KennethBk

Texas Drivers license

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Here was how I got my permanent DL:

US entry in May 2019

*Got married within 2 weeks of entry (Got my marriage certificate within  2 weeks later in the mail)

*June:  I printed my form I-94 (Arrival record) from CBP website. If it’s not available there, call them and they will tell you either to visit their office or check back online  in few days.

*I proceeded  to the nearest SSN office (with my passport, I-94 and marriage certificate) for SSN application.You should get the SSN card within 2weeks.

*DPS needs at least two proofs of address via mail sent to you either by govt or financial institutions.Your SSN card mailed to you is one. For the second proof in my case, I used my spouse’s ID with an affidavit that’s provided on the DPS website .You can also use bank account opening docs the bank would mail to you and the second one, as long as the mail has your name printed with the address. Unless you have applied for AOS & EAD by this time and you’ve been mailed the NOAs  which can be used as proofs . I applied in 1st week of June but didn’t get the NOAs until the end of June.

*June : My application was eventually received after I met the proofs of address requirement and I did my online driving test exam there . I was given a paper DL and I got the temporary (restricted meaning you have to be driving in company of  a 21yr old & above permanent DL holder ) DL card by mail two weeks later which expired on the same date my  K-1 visa did expire.

*August : I did my road test before the temporary expired (which I will strongly suggest  you also do to avoid complications). I could have done the road test earlier but I decided to take my time with getting to know the road signs and traffic laws.

*I went back to DPS with my result in brown envelope which you’re not suppose to open and my unrestricted DL was processed.

*But

My residence status had to be confirmed by USCIS to DPS after I submitted the copies of my form 1-797C (NOA 1) for application of AOS and EAD to DPS. I was given a number (of DPS HQ in Austin) to call after 3 working  days to confirm if I’ve been verified by USCIS in order to get a permanent DL. I got the confirmation after 5 working days.

*I proceeded to the usual DPS office and I got my paper DL. The card arrived few days later after I also got a letter from DPS HQ in Austin my residence has been confirmed .

NOTE: I will strongly suggest you process your application for AOS and EAD together on time after your marriage. You can’t get a permanent DL if DPS can’t confirm your residency and that can only be done with NOAs you must have received before you apply for the permanent DL.

In case you wonder if I’ve gotten any update from USCIS so far , the only update was biometric which I did in Mid-July and I’m still waiting to hear from them .But I’m glad I can drive myself now and run few errands on my own without being accompanied.

I hope this helps, Cheerio!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
18 minutes ago, CharleneB said:

Here was how I got my permanent DL:

US entry in May 2019

*Got married within 2 weeks of entry (Got my marriage certificate within  2 weeks later in the mail)

*June:  I printed my form I-94 (Arrival record) from CBP website. If it’s not available there, call them and they will tell you either to visit their office or check back online  in few days.

*I proceeded  to the nearest SSN office (with my passport, I-94 and marriage certificate) for SSN application.You should get the SSN card within 2weeks.

*DPS needs at least two proofs of address via mail sent to you either by govt or financial institutions.Your SSN card mailed to you is one. For the second proof in my case, I used my spouse’s ID with an affidavit that’s provided on the DPS website .You can also use bank account opening docs the bank would mail to you and the second one, as long as the mail has your name printed with the address. Unless you have applied for AOS & EAD by this time and you’ve been mailed the NOAs  which can be used as proofs . I applied in 1st week of June but didn’t get the NOAs until the end of June.

*June : My application was eventually received after I met the proofs of address requirement and I did my online driving test exam there . I was given a paper DL and I got the temporary (restricted meaning you have to be driving in company of  a 21yr old & above permanent DL holder ) DL card by mail two weeks later which expired on the same date my  K-1 visa did expire.

*August : I did my road test before the temporary expired (which I will strongly suggest  you also do to avoid complications). I could have done the road test earlier but I decided to take my time with getting to know the road signs and traffic laws.

*I went back to DPS with my result in brown envelope which you’re not suppose to open and my unrestricted DL was processed.

*But

My residence status had to be confirmed by USCIS to DPS after I submitted the copies of my form 1-797C (NOA 1) for application of AOS and EAD to DPS. I was given a number (of DPS HQ in Austin) to call after 3 working  days to confirm if I’ve been verified by USCIS in order to get a permanent DL. I got the confirmation after 5 working days.

*I proceeded to the usual DPS office and I got my paper DL. The card arrived few days later after I also got a letter from DPS HQ in Austin my residence has been confirmed .

NOTE: I will strongly suggest you process your application for AOS and EAD together on time after your marriage. You can’t get a permanent DL if DPS can’t confirm your residency and that can only be done with NOAs you must have received before you apply for the permanent DL.

In case you wonder if I’ve gotten any update from USCIS so far , the only update was biometric which I did in Mid-July and I’m still waiting to hear from them .But I’m glad I can drive myself now and run few errands on my own without being accompanied.

I hope this helps, Cheerio!

Thank you for taking time to explain the steps, you have been very helpful. Yeah I’m looking at filing the AOS before the end of the month, I’ve applied for the SSN already.   Yeah it’s difficult getting around except using Uber. Hopefully everything will be sorted out. Patience and immigration, two words that go together lol

2 hours ago, KennethBk said:

Oh wow, how long did it take to get the green card ? 

It took 4 months from AOS filing to card in hand.  This was Jan.-Apr. of last year.

We were fortunate.

Finally done.

16 hours ago, HRQX said:

After you receive the I-485 receipt notice: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/documents/verifyingLawfulPresence.pdf Page 3 "Applicants for adjustment of status"

On 7/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, Jorgedig said:

As explained previously in this thread, it does not take as long as the K-1.  K-2s are listed on already approved petitions, so the only steps needed are filing the DS-160 and having the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.