Patient teacher

interview for citizenship

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey visa Journey family

After nearly 20 years my husband finally has his citienship interview. I'm wondering what to expect. I'm going with him and then flying off to a conference. Is this where they will ask him questions about our gov, will they have the swearing in ceremony?

Can I go in with him?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In general they will administer the US civics test, if he gets the first six questions correct, then he will pass without needing to answer anymore.  Then they will do the English test, both speaking and writing.  Then they will verify the N400 form including all the yes no questions.  These may occur in a different order, but essentially that is what my wife told me.  There are a lot of videos out there to help prepare, my wife made use of those extensively.  In our case I was not allowed to be in the room during the interview, but my wife passed easily.

Good Luck to your husband!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Patient teacher said:

Is this where they will ask him questions about our gov, will they have the swearing in ceremony?

Can I go in with him?

You can read about the "naturalization examination" in the USCIS Policy Manual here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-b-chapter-3

The relevant portion is quoted below:

C. Initial Naturalization Examination

All naturalization applicants must appear for an in-person examination before a USCIS officer after filing an Application for Naturalization (Form N-400). The applicant’s examination includes both the interview and the administration of the English and civics tests. The applicant’s interview is a central part of the naturalization examination. The officer conducts the interview with the applicant to review and examine all factors relating to the applicant’s eligibility. 

The officer places the applicant under oath and interviews the applicant on the questions and responses in the applicant’s naturalization application. The initial naturalization examination includes:

• An officer’s review of information provided in the applicant’s naturalization application,

• The administration of tests on the educational requirements for naturalization; and

• An officer’s questions relating to the applicant’s eligibility for naturalization.

The applicant’s written responses to questions on his or her naturalization application are part of the documentary record signed under penalty of perjury. The written record includes any amendments to the responses in the application that the officer makes in the course of the naturalization interview as a result of the applicant’s testimony. The amendments, sworn affidavits, and oral statements and answers document the applicant’s testimony and representations during the naturalization interview(s). 

At the officer’s discretion, he or she may record the interview by a mechanical, electronic, or videotaped device, may have a transcript made, or may prepare an affidavit covering the testimony of the applicant. The applicant or his or her authorized attorney or representative may request a copy of the record of proceedings through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

The officer provides the applicant with a notice of results at the end of the examination regardless of the outcome. The notice provides the outcome of the examination and should explain what the next steps are in cases that are continued.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.