apellica

Renewing Passport during K-1 Visa Submission

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

Currently, we are in the early stages of the K-1 Visa and have received our NOA1 a couple of months ago.  I am looking to visit her again in the Philippines around the 2nd quarter of next year.  Problem is, my passport will expire in the 1st quarter of next year and I will need to renew it before I travel to her.  The logical choice is to just renew my passport soon.  However, renewing a passport will force me to turn in my old one which contains my Bio page and Philippine passport stamps that were included as evidence during my I-129F submission.

When is the appropriate time for me to renew?  Am I going to regret turning in the old one too soon?  Are there any future documents in this K-1 Visa process requiring that original passport?  The best thing I could think of is make scanned copies of my bio and passport stamp pages(that contain my Philippine trips).  Appreciate any feedback from the VJ community. 

Thank you!

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, apellica said:

Hi all,

Currently, we are in the early stages of the K-1 Visa and have received our NOA1 a couple of months ago.  I am looking to visit her again in the Philippines around the 2nd quarter of next year.  Problem is, my passport will expire in the 1st quarter of next year and I will need to renew it before I travel to her.  The logical choice is to just renew my passport soon.  However, renewing a passport will force me to turn in my old one which contains my Bio page and Philippine passport stamps that were included as evidence during my I-129F submission.

When is the appropriate time for me to renew?  Am I going to regret turning in the old one too soon?  Are there any future documents in this K-1 Visa process requiring that original passport?  The best thing I could think of is make scanned copies of my bio and passport stamp pages(that contain my Philippine trips).  Appreciate any feedback from the VJ community. 

Thank you!

Your old passport is returned to you with the new passport.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 minutes ago, apellica said:

Hi all,

Thank you!

That's  exactly what I'd  do make copies of the bio page and of the stamp page several copies then renew as needed. You should be ok I'd renew so you'd  have stamps in your new passport also. You can always write an explanation about  the passport if they keep it.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline

You're already a few months into the petition process ..    By the 2nd quarter of next year things could be very different .. if you know what I mean.  ;)  

CFO may ask for a copy of the Petitioner's BIO page from the passport, but that can be the new passport.   Don't know of any need for copies of your old passport.

In a few months you maybe at the NVC stages of the process.  Shortly after that the embassy process.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/nvc.html

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thank you for the feedback guys.  It is my first time renewing a passport so I did not know they returned the old one.  The thing is, I know things tend to change from time to time.  For example, and please correct me if I am wrong, you now have use the mail-in method to renew a passport.  In other words, you can no longer get it renewed at the US Post Office.  At least from my research, I don’t see any other option.

Hank - to your point, things should start happening by that time.  Hoping they do a big push by the end of this year and will start dealing with the NVC early next year.  My plan is to visit her about a month or so before her interview and help her with any outstanding documentation that needs to be done.  Figure we could organize it, take additional pictures while we are together again, and practice embassy interview related questions.

Also, after reading your page Hank, I forgot about the GCP process.  That means she would need to make “another” trip back to Manila just for that alone unless she could somehow align the Medical, Interview, and GCP seminar in the same week.  Just feels like a lot of back and forth....

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You could never get it "renewed" at the post office,  many post offices are merely passport applications acceptance agents and that is still true today.  

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, apellica said:

Thank you for the feedback guys.  It is my first time renewing a passport so I did not know they returned the old one.  The thing is, I know things tend to change from time to time.  For example, and please correct me if I am wrong, you now have use the mail-in method to renew a passport.  In other words, you can no longer get it renewed at the US Post Office.  At least from my research, I don’t see any other option.

Hank - to your point, things should start happening by that time.  Hoping they do a big push by the end of this year and will start dealing with the NVC early next year.  My plan is to visit her about a month or so before her interview and help her with any outstanding documentation that needs to be done.  Figure we could organize it, take additional pictures while we are together again, and practice embassy interview related questions.

Also, after reading your page Hank, I forgot about the GCP process.  That means she would need to make “another” trip back to Manila just for that alone unless she could somehow align the Medical, Interview, and GCP seminar in the same week.  Just feels like a lot of back and forth....

Yes you can renew by mail, if you meet all the requirements.   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html     (I use the post office as they take the passport photo at the same time, but then they are close so a short drive)    Acceptance facilities:  https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

CFO  has 4 locations.   And I know of a few people that scheduled CFO in the same week as their medical and sometimes the interview as well.

