sonman

N400-San Jose interview success!!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hey guys, 

Just wanted to share our success story at San Jose. We went for interview recently in San Jose office of USCIS.  My wife applied for Citizenship based on 3yrs of marriage. The interview was smooth and easy. As far as documents go, we went fully prepared (perhaps over prepared) with all docs, including taxes, mortgage info, bank statements, utility bills, insurance. You name it and we had it. In the end, all that the IO asked for was my Naturalization Cert, my wife's passport, the 6 test questions and few general questions related to marriage. Nothing too difficult. Not much documentation related questions at all. 

Then came the pleasant surprise we never expected: The IO said the Oath ceremony is in 2 days, yes you read that right. 2 DAYS!! She said if you can wait here for 30 minutes, we can give you an oath ceremony invite letter. After about 30 mins, we walked out with our oath letter. 

So if you have an interview coming up at San Jose office: don't stress. Go FULLY prepared just in case and you will be successful:-)

Sonny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations!!! 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I would like to add on my summary/timeline of the n400 interview experience at the San Jose office on 11/4/19:

-location name is confusing as address is actually Santa Clara
-originally filed in Seattle based on 5 years GC, used online portal to change address and interview was quickly re-scheduled
-short security screening, then check-in at front desk to get a waiting ticket number, takes 5 minutes
-appt. time was 2pm, 1 hour delay, did not get called until 3pm  - I was the last appointment
-officer had a trainee with them
-take oath 
-take webcam picture and fingerprints
-reviews N400 applicant in detail, correct any missing fields, looks at passport to confirm international trips and asked me for approximate durations of each trip, added in trips that happened after applying 
-reads and asks you to answer all the security/allegiance questions 
-english test: Read "Who lives in the White House?" and write on an ipad "The president lives in the white house" 
-civics test: taken directly from the booklet guide given at the biometrics appt. just reviewed that booklet a couple days prior and questions are easy. Also used this website that has the questions in electronic quiz form: https://civicsquestions.com/
-got recommendation for approval, stated there would be a final review and then oath ceremony letter to be mailed later (could not give accurate timeline for receiving, only that one can make an appointment if not heard back in 120 days)
-received envelope with passport application that can be turned in at the oath ceremony (but only if you have a morning slot, afternoon has to apply at post office)
-with waiting and appointment, total time was about 2 hours

Hope this informs and helps someone. Good luck.

• 2 years later...
On 11/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, bpd_93 said:

I would like to add on my summary/timeline of the n400 interview experience at the San Jose office on 11/4/19:

-location name is confusing as address is actually Santa Clara
-originally filed in Seattle based on 5 years GC, used online portal to change address and interview was quickly re-scheduled
-short security screening, then check-in at front desk to get a waiting ticket number, takes 5 minutes
-appt. time was 2pm, 1 hour delay, did not get called until 3pm  - I was the last appointment
-officer had a trainee with them
-take oath 
-take webcam picture and fingerprints
-reviews N400 applicant in detail, correct any missing fields, looks at passport to confirm international trips and asked me for approximate durations of each trip, added in trips that happened after applying 
-reads and asks you to answer all the security/allegiance questions 
-english test: Read "Who lives in the White House?" and write on an ipad "The president lives in the white house" 
-civics test: taken directly from the booklet guide given at the biometrics appt. just reviewed that booklet a couple days prior and questions are easy. Also used this website that has the questions in electronic quiz form: https://civicsquestions.com/
-got recommendation for approval, stated there would be a final review and then oath ceremony letter to be mailed later (could not give accurate timeline for receiving, only that one can make an appointment if not heard back in 120 days)
-received envelope with passport application that can be turned in at the oath ceremony (but only if you have a morning slot, afternoon has to apply at post office)
-with waiting and appointment, total time was about 2 hours

Hope this informs and helps someone. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Belated Congratulations! How long did you get scheduled for the Oath taking? DId that passport application mailed with your oath taking ceremony notice? 

THank you

Timeline

@Elle Worth my interview was 11/4 and oath ceremony was 11/26. The passport application needs the naturalization certificate from the oath ceremony so you can go to a post office after the oath ceremony. At the ceremony I also received a copy of the passport application form, although that form is available publicly as well. Hope that helps. 

9 hours ago, bpd_93 said:

@Elle Worth my interview was 11/4 and oath ceremony was 11/26. The passport application needs the naturalization certificate from the oath ceremony so you can go to a post office after the oath ceremony. At the ceremony I also received a copy of the passport application form, although that form is available publicly as well. Hope that helps. 

Thats not a long wait from the date of  your interview. I know that the  naturalization certificate  is a REQUIREMENT to apply for the US Passport.Thank you for your help. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.