ValentinB

Applying for CR-1 while living abroad

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My wife, Darling, and I, Valentin, got married two weeks ago in Virginia.

She is a US Citizen and I am a French Citizen.

We've been living together in France for two years now.

We spent 3 months this summer accross the whole East Coast and we suddenly decided that it was the right time and place for us to get married.

So my family flew over and we organized our wedding in two weeks ( And it was amazing! 😄 ).

Now, we are back to Paris.

Our ultimate goal is to live permanently in the US.

I know a little bit about the Spousal CR-1 Visa process but I think that it is a bit different when the US Citizen who's sponsoring his/her spouse is also living abroad.

I know that we have to show that we make a certain amount of money for the affidavit of support. My concern is that this income is supposed to be US based.

How can we show the USCIS that we won't be a charge for the US Government?

Thanks a lot and have a great day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Income does not have to be US based

just need to file IRS tax returns for every year (even when living outside the USA)

exemption is well over $100,000 for federal taxes

but you will need to pay into SS and Medicare

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

5 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

I'm afraid it does, unless you can get the employer to sign a letter stating that the income will continue once you move to the US. 

(Presumably your employer in France doesn't have a US branch that is willing to hire you?)

Your other alternative is to use assets, or get a joint sponsor with US-based income. 

16 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

just need to file IRS tax returns for every year (even when living outside the USA)

exemption is well over $100,000 for federal taxes

but you will need to pay into SS and Medicare

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

Income used to sponsor a spouse must be from a source that will continue, which more often than not, means it is US-based.

2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Income used to sponsor a spouse must be from a source that will continue, which more often than not, means it is US-based.

That it will continue for how many years? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.