doctor just rolled his eyes and said that if anything happens we could be in trouble. I told him we are going to go to the interview and everything will be fine.

And I have asked Elena a bunch of times if there is something she needs to tell me about our son? She just smiles and says of course not what would I have to tell. :whistle:

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Timeline
Actually when I told the doctor about the interview he said we should reschedule and he would even give us a note! I tried to explain and tell him this isnt the post office its immigration these people are very funny about stuff like that. The doctor just rolled his eyes and said that if anything happens we could be in trouble. I told him we are going to go to the interview and everything will be fine. :whistle:

Actually, it isn't such a big deal to reschedule an AOS interview. Make an infopass appointment and they

will change it. It is kind of a hassle unless you have a very good reason.

Someone I know personally did this - just delayed things about 2 weeks.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Congratulations, Slim and Slimette! Be sure to post when you see that her "Welcome to America" is on its way!

But, I do have one issue with your post: you wrote:

Anything besides a definite "NO" is usually good when dealing with the government ...

I those who us who fall into Administrative Processing, and espeically those who hang out there for a long time, would take issue with that statement, since those in AP/AR hear nothing at all.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline
I those who us who fall into Administrative Processing, and espeically those who hang out there for a long time, would take issue with that statement, since those in AP/AR hear nothing at all.

Honestly, I don't understand why it is such a big deal waiting for approval at this point. If it is for

a K-1/K-3, sure. But at this point, you are already together, in the States, able to work, able to travel.

Does it really change anything? -- No.

AOS interviews for bona fide marriages do not get "denied". Worst case - they ask for mor information

and you send it. Absolute worst case (they suspect fraud), you get the third degree. Eventually

they realize there is no fraud and you are still fine (and this is very rare).

In the case of an AOS not bein approved (us), you just submit it again. We were the reason it wasn't

approved, not USCIS. You can keep doing this forever. The second time it was approved with all of 3

questions at the interview for us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.