Mary Rowlands

k1 Medical Exam Canada

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was able to book my K1 Interview in Montreal for December 4th, 2019.

I know Ontario has 3 locations for the medical and Quebec has 1 location.

I reside in Kingston so wasn't sure which office would be the best location. I would prefer Quebec but can't go a week or so before my interview, then drive back down for the interview.

Any help is appreciated. I plan on getting the vaccines needed before the medical exam.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What's your question, exactly?

If you search the Canadian forum, there are several helpful threads where people detail their experiences with the medical in Montreal.

Timeline

My question was which medical office do people tend to steer towards? I see most require 4+ passport photos, on top of the ones needed for the interview. Do any/all of them send the report back to you (for extra) or do you have to drive back to the location to pick the paperwork up?

What is the closest you can get the medical done before the interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It depends on geography, really. Montreal is closer to me, so Montreal it was. In addition, doing the medical in Montreal allows you to pick up the results in person  (they do NOT mail) prior to the interview at the consulate. They open at 7 AM while the consulate books the first interview at 7:30 AM.

Montreal requires 5 additional passport-style photos for your appointment. There is some debate as to whether they want US or Canadian style (the dimensions are different), but I suspect either are acceptable and are just for sticking on a file folder. For the record, I was told by Medisys/Horizon to bring the Canadian style.

Medisys/Horizon has to allow for a minimum of 4 or 5 days (I forget which) processing before results are ready, so that's as close to an interview as they will schedule an appointment. They're very upfront about this. My medical and consulate appointment are nearly a month apart, simply because I can't stay in Montreal for a week and I'm not making two trips back to back.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Thrillhouse

Timeline

I'm going to Dr. Mascarenhas next week in Toronto. I am in the Niagara region, so it's not too hard for me to get there. It's also downtown, which make it easier since I am taking the bus! It's $350 for the medical alone, and then another $50 for the results to be mailed to you or you can pick them up. 1 passport photo is required along with a vaccination checklist.

Timeline
1 hour ago, klgck said:

I'm going to Dr. Mascarenhas next week in Toronto. I am in the Niagara region, so it's not too hard for me to get there. It's also downtown, which make it easier since I am taking the bus! It's $350 for the medical alone, and then another $50 for the results to be mailed to you or you can pick them up. 1 passport photo is required along with a vaccination checklist.

I just registered on the website and sent the required email :)

Timeline

For the passport photo, they told me I need a US sized passport photo. I have previously gotten mine taken at Shopper's Drug Mart (for the interview). Will these suffice or do I need to specify I need US sized passport photos?

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Mary Rowlands said:

For the passport photo, they told me I need a US sized passport photo. I have previously gotten mine taken at Shopper's Drug Mart (for the interview). Will these suffice or do I need to specify I need US sized passport photos?

You need US sized for both the interview and the medical!

37 minutes ago, Mary Rowlands said:

What locations do US sized passport photos?

You can take the picture yourself and print 6 on a 4x6 picture (will cost you 50¢ to print...).  Not as hard as taking Canadian passports pictures. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html

Many tools online if you want to validate/resize your picture. 

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

You can take the picture yourself and print 6 on a 4x6 picture (will cost you 50¢ to print...).  Not as hard as taking Canadian passports pictures. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html

Many tools online if you want to validate/resize your picture. 

I'd consider doing that but my digital camera is at my fiance's house.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mary Rowlands said:

What locations do US sized passport photos?

I am going to Henry's this weekend to get mine done. Staples can do them, too. If you Google 'US sized passports near me,' you might be able to find something else closer to you!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, klgck said:

I am going to Henry's this weekend to get mine done. Staples can do them, too. If you Google 'US sized passports near me,' you might be able to find something else closer to you!

Just checked and the Henry's in my town doesn't do passport photos. Checked Staples website and I believe it might so I will check there.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mary Rowlands said:

Just checked and the Henry's in my town doesn't do passport photos. Checked Staples website and I believe it might so I will check there.

Staples is cheaper, too! I think I'm gonna go there instead haha. I plan on getting a set of two done and then scanning them and printing at Walmart to save a bit of money. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.