Rlyn76

Petition to Parents, Form I 130

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
13 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

Medicare is a benefit that is earned by being paid into as you work. It takes a certain number of quarters of eligible work in the US to obtain Medicare benefits. It is highly unlikely either parent will qualify. After they have been LPRs for five years they can buy into Medicare. In the meantime you will need to provide health insurance through a private insurer or from the market place but they do not qualify for the subsidy.

Ok Thank you. This private insurance cost I think becomes an important factor in the parent's immigration considerations. Who qualifies for the subsidy then? I just started looking into healthcare.gov to see if I can get more info on this.

1 hour ago, Vabsmith said:

On a separate topic where I can research about getting health insurance for parents ( one is less than 65 and other more than65 yo) once they  come over to usa as immigrant? I was under the impression that after the age of 65 there might be a medicare benefit that kicks in?

www.healthcare.gov

They’re not gonna qualify for anything (Medicare/Medicaid) for 5 years

they do not qualify for the subsidy.

Yes they do

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
35 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

www.healthcare.gov

They’re not gonna qualify for anything (Medicare/Medicaid) for 5 years

Yes they do

I read a few different posts related to this topic and if I understand it right--

If the parents have low income then they might be eligible for subsidized Obamacare insurance... is that somewhat right?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Qualifier, if the new executive order regarding public charge is upheld (currently in the courts) then receiving the subsidy will be a negative mark to them obtaining a green card.

I read a few different posts related to this topic and if I understand it right--

If the parents have low income then they might be eligible for subsidized Obamacare insurance... is that somewhat right?

No, it is 100% right.

The ACA called for expansion of Medicaid to all adults with income up to 138 percent of the poverty level, and no exchange subsidies for enrollees with income below the poverty level, since they’re supposed to have Medicaid instead. But Medicaid isn’t available in most states to recent immigrants until they’ve been lawfully present in the U.S. for five years. To get around this problem, Congress included a provision in the ACA to allow recent immigrants to get subsidies in the exchange regardless of how low their income is.

Low-income, lawfully present immigrants – who would be eligible for Medicaid based on income, but are barred from Medicaid because of their immigration status – are eligible to enroll in plans through the exchange with full subsidies during the five years when Medicaid is not available. Their premiums for the second-lowest-cost Silver plan are capped at 2.08 percent of income in 2019 (this number changes slightly each year).

Source: https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/how-immigrants-are-getting-health-coverage/"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.