SamiRebecca

Can I open my K1 medical exam envelope after entering the US?

7 posts in this topic

So, when I entered the US, the CBP officer didn't want my medical exam envelope and gave it back to me. Am I allowed to open it so that I can take a copy of the D-3025 vaccination form or do I need to keep it unopened and send the whole envelope with my AOS package? The reason why I'm asking and not just sending it unopened is that I would not like to send the original documents to USCIS in case they get lost. Also, I have heard people need to present the D-3025 at the AOS interview later too. 

The envelope says "To be presented at US immigration" and it's from a medical center in Finland. US immigration at Orlando Airport did not want it. This is the envelope that contains my chest x-ray, vaccination reports and lab results.

Unless things have changed, you should have received the X-rays CD and a copy of the vaccination records after your medical examination. Aside from that, the actual results should have been in a sealed envelope for the embassy/consulate, that you carried with you for the interview or was sent by the clinic where the medical took place. 

Once you received your visa, you should have received a big envelope as well, containing your WHOLE alien file, that was to be surrendered at the point of entry. That is the one they should keep.

Was that the case? 

Even if they didnt wanted the envelope at the POE ( probably because they already received everything online from the embassy ) it's not supposed to be opened by you so you should send it unopened with your AOS paket.

Actually the doctor should have handed you the CD with your x-ray and the D-3025.

Maybe call USCIS and ask them what to do. Since that's happening more often now it would be nice to know what they say about it.

34 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Unless things have changed, you should have received the X-rays CD and a copy of the vaccination records after your medical examination. Aside from that, the actual results should have been in a sealed envelope for the embassy/consulate, that you carried with you for the interview or was sent by the clinic where the medical took place. 

Once you received your visa, you should have received a big envelope as well, containing your WHOLE alien file, that was to be surrendered at the point of entry. That is the one they should keep.

Was that the case? 

Yes, I had two sealed envelopes: one from the doctor and one large brown one from the embassy. The officer at the POE took the brown envelope to himself. Does this mean I don't have to submit a D-3025? 

I didn't receive any CD or vaccination report for the doctor besides the one in this unopened envelope that is addressed to US immigration.

The originals of the medical results should have been in the brown envelope the officer kept. 

You must send the DS-3025 when filing for AOS, even if they already have the medical results; otherwise, you risk receiving an RFE -which will delay the process-.

So I guess your choices are:

-opening the envelope, sending just a photocopy, keeping the originals,

-sending the whole envelope, losing any proof of the medical for your own personal file, 

-filing for AOS without the DS-3025 and waiting for the RFE.

You could also call the clinic in Finland to ask if they sent the originals to the embassy/consulate or the envelope you have are the originals.

7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The originals of the medical results should have been in the brown envelope the officer kept. 

You must send the DS-3025 when filing for AOS, even if they already have the medical results; otherwise, you risk receiving an RFE -which will delay the process-.

So I guess your choices are:

-opening the envelope, sending just a photocopy, keeping the originals,

-sending the whole envelope, losing any proof of the medical for your own personal file, 

-filing for AOS without the DS-3025 and waiting for the RFE.

You could also call the clinic in Finland to ask if they sent the originals to the embassy/consulate or the envelope you have are the originals.

Would there be any reason for the USCIS to ask for this envelope, as it's supposed to be given at the POE anyway? If I open it and copy the DS-3025 for the AOS package and just keep this envelope for myself until the end of time, how would they even know I opened it or even that I had it in the first place, as they would assume I gave it to the CBP officer at POE. I could say the officer scanned them and gave me copies. The envelope doesn't strictly say "only opened by US immigration" but instead "to be presented at US immigration".

I did submit the original medical documents to the embassy in a larger envelope (it didn't have the CD though) so they were most likely in the brown envelope.

1 hour ago, SamiRebecca said:

Would there be any reason for the USCIS to ask for this envelope, as it's supposed to be given at the POE anyway? If I open it and copy the DS-3025 for the AOS package and just keep this envelope for myself until the end of time, how would they even know I opened it or even that I had it in the first place, as they would assume I gave it to the CBP officer at POE. I could say the officer scanned them and gave me copies. The envelope doesn't strictly say "only opened by US immigration" but instead "to be presented at US immigration".

I did submit the original medical documents to the embassy in a larger envelope (it didn't have the CD though) so they were most likely in the brown envelope.

If you submitted the originals to the embassy, then this sealed envelope is very likely your copy. 

Maybe your clinic is fancier than the rest and like to give copies in a sealed envelope with the instructions to hand it to immigration. :P

So best choice is indeed opening it and send a copy of the DS-3025 with the AOS packet. 😊

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.