howthelightgetsin

Question 38 - I219F form timing of I-134 Affidavit of Support form

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm filling in the I219 visa form with my Fiance for the K1 Visa. Question 38 asks if your fiance is currently in the US, then if so requests you fill this section. I am not currently in the US. However, the instructions for the same question requests details of the fiance’s (aka my) “most-recent entry” to the US. Which was back in May of this year. Does anyone know whether I should leave it blank or fill it in? 

A second question, if anyone would be so kind to help me out with something else, is whether the I-134 Affidavit of Support needs to be filed with the i219 or if this comes following initial approval. Most of the information I've seen suggests that it should be filed later, but I have seen conflicting information. 

Any advice gratefully received, 
Sean 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

When you're not curently in the US then you leave it blank as the instruction states. 

For the I-134, fill it after you receive the NOA2.  

On 9/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, Letspaintcookies said:

When you're not curently in the US then you leave it blank as the instruction states. 

For the I-134, fill it after you receive the NOA2.  

Hi, sorry, I'm just finding this a bit confusing. The form guidance states (my emphasis):

Item Numbers 37. - 38.h. Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record. Select the box to indicate whether your beneficiary has ever been in the United States. Provide the date of your beneficiary’s most recent entry in the United States, his or her I-94 Arrival-Departure Record Number, if available, and his or her immigration status at the time of arrival (for example, student, tourist, temporary worker, without inspection). Provide the expiration date and identification numbers on the I-94 or I-95 Arrival-Departure Records, travel documents, and or passports. See the What Evidence Should You Submit section of these Instructions for additional information.

Obviously the answer to whether I have ever been in the United States, and whether I am currently in the United States have different answers! And I wouldn't want to deprive USCIS of any information they might need (eg passport details) and create delays. Any help gratefully received. 

Thanks, 
Sean 

25 minutes ago, howthelightgetsin said:

Hi, sorry, I'm just finding this a bit confusing. The form guidance states (my emphasis):

Item Numbers 37. - 38.h. Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record. Select the box to indicate whether your beneficiary has ever been in the United States. Provide the date of your beneficiary’s most recent entry in the United States, his or her I-94 Arrival-Departure Record Number, if available, and his or her immigration status at the time of arrival (for example, student, tourist, temporary worker, without inspection). Provide the expiration date and identification numbers on the I-94 or I-95 Arrival-Departure Records, travel documents, and or passports. See the What Evidence Should You Submit section of these Instructions for additional information.

Obviously the answer to whether I have ever been in the United States, and whether I am currently in the United States have different answers! And I wouldn't want to deprive USCIS of any information they might need (eg passport details) and create delays. Any help gratefully received. 

Thanks, 
Sean 

I had the same confusion when I was filling out my I-129F form. I've been to the US before but at the time I'm applying for K-1 I am already living outside the US.

What I did is what @Letspaintcookies suggested - I left it blank as I am not in the US anymore.

But I also added a printed copy of my recent I-94 and US visa stamps in my passport in the list of documents I submitted just to let them know I have previous US travel history - though I don't think this is really needed (just for my peace of mind).

Then my petition got approved, we just received our NOA2. :)

Edited by silvertruck

2016-04-22     Met in NJ, USA

2019-01-16     Engagement

K-1                                                                             AOS                                                                        ROC

2019-05-22     I-129F Submission                              2020-05-22    I-485/I-765/I-131 Submission       2023-03-07   I-751 Submission

2019-06-19     NOA1 received                                     2020-06-04    NOA1 received                                   2023-03-08  NOA1 received

2019-09-19     NOA2 received                                     2021-02-25    I-765/I-131 (APPROVED)

2020-01-16     Embassy interview (APPROVED)      2021-04-30    I-485 (APPROVED)

2020-03-15     US POE (JFK)

2020-04-09     Wedding

20 minutes ago, silvertruck said:

I had the same confusion when I was filling out my I-129F form. I've been to the US before but at the time I'm applying for K-1 I am already living outside the US.

What I did is what @Letspaintcookies suggested - I left it blank as I am not in the US anymore.

But I also added a printed copy of my recent I-94 and US visa stamps in my passport in the list of documents I submitted just to let them know I have previous US travel history - though I don't think this is really needed (just for my peace of mind).

Then my petition got approved, we just received our NOA2. :)

Thanks silvertruck. It's reassuring to hear you got approved. I've included my i-94 in the pack and will add the passport stamps.
And congratulations! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.