6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bummed....after 125 days , just received an e-mail notice that there has been an update on our case. I got very excited that all will be done soon....well the excitement diminished after I read I should be expecting a RFE letter within the next couple days. I thought I did a great and complete job with my I-485 packet.... Of course, I have to wait for the letter to know what the USCIS is specifically requesting. Last night, I looked over my packet and realized I never submitted a translated copy in English of my wife's foreign Birth certificate....I'm hoping that is all they are requesting ... I went ahead and got a certified translation of the birth certificate, so its ready to send off ASAP.  Anyone else have similar experience with RFE's? --I'm worried it will set us back a lot. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, it will certainly set you back, but as to how much that is hard to tell.  Hopefully, the RFE is simply asking for the translated BC, if so, you sound like you are in a position to answer it fairly quickly.  The only RFE we ever received was at the I129F stage where we neglected to send in a required document. I responded within a few days, and it did not seem to impact our timing much.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

Thanks for the reply......I'm hoping that is all it is: translation of BC. Fingers crossed!!! From what I've read , RFE's cause a pause in your time frame..... time delays vary....also some people get a quick update after sending in the RFE. Just hoping for the best outcome.

Timeline

So we got a RFE asking for evidence that my wife was not subject to the 212E - Two year home residency requirement.  She was an Au Pair and came here on a J1 visa.  Commonly, au pairs are NOT subject to the requirement and she had two US Visas in her packet that clearly stated she was NOT subject to it.  We also included her recent DS-2019 which was not filled out by the Consulate because she switched families while here.  Thankfully she kept her old DS-2019 which was signed and dated by the Consulate and indicated she was not subject to the home residency rule.  This was an easy RFE to reply to, but USCIS wants to see more than visas I guess.

We Received the RFE in late September and sent the reply back about 4 days later.  USCIS updated online the next day they received it and it was in review.  All of this was ONLY for her 485.  About 30 days, I inquired about her EAD and AP and heard they were approved on Oct 29.  She just received her combo card.  Then TODAY, NOV 7th, our 485 case updated online to “Ready to schedule Interview” but is PAST-DATED to October 28th.  So about ten days.

So it took them about 30 days after the RFE Response to complete the review and put us on the scheduling queue.  This can vary!  One of my wives’ friends had her case flip to Schedule status about a week after the RFE was received, but that friend is also waiting on her EAD/AP.  I hear that USCIS usually tries to update with 90 days of RFE Received.  

Your RFE is simple, so I’d guess about 30 days for them to put you in the scheduling queue.  If it’s hitting 60, I’d reach out and ask what’s going on.

Timeline

Thanks dwolf for the words of encouragement. anyway my guess was right they needed a birth certificate with translation. I put it back in the mail the same day I received it.

It's been a few days haven't had any updates yet will keep you all posted. Good luck to everyone

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One positive aspect of receiving an RFE is that at least you know that your file is not languishing in some government warehouse, but is in the actual adjudication queue. Additionally, it was an easy remedied fix for the RFE. 👍

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.