TGregorio

The visa process for 2 y.o. child of a 20 y.o. K-2 child who is a child of a K-1 (mother)

31 posts in this topic

UPDATE: My step-daughter and her son are in the United States!

Thank you again to the VJ members that provided good and sound advice. Your were right on! 

I don't think anyone anticipated Covid-19 disrupting the immigration process, and causing substantial delays.

Immigration Timeline:

Step-daughter arrived in the U.S. On K2 Visa      12/07/2019

Step-daughter Filed AOS                                         12/20/2019

LPR card approved                                                   01/29/2021 

LPR card received                                                     02/05/2021

Filed Form I-130 For Son                                         02/09/2021

Form I-130 Approved                                               03/11/2021

Case Sent to NVC                                                     03/14/2021

Interview at U.S. Consulate                                     02/17/2022

Immigrant Visa Approved/Issued (FX2)               02/17/2022 

Visa Ready For Pickup                                             02/18/2022

Son Arrived in U.S.                                                    03/31/2022

I agree that Form I-130 is a more streamlined process and should save time. However, Form I-130 was taking longer to process in the year 2018-2019 than the  k1/K2 visa. I suspect since Form I-130 was taking over a year to process and USCIS caused delays in AOS processing, that my step-daughter may have been prevented from entering the U.S. during the Covid-19 lockdown, further delaying her son's arrival to the U.S. 

The immigration process for the son, Austin took approximately 13 months to receive his IV. Whereas the total elapsed time for Austin to migrate to the U.S. and rejoin his family is approximately 27 months. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.