Kabena

New immigration law for F2A minor under 21

53 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hi everybody, Im really concerned about this upcoming law on insurance and public charge rules as it may hit me really hard. I joined the military so I could bring my family here (mom and my 2 youngest siblings). My mom is here as a permanent resident. She applied 3 years ago for my brother 15, my sister 20 and her 2 little boys as derivatives. The process has been dragging for ever, we finally got approved and awaiting for the interview and now boom this new law.

My mom herself doesn't meet the minimum requirements to sponsor 4 people. she barely makes $10,000/year working at macdonald and she is on my work insurance. I am the joint sponsor as household member. Both incomes combined = $63,000 which was perfectly fine before this new law.The 15 years old is ok but for my sister although she is considered minor under the immigration laws she is not really a child anymore; since she has 2 kids herself. NVC said it's going to be up to the CO to decide whether to grant them the visa or not. I was still very hopefull until this new law came out last week about getting an insurance before you get here or proving you are not going to be a public charge. How can I prove that? We don't have anybody else to add as co-sponsor. there are only 2 of us here in the U.S. The perspective of ending the loneliness of this country and alleviate the stress of my very demanding job as a military by reuniting with my family is now jeopardized.  

Anybody has any advise, hints that could help? That would be much appreciated!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Kabena said:

Hi everybody, Im really concerned about this upcoming law on insurance and public charge rules as it may hit me really hard. I joined the military so I could bring my family here (mom and my 2 youngest siblings). My mom is here as a permanent resident. She applied 3 years ago for my brother 15, my sister 20 and her 2 little boys as derivatives. The process has been dragging for ever, we finally got approved and awaiting for the interview and now boom this new law.

My mom herself doesn't meet the minimum requirements to sponsor 4 people. she barely makes $10,000/year working at macdonald and she is on my work insurance. I am the joint sponsor as household member. Both incomes combined = $63,000 which was perfectly fine before this new law.The 15 years old is ok but for my sister although she is considered minor under the immigration laws she is not really a child anymore; since she has 2 kids herself. NVC said it's going to be up to the CO to decide whether to grant them the visa or not. I was still very hopefull until this new law came out last week about getting an insurance before you get here or proving you are not going to be a public charge. How can I prove that? We don't have anybody else to add as co-sponsor. there are only 2 of us here in the U.S. The perspective of ending the loneliness of this country and alleviate the stress of my very demanding job as a military by reuniting with my family is now jeopardized.  

Anybody has any advise, hints that could help? That would be much appreciated!

Did you say you work in military?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kabena said:

Yes I do. I'm active duty.

I thought people active duty in armed forces are exempted from this.

So is there a way you can co-sponsor this and meet the 100% requirements?

Timeline
1 minute ago, AP-1 said:

I thought people active duty in armed forces are exempted from this.

So is there a way you can co-sponsor this and meet the 100% requirements?

It only applies when it's your spouse or children. Other family members same rules as everybody.

Timeline
Just now, Kabena said:

It only applies when it's your spouse or children. Other family members same rules as everybody.

Oh okay. 

also you said you are approved and awaiting for interview.

So did you already submit your AOS?

Timeline
1 minute ago, AP-1 said:

Oh okay. 

also you said you are approved and awaiting for interview.

So did you already submit your AOS?

Yes everything, DQ. Just waiting for the embassy to schedule the interview. That won't probably happen before november 4th. The date the second new law is going on effect. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kabena said:

Yes everything, DQ. Just waiting for the embassy to schedule the interview. That won't probably happen before november 4th. The date the second new law is going on effect. 

Yes. so you are fine for the new public charge rule.

Now the new insurance things. there is no dollar figure given to determine if you meet the requirements or not.

But you can always buy private insurance for 6 months before they enter the country. 

I have see someone put a link some where about a insurance company that provided Immigrant insurance from 30 days to 5 years. 

you could look into that.

But other than this, there is no way around this. Its all upto CO.

Good luck

Timeline
1 minute ago, AP-1 said:

Now the new insurance things. there is no dollar figure given to determine if you meet the requirements or not.

But you can always buy private insurance for 6 months before they enter the country. 

I have see someone put a link some where about a insurance company that provided Immigrant insurance from 30 days to 5 years. 

Good luck

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, AP-1 said:

Good luck

I'm going to try to find that link, if anybody has it please send it to me.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kabena said:

I'm going to try to find that link, if anybody has it please send it to me.

I found it.

https://www.sevencorners.com/#start

I don't know how good they are. But you can do some research on them or find similar companies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Kabena said:

Yes I do. I'm active duty.

Does your Mom have any health care coverage now?  What were the health care plans for the other 4 persons before this rule? 

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Does your Mom have any health care coverage now?  What were the plans for the others' health care before this rule? 

Yes she is under my tricare. 

Honestly I didn't think very hard about that. The plan was to get her here first find a job then go from there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kabena said:

Yes she is under my tricare. 

Honestly I didn't think very hard about that. The plan was to get her here first find a job then go from there.

I see.  Your mother is a military dependent of you.  She earns $10,000 a year......and she is the primary sponsor for 4 more people.  Am I summarizing it correctly? 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

I see.  Your mother is a military dependent of you.  She earns $10,000 a year......and she is the primary sponsor for 4 more people.  Am I summarizing it correctly? 

Correct.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.