12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

So, I am starting to fill out the I-864EZ and gathering the documents. Since I took two years off to raise our son, I did not have an income. My husband took care of us financially with his job. Recently I moved back to the states and I am working again. My current annual salary is above the 125% threshold. 

Looking at my tax transcript and finding the "Adjusted Gross Income" section, it is lacking by a lot when I enter it into the form. So I am providing my 2017 and 2016 tax transcript too, which is OK....

We are not looking to rope in a joint sponsor because we (more like my husband's bank account in Switzerland) do have the cash value for a family of 3 (5 times what is required) plus my job. Also there is a 70% chance that my husband's job will be relocating him to the USA branch. 

As of now, do I upload bank statements of my husband's bank account along with my pay stubs? 

Thank you for the help!

5 hours ago, HuberKimFamily said:

Hello Everyone!

So, I am starting to fill out the I-864EZ and gathering the documents. Since I took two years off to raise our son, I did not have an income. My husband took care of us financially with his job. Recently I moved back to the states and I am working again. My current annual salary is above the 125% threshold. 

Looking at my tax transcript and finding the "Adjusted Gross Income" section, it is lacking by a lot when I enter it into the form. So I am providing my 2017 and 2016 tax transcript too, which is OK....

We are not looking to rope in a joint sponsor because we (more like my husband's bank account in Switzerland) do have the cash value for a family of 3 (5 times what is required) plus my job. Also there is a 70% chance that my husband's job will be relocating him to the USA branch. 

As of now, do I upload bank statements of my husband's bank account along with my pay stubs? 

Thank you for the help!

If im understanding you correctly, you will be using your husbands financial and you are the petitioner correct? If so you cannot use the I-864EZ, instead use the standard I-864 from. EZ version is only available to petitioner using only their income.

Spoiler

03/04/2019: Mailed I-130 Form to Phoenix lockbox.

03/06/2019: USCIS receives application/priority date.

03/08/2019: Credit card charge went pending.

03/12/2019: NOA1 Text – routed to SRC.

03/16/2019: NOA1 Physical Mail (Notice date 3/11/2019).

08/15/2019: NOA2 Email and Text.

08/20/2019: NOA2 Physical Mail.

08/30/2019: Case sent to NVC.

09/10/2019: NVC received case.

10/04/2019: Received email case creation and paid AOS & IV fees.

10/09/2019: Uploaded and submitted all documents required to NVC.

10/17/2019: Received email that there was a change on our case. I checked and all documents were approved.

10/18/2019: Received email that we are Documentarily Qualified.

10/24/2019: Received immigrant visa interview appointment via email.

If you qualify on YOUR income, you can use the I-864ez.  You cannot include your assets with the I-864ez. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

6 hours ago, NikLR said:

If you qualify on YOUR income, you can use the I-864ez.  You cannot include your assets with the I-864ez. 

My current income correct or does it have to be income for the past 3 years + my current income?

8 hours ago, jimfleurieee said:

If im understanding you correctly, you will be using your husbands financial and you are the petitioner correct? If so you cannot use the I-864EZ, instead use the standard I-864 from. EZ version is only available to petitioner using only their income.

You are understanding correctly. Ok, I just re-read a particular line. Since I recently started the job, clearly my W-2 form is not available. Thank you!

If I do use the I-864 then could we use my husband's assets?

I just looked through the form I-1864 as everyone has stated and I see that I can include my husband's asset (optional) with this form. Thank you!

2 hours ago, HuberKimFamily said:

My current income correct or does it have to be income for the past 3 years + my current income?

It needs to show on A w2. Whichever year.  But i think the I-864 is better suited for you right now. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 hours ago, HuberKimFamily said:

You are understanding correctly. Ok, I just re-read a particular line. Since I recently started the job, clearly my W-2 form is not available. Thank you!

If I do use the I-864 then could we use my husband's assets?

Sadly no you cannot.

To qualify, an I-864 joint sponsor must meet all of the following requirements:

• Be a U.S. citizen or green card holder
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Reside in the United States or a U.S. territory but not in either spouse’s household
  • Have total household income equal to at least 125% of the Federal Poverty
  • Guidelines for their household size and location (for both the most recent tax filing year and the current year)
  • Be willing to accept joint liability with the sponsoring spouse for financially supporting the spouse seeking a green card

Spoiler

10/17/2019: Received email that there was a change on our case. I checked and all documents were approved.

3 minutes ago, jimfleurieee said:

Sadly no you cannot.

To qualify, an I-864 joint sponsor must meet all of the following requirements:

• Be a U.S. citizen or green card holder
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Reside in the United States or a U.S. territory but not in either spouse’s household
  • Have total household income equal to at least 125% of the Federal Poverty
  • Guidelines for their household size and location (for both the most recent tax filing year and the current year)
  • Be willing to accept joint liability with the sponsoring spouse for financially supporting the spouse seeking a green card

Then I am confused. When I did the I-864 Form, it has a section where I can enter in my husband's assets (cash amount in the bank).  Part 7 of the form (Assets of the Principal Sponsored Immigrant) where it is optional. 

**Item Numbers 6. - 9. Assets of the Intending Immigrant. You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit. Add together Item Numbers 6. - 8. and type or print the total number in Item Number 9. Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrant’s assets.**

Thanks for the help! 

1 minute ago, HuberKimFamily said:

Then I am confused. When I did the I-864 Form, it has a section where I can enter in my husband's assets (cash amount in the bank).  Part 7 of the form (Assets of the Principal Sponsored Immigrant) where it is optional. 

**Item Numbers 6. - 9. Assets of the Intending Immigrant. You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit. Add together Item Numbers 6. - 8. and type or print the total number in Item Number 9. Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrant’s assets.**

Thanks for the help! 

Actually i just reread it income you cannot however it looks like assets are fine. He is the sponsored immigrant correct?

If your total household income does not meet the requirement, you may submit evidence of the value of your assets, the sponsored immigrant’s assets, and/or assets of a household member that can be used, if necessary, for the support of the intending immigrants. The value of assets of all of these persons may be combined in order to meet the necessary requirement.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, jimfleurieee said:

Actually i just reread it income you cannot however it looks like assets are fine. He is the sponsored immigrant correct?

If your total household income does not meet the requirement, you may submit evidence of the value of your assets, the sponsored immigrant’s assets, and/or assets of a household member that can be used, if necessary, for the support of the intending immigrants. The value of assets of all of these persons may be combined in order to meet the necessary requirement.

Yes, he is the sponsored immigrant (The only non-USA citizen that I am bringing). Thank you for the clarification and taking the time to respond! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.