Jump to content
apellica

Renewing Passport during K-1 Visa Submission

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Currently, we are in the early stages of the K-1 Visa and have received our NOA1 a couple of months ago.  I am looking to visit her again in the Philippines around the 2nd quarter of next year.  Problem is, my passport will expire in the 1st quarter of next year and I will need to renew it before I travel to her.  The logical choice is to just renew my passport soon.  However, renewing a passport will force me to turn in my old one which contains my Bio page and Philippine passport stamps that were included as evidence during my I-129F submission.

 

When is the appropriate time for me to renew?  Am I going to regret turning in the old one too soon?  Are there any future documents in this K-1 Visa process requiring that original passport?  The best thing I could think of is make scanned copies of my bio and passport stamp pages(that contain my Philippine trips).  Appreciate any feedback from the VJ community. 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, apellica said:

Hi all,

 

Currently, we are in the early stages of the K-1 Visa and have received our NOA1 a couple of months ago.  I am looking to visit her again in the Philippines around the 2nd quarter of next year.  Problem is, my passport will expire in the 1st quarter of next year and I will need to renew it before I travel to her.  The logical choice is to just renew my passport soon.  However, renewing a passport will force me to turn in my old one which contains my Bio page and Philippine passport stamps that were included as evidence during my I-129F submission.

 

When is the appropriate time for me to renew?  Am I going to regret turning in the old one too soon?  Are there any future documents in this K-1 Visa process requiring that original passport?  The best thing I could think of is make scanned copies of my bio and passport stamp pages(that contain my Philippine trips).  Appreciate any feedback from the VJ community. 

 

Thank you!

Your old passport is returned to you with the new passport.


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

 

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, apellica said:

Hi all,

 

Currently, we are in the early stages of the K-1 Visa and have received our NOA1 a couple of months ago.  I am looking to visit her again in the Philippines around the 2nd quarter of next year.  Problem is, my passport will expire in the 1st quarter of next year and I will need to renew it before I travel to her.  The logical choice is to just renew my passport soon.  However, renewing a passport will force me to turn in my old one which contains my Bio page and Philippine passport stamps that were included as evidence during my I-129F submission.

 

When is the appropriate time for me to renew?  Am I going to regret turning in the old one too soon?  Are there any future documents in this K-1 Visa process requiring that original passport?  The best thing I could think of is make scanned copies of my bio and passport stamp pages(that contain my Philippine trips).  Appreciate any feedback from the VJ community. 

 

Thank you!

That's  exactly what I'd  do make copies of the bio page and of the stamp page several copies then renew as needed. You should be ok I'd renew so you'd  have stamps in your new passport also. You can always write an explanation about  the passport if they keep it.

Edited by Sarge2155


event.png

 

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


                                                             

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're already a few months into the petition process ..    By the 2nd quarter of next year things could be very different .. if you know what I mean.  ;)  

 

CFO may ask for a copy of the Petitioner's BIO page from the passport, but that can be the new passport.   Don't know of any need for copies of your old passport.

 

In a few months you maybe at the NVC stages of the process.  Shortly after that the embassy process.

 

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/nvc.html

 

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

 

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the feedback guys.  It is my first time renewing a passport so I did not know they returned the old one.  The thing is, I know things tend to change from time to time.  For example, and please correct me if I am wrong, you now have use the mail-in method to renew a passport.  In other words, you can no longer get it renewed at the US Post Office.  At least from my research, I don’t see any other option.

 

Hank - to your point, things should start happening by that time.  Hoping they do a big push by the end of this year and will start dealing with the NVC early next year.  My plan is to visit her about a month or so before her interview and help her with any outstanding documentation that needs to be done.  Figure we could organize it, take additional pictures while we are together again, and practice embassy interview related questions.

 

Also, after reading your page Hank, I forgot about the GCP process.  That means she would need to make “another” trip back to Manila just for that alone unless she could somehow align the Medical, Interview, and GCP seminar in the same week.  Just feels like a lot of back and forth....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could never get it "renewed" at the post office,  many post offices are merely passport applications acceptance agents and that is still true today.  


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, apellica said:

Thank you for the feedback guys.  It is my first time renewing a passport so I did not know they returned the old one.  The thing is, I know things tend to change from time to time.  For example, and please correct me if I am wrong, you now have use the mail-in method to renew a passport.  In other words, you can no longer get it renewed at the US Post Office.  At least from my research, I don’t see any other option.

 

Hank - to your point, things should start happening by that time.  Hoping they do a big push by the end of this year and will start dealing with the NVC early next year.  My plan is to visit her about a month or so before her interview and help her with any outstanding documentation that needs to be done.  Figure we could organize it, take additional pictures while we are together again, and practice embassy interview related questions.

 

Also, after reading your page Hank, I forgot about the GCP process.  That means she would need to make “another” trip back to Manila just for that alone unless she could somehow align the Medical, Interview, and GCP seminar in the same week.  Just feels like a lot of back and forth....