Document requirements are from PSA and NBI for the most part, not much you can do to assist with those.   Do read through Step 5 on the embassy website that I linked, that lists the requirements.   Give her a copy of the I-129F you completed for USCIS the BIO information about you will be helpful for the embassy interview and for CFO.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

You could never get it "renewed" at the post office,  many post offices are merely passport applications acceptance agents and that is still true today.  

Gotcha...thank you for the info.

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Yes you can renew by mail, if you meet all the requirements.   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html     (I use the post office as they take the passport photo at the same time, but then they are close so a short drive)    Acceptance facilities:  https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

CFO  has 4 locations.   And I know of a few people that scheduled CFO in the same week as their medical and sometimes the interview as well.

Document requirements are from PSA and NBI for the most part, not much you can do to assist with those.   Do read through Step 5 on the embassy website that I linked, that lists the requirements.   Give her a copy of the I-129F you completed for USCIS the BIO information about you will be helpful for the embassy interview and for CFO.

Thanks again Hank.  Yes, she plans on going to the seminar in Cebu since that is more convenient for her.  Also, it sounds like we can do that sooner rather than later.  Might as well do it while we are waiting for the NOA2 and she plans on visiting Cebu around New Years.  So hopefully, she can knock it out then.  We'll have to take a look at the required documents that you listed.

event.png

Timeline

I feel like I'm going off-topic and should create a new one, but since this has already been mentioned....

I was looking at the process and the requirements for the CFO.  Not sure if things have changed since the times you guys did it, but it looks like she wouldn't need to attend the GCP.  When I go the the official site, you need to answer a few questions to see if you're eligible:

These are just the first 2 questions

1. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a foreign national?
Yes

No

2. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a former Filipino citizen?
Yes

No

STEPS
  1. To check whether or not you are required to take the Guidance and Counseling Program, please answer the questions by clicking "Yes" or "No" and choosing from the drop-down list.

2. Type in your valid e-mail address.

NOTE:
If you answered "No" to question 1 and 2, then you do need to under go the GCP.

With me being a US Citizen and not a former Filipino, then she can avoid attending the GCP.  Is this a recent change or am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks again in advance guys!

event.png

Timeline
1 hour ago, apellica said:

Gotcha...thank you for the info.

Thanks again Hank.  Yes, she plans on going to the seminar in Cebu since that is more convenient for her.  Also, it sounds like we can do that sooner rather than later.  Might as well do it while we are waiting for the NOA2 and she plans on visiting Cebu around New Years.  So hopefully, she can knock it out then.  We'll have to take a look at the required documents that you listed.

Yes, get CFO-GCP completed as soon as you can, CFO has limited seatings for that seminar so bookings can be a month out.    You do not need your visa to complete the GCP seminar.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
31 minutes ago, apellica said:

I feel like I'm going off-topic and should create a new one, but since this has already been mentioned....

I was looking at the process and the requirements for the CFO.  Not sure if things have changed since the times you guys did it, but it looks like she wouldn't need to attend the GCP.  When I go the the official site, you need to answer a few questions to see if you're eligible:

These are just the first 2 questions

1. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a foreign national?
Yes

No

2. Is your fiancé(e) / spouse / partner a former Filipino citizen?
Yes

No

STEPS
  1. To check whether or not you are required to take the Guidance and Counseling Program, please answer the questions by clicking "Yes" or "No" and choosing from the drop-down list.

2. Type in your valid e-mail address.

NOTE:
If you answered "No" to question 1 and 2, then you do need to under go the GCP.

With me being a US Citizen and not a former Filipino, then she can avoid attending the GCP.  Is this a recent change or am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks again in advance guys!

You are interpreting it wrong.

You being a USC .. you ARE a foreign national (in the Philippines)    and your fiancee must attend GCP.     Be glad for this, as PDOS seminar (everyone attends CFO before exiting) does not allow for completing the seminar early.    

GCP is for fiancee or spouse of a USC, it can be completed any time, preferably get it done as soon as possible. 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

You are interpreting it wrong.

You being a USC .. you ARE a foreign national (in the Philippines)    and your fiancee must attend GCP.     Be glad for this, as PDOS seminar (everyone attends CFO before exiting) does not allow for completing the seminar early.    

GCP is for fiancee or spouse of a USC, it can be completed any time, preferably get it done as soon as possible. 

Ok got it.  Thank you for the clarification!

event.png

Just make copies of the applicable pages in the old passport. Copies are all you will ever submit to USCIS anyway....Good Luck)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.