RamonGomez

Interview for minor child (CR2 visa)

11 posts in this topic

Timeline

For a 10-year old child coming over on a CR2 visa, how does the interview work? I understand it's largely a formality.

Do I (petitioner/stepfather) or my wife (biological mother) need to be present, or can she be accompanied by my mother-in-law and sister-in-law (wife's mom & sister)? Both of them been to the embassy in GUANGZHOU, CHINA for their tourist visas so they have a general understanding of the lay of the land over there.

My wife would then go over there quickly and accompany her back to the US once the CR2 visa is finalized and issued. We have a one-year-old child here so it's hard for me and my wife to travel, so two trips, or even on long trip is very difficult for us.

Edited by RamonGomez

16 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

Do I (petitioner/stepfather) or my wife (biological mother) need to be present, or can she be accompanied by my mother-in-law and sister-in-law (wife's mom & sister)? Both of them been to the embassy in GUANGZHOU, CHINA

Does the CR2 kid currently staying with the mother in law and sister in law right now? If they currently have custody of him/her, I would think that is no problem. You might want to email Guangzhou in advance to make sure. 

Yes interview mostly a formality, but depends on the age of the child, they may ask appropriate questions. If the child is 2, obviously not many questions can be asked. If the child is 6, maybe "Hey kid, who's your Mommy, who's your Daddy, who is this person that's taking you today"

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Does the CR2 kid currently staying with the mother in law and sister in law right now? If they currently have custody of him/her, I would think that is no problem. You might want to email Guangzhou in advance to make sure. 

Yes interview mostly a formality, but depends on the age of the child, they may ask appropriate questions. If the child is 2, obviously not many questions can be asked. If the child is 6, maybe "Hey kid, who's your Mommy, who's your Daddy, who is this person that's taking you today"

Thanks! My wife has sole custody of her daughter (and we have the doc to prove it). She has been staying with my wife's parents (her grandparents) & sister (her aunt) while we've waited out her CR2 process (my wife AOS'ed). If we knew that she would get the visa ASAP after the interview, my wife could probably swing a 1-1.5 week trip but if things get held up post interview then my wife would have to make a second trip, which would be incredibly tough for us.

Edited by RamonGomez

16 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

Thanks! My wife has sole custody of her daughter (and we have the doc to prove it). She has been staying with my wife's parents (her grandparents) & sister (her aunt) while we've waited out her CR2 process (my wife AOS'ed). If we knew that she would get the visa ASAP after the interview, my wife could probably swing a 1-1.5 week trip but if things get held up post interview then my wife would have to make a second trip, which would be incredibly tough for us.

The other thing just popped in my mind is maybe your wife can write something on paper to the effect of: "I am so and so's Mom and I am giving permission for my parents and my sister to take him/her for the interview blah blah blah..."

Timeline
1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

The other thing just popped in my mind is maybe your wife can write something on paper to the effect of: "I am so and so's Mom and I am giving permission for my parents and my sister to take him/her for the interview blah blah blah..."

Okay. I sent an email to the consulate asking them what is the situation. Thanks for you help.

Timeline
2 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Actually, I finally found the information:

Applicants under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or an individual having legal custody of, or a legitimate interest in the applicant to act as the minor's proxy for the purpose of signing the visa application. The accompanying adult must show official government photo identification to enter the consulate. Accompanying adults who do not have a legal relation to the minor should also bring a notarized signed

affidavit from the minor's parent or legal guardian authorizing them to act as a minor's proxy for this purpose.

To be safe, my wife and I will find a way that she can go to theinterview with her daughter, to avoid any problems.

Your wife needs to write a letter saying that her parents have custody over the child and it needs to be with the paperwork that they submit at the interview

Timeline
16 hours ago, AftM89 said:

Your wife needs to write a letter saying that her parents have custody over the child and it needs to be with the paperwork that they submit at the interview

Thanks. My wife has sole custody of her daughter. We're going to find a way to make it work and have her go there.

18 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

Thanks. My wife has sole custody of her daughter. We're going to find a way to make it work and have her go there.

From what you quoted above, the “legitimate interest” should cover grandparents taking her.

5 hours ago, RamonGomez said:

What I mean is to avoid your wife going there for interview she can write the letter,I did that and only went to pick up my son after the visa was issued 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, AftM89 said:

What I mean is to avoid your wife going there for interview she can write the letter,I did that and only went to pick up my son after the visa was issued 

Thanks. we'll give it some thought. I contacted the embassy and they said the same thing. This would make things a lot easier...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.