 

 

Yes you can renew by mail, if you meet all the requirements.   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html     (I use the post office as they take the passport photo at the same time, but then they are close so a short drive)    Acceptance facilities:  https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

 

CFO  has 4 locations.   And I know of a few people that scheduled CFO in the same week as their medical and sometimes the interview as well.

 

Document requirements are from PSA and NBI for the most part, not much you can do to assist with those.   Do read through Step 5 on the embassy website that I linked, that lists the requirements.   Give her a copy of the I-129F you completed for USCIS the BIO information about you will be helpful for the embassy interview and for CFO.

 

 

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

 

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

You could never get it "renewed" at the post office,  many post offices are merely passport applications acceptance agents and that is still true today.  

Gotcha...thank you for the info.

 

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

 

 

Yes you can renew by mail, if you meet all the requirements.   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html     (I use the post office as they take the passport photo at the same time, but then they are close so a short drive)    Acceptance facilities:  https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

 

CFO  has 4 locations.   And I know of a few people that scheduled CFO in the same week as their medical and sometimes the interview as well.

 

Document requirements are from PSA and NBI for the most part, not much you can do to assist with those.   Do read through Step 5 on the embassy website that I linked, that lists the requirements.   Give her a copy of the I-129F you completed for USCIS the BIO information about you will be helpful for the embassy interview and for CFO.

 

 

Thanks again Hank.  Yes, she plans on going to the seminar in Cebu since that is more convenient for her.  Also, it sounds like we can do that sooner rather than later.  Might as well do it while we are waiting for the NOA2 and she plans on visiting Cebu around New Years.  So hopefully, she can knock it out then.  We'll have to take a look at the required documents that you listed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I'm going off-topic and should create a new one, but since this has already been mentioned....

 

I was looking at the process and the requirements for the CFO.  Not sure if things have changed since the times you guys did it, but it looks like she wouldn't need to attend the GCP.  When I go the the official site, you need to answer a few questions to see if you're eligible:

 

These are just the first 2 questions

1. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a foreign national?
Yes
 
No

2. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a former Filipino citizen?
Yes
 
No

 
STEPS
  1. To check whether or not you are required to take the Guidance and Counseling Program, please answer the questions by clicking "Yes" or "No" and choosing from the drop-down list.

  2. Type in your valid e-mail address.

NOTE:
If you answered "No" to question 1 and 2, then you do need to under go the GCP.

 

With me being a US Citizen and not a former Filipino, then she can avoid attending the GCP.  Is this a recent change or am I interpreting this wrong?

 

Thanks again in advance guys!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apellica said:

Gotcha...thank you for the info.

 

Thanks again Hank.  Yes, she plans on going to the seminar in Cebu since that is more convenient for her.  Also, it sounds like we can do that sooner rather than later.  Might as well do it while we are waiting for the NOA2 and she plans on visiting Cebu around New Years.  So hopefully, she can knock it out then.  We'll have to take a look at the required documents that you listed.

Yes, get CFO-GCP completed as soon as you can, CFO has limited seatings for that seminar so bookings can be a month out.    You do not need your visa to complete the GCP seminar.


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

 

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, apellica said:

I feel like I'm going off-topic and should create a new one, but since this has already been mentioned....

 

I was looking at the process and the requirements for the CFO.  Not sure if things have changed since the times you guys did it, but it looks like she wouldn't need to attend the GCP.  When I go the the official site, you need to answer a few questions to see if you're eligible:

 

These are just the first 2 questions

1. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a foreign national?
Yes
 
No

2. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a former Filipino citizen?
Yes
 
No

 
STEPS
  1. To check whether or not you are required to take the Guidance and Counseling Program, please answer the questions by clicking "Yes" or "No" and choosing from the drop-down list.

  2. Type in your valid e-mail address.

NOTE:
If you answered "No" to question 1 and 2, then you do need to under go the GCP.

 

With me being a US Citizen and not a former Filipino, then she can avoid attending the GCP.  Is this a recent change or am I interpreting this wrong?

 

Thanks again in advance guys!

 

 

You are interpreting it wrong.

 

You being a USC .. you ARE a foreign national (in the Philippines)    and your fiancee must attend GCP.     Be glad for this, as PDOS seminar (everyone attends CFO before exiting) does not allow for completing the seminar early.    

 

GCP is for fiancee or spouse of a USC, it can be completed any time, preferably get it done as soon as possible. 


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

 

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

You are interpreting it wrong.

 

You being a USC .. you ARE a foreign national (in the Philippines)    and your fiancee must attend GCP.     Be glad for this, as PDOS seminar (everyone attends CFO before exiting) does not allow for completing the seminar early.    

 

GCP is for fiancee or spouse of a USC, it can be completed any time, preferably get it done as soon as possible. 

Ok got it.  Thank you for the clarification!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just make copies of the applicable pages in the old passport. Copies are all you will ever submit to USCIS anyway....Good Luck)


Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...