Lana S.

SLEC xray question

6 posts in this topic

I tried looking for answers online but I could not find anything similar to my case. I am aware I have lung scar - I learned about it when I was still a teenager but did not bother to have it checked/treated. So every time I undergo xray testing that scar (same size) shows. Now my husband asked me to get medical certificate But the pulmonologist said she would not give me the certificate unless I undergo treatment since I could not present any old xray. I was treated for 6 months and finished only this July. Had another xray and still showed the same result. I thought everything was okay until I decided to check online and dang! I didn’t know that it would cause more delay if the culture test at SLEC turns out positive 😓 My children already had their medical and they didn’t have any problem with IGRA. So I’m pretty sure My test would not turn out positive, would it? Because if I have then they would’ve been exposed already. I’m still waiting for my interview schedule but I can’t help but to get anxious about it.

Has anyone experienced it or does anyone know who has the same situation as mine?

thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Lana S. said:

I tried looking for answers online but I could not find anything similar to my case. I am aware I have lung scar - I learned about it when I was still a teenager but did not bother to have it checked/treated. So every time I undergo xray testing that scar (same size) shows. Now my husband asked me to get medical certificate But the pulmonologist said she would not give me the certificate unless I undergo treatment since I could not present any old xray. I was treated for 6 months and finished only this July. Had another xray and still showed the same result. I thought everything was okay until I decided to check online and dang! I didn’t know that it would cause more delay if the culture test at SLEC turns out positive 😓 My children already had their medical and they didn’t have any problem with IGRA. So I’m pretty sure My test would not turn out positive, would it? Because if I have then they would’ve been exposed already. I’m still waiting for my interview schedule but I can’t help but to get anxious about it.

Has anyone experienced it or does anyone know who has the same situation as mine?

thanks!

Requirement with SLEC during the medical is that if the x-ray shows scarring or such you would be required to complete SPUTUM.   The SPUTUM test will show if you are positive or not for TB

Bring your medical records from your other doctor to your SLEC.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

17 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Requirement with SLEC during the medical is that if the x-ray shows scarring or such you would be required to complete SPUTUM.   The SPUTUM test will show if you are positive or not for TB

Bring your medical records from your other doctor to your SLEC.

Hi Hank, thanks for responding. I’m aware of the sputum test and the culture test but I’m wondering if there’s anyone who underwent treatment but still came out positive when they did the sputum at slec? I just finished a 6-month treatment in July (only 2 months ago) and my pulmonologist said I don’t have tb because there was no change in my xray results. But after reading the cdc guidelines that if ever one tested positive, has to wait a year after the last treatment to start another treatment with slec. Which is a bit scary bec if it happens to me Then I have to wait another 18months before I get cleared. I’m just curious to know if it’s possible to be positive even after a recent tb treatment. I’ve tried looking for answers online but couldn’t find anything like that but still I get paranoid just thinking about it.   

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Lana S. said:

Hi Hank, thanks for responding. I’m aware of the sputum test and the culture test but I’m wondering if there’s anyone who underwent treatment but still came out positive when they did the sputum at slec? I just finished a 6-month treatment in July (only 2 months ago) and my pulmonologist said I don’t have tb because there was no change in my xray results. But after *reading the cdc guidelines that if ever one tested positive, has to wait a year after the last treatment to start another treatment with slec. Which is a bit scary bec if it happens to me Then I have to wait another 18months before I get cleared. I’m just curious to know if it’s possible to be positive even after a recent tb treatment. I’ve tried looking for answers online but couldn’t find anything like that but still I get paranoid just thinking about it.   

I am not a doctor, but logic says that if you completed a full treatment for TB that the "bug" should be dead.   The scars in your lung may still be there and you may end completing SPUTUM, still I don't see how you could have a positive culture ..  that is just my opinion.

*Yes that is the CDC requirement as I understand it.  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, Lana S. said:

Hi Hank, thanks for responding. I’m aware of the sputum test and the culture test but I’m wondering if there’s anyone who underwent treatment but still came out positive when they did the sputum at slec? I just finished a 6-month treatment in July (only 2 months ago) and my pulmonologist said I don’t have tb because there was no change in my xray results. But after reading the cdc guidelines that if ever one tested positive, has to wait a year after the last treatment to start another treatment with slec. Which is a bit scary bec if it happens to me Then I have to wait another 18months before I get cleared. I’m just curious to know if it’s possible to be positive even after a recent tb treatment. I’ve tried looking for answers online but couldn’t find anything like that but still I get paranoid just thinking about it.   

Latent Tb in itself should not show up in sputum. There is a 5-10% lifetime chance of reactivation of latent Tb to become active pulmonary Tb (which shows up in sputum) . Theoretically, once you have been adequately treated for latent Tb, your chance of Tb in sputum would be low. Unless, you were subsequently exposed to someone with pulmonary Tb.

On 9/9/2019 at 3:51 AM, ADW & JOP said:
On 9/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, Hank_ said:

I am not a doctor, but logic says that if you completed a full treatment for TB that the "bug" should be dead.   The scars in your lung may still be there and you may end completing SPUTUM, still I don't see how you could have a positive culture ..  that is just my opinion.

*Yes that is the CDC requirement as I understand it.  

Latent Tb in itself should not show up in sputum. There is a 5-10% lifetime chance of reactivation of latent Tb to become active pulmonary Tb (which shows up in sputum) . Theoretically, once you have been adequately treated for latent Tb, your chance of Tb in sputum would be low. Unless, you were subsequently exposed to someone with pulmonary Tb.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